This amazing article was written by Nicole, a holistic nutritionist with a strong belief that it is possible for everyone to discover how good their body is designed to feel. Nicole works in partnership with her clients to achieve a lifestyle that is both balanced, fulfilling and nourishing. Go check out her fantastic blog with healthy recipes, or follow her on Facebook!
THE SIMPLE DETOX HABIT FOR GLOWING SKIN
There are many benefits to taking part in daily gentle-detox practices. Routines such as drinking fresh lemon juice or apple cider vinegar in warm water, doing a cleansing yoga-flow with lots of twisting moves, getting in optimal water intake with added trace mineral drops , eating your bitter greens, taking a detox bath and drinking a fresh-pressed green juice are just some of my favourite ways to support my body, and give it a little boost in the healthy removal of toxic waste.
These practices are also going to: increase your energy levels, decrease stress, clear your mind, support digestion – and overall, they make you feel darn GOOD about yourself!
Your lovely liver, kidneys, lungs, skin and colon, are your superstar detoxification organs and their overall function is just critical for your optimal health and well-being. With your skin being your largest organ – and your largest detoxification organ for that matter. The Simple Detox Habit of DRY BRUSHING is a super enjoyable practice that’s going to make your skin glow, and get you detoxing fo-sho (rhyming intentional).
Hearty Soul Edit: Think you might need a detox?
Because we are constantly fighting against environmental toxins, as well as all of the toxins we eat, drink, and put on our skin, it’s often helpful to give our liver a little bit of a break. Take this quiz to see how badly you might need to detox:
Now that you’ve determined how deeply you need to detox read on to learn about how dry brushing can be an easy and effective at home detox remedy.
Why Start Dry Brushing?
A brush designed for your skin?
After reading benefit #1 – you’re gonna be naked in your bathroom reaping the benefits. Keep reading so that doesn’t sound so super-creepy.
How to Choose the Best Dry Brush
A dry brush for your skin is a made up of stiff/dense bristles. Your best quality dry brush will be made with natural fibers – not from plastic or synthetic materials. You can find these in most health food stores or on Amazon (yay online shopping). Your perfect dry brush will have bristles that are strong enough to feel ‘comfortably uncomfortable’. They shouldn’t be too soft, but it shouldn’t be painful or scratch your skin.
My favorite Dry Brushes are by Jentschura , German made, very high quality – and if you take good care of your things – you should never have to replace it!
I started out with their classic Bath Brush, I love this one because of the long handle (it’s the ultimate back scratcher). I recently upgraded to their Energy Brush, which is handle-free but has these super-cool bronze bristles made from a copper-tin alloy, which creates this super soothing effect and a pleasant tingling sensation – this is like the big-cheese of dry brushing. I’ve also got this cute little Facial Brush which is a savior on dry-face days.
Where should I begin with the benefits of dry brushing? Well, here are my 8 Reasons To Add Dry Brushing to Your Routine!
Bye-Bye Dead Skin Cells
Don’t get the hebejebes, but each day we lose over one-million skin cells. Yup. Dry brushing not only works to remove all of those lingering dead cells, but the practice also improves the overall appearance of your skin, it clears those clogged pores, and allows your skin to properly “breathe.”
Hello Skin Detox
One-third of your body’s toxins are excreted through the skin! Neat! By loosening up and removing all those dead skin cells, you’re allowing for proper skin rejuvenation! This also opens up a major pathway for excreting toxins from the body. Dry brushing is for your skin what milk thistle is for your liver.
Dry skin brushing stimulates the lymphatic system, aka your network of vessels that transport metabolic waste and important molecules to be cleansed by your lymphatic members: spleen, thymus gland, lymph nodes, liver, and tonsils. A super important system that for most of us – is sluggish. When your lymph system isn’t properly flowing, your immunity may suffer from attacks by foreign invaders, and you may be more prone to sinus infections.
Movement is essential for your lymphatic system, as it does not have a pump. It relies on muscle contractions (exercise), jumping (hello trampolines ), yoga and dry brushing!
When you dry brush, you’re showing attention to your entire body, it’s like a full-body treatment and the practice manually increases your blood flow – which aids in healing and carries nutrients throughout your body.
You’ve gotta look different after brushing off close to a million dead skin cells. Brush off those dead cells and get your natural glow on!
Reduce & Prevent Cellulite
I’ve got friends that swear by this method. Another ‘win-win’ for dry brushing – cya-cellulite! Since toxins are stored in fat, and when we dry brush, we’re helping to eliminate toxins… Dry brushing shows a potential in cellulite reduction, while also helping to tighten the skin!
Super Soft Skin
Glowing AND super soft skin? Unclogging those pores from the dirt and oil is one way that dry brushing makes your skin silky-smooth. This practice also stimulates our hormone and oil producing glands, giving us irresistibly soft skin.Energizing & Invigorating
Energizing & Invigorating
A huge reason that I recommend dry brushing as one of my ‘self-care practices’ in my stress-detox program – Recharge: Your Guide to Thrive & Be Vibrant is because it is such a simple and inexpensive way to introduce new energy . It’s going to give you a boost like you just had an awesome workout, it feels really good (once you get used to it) and it’s a beneficial way of showing your entire body some love!
Welcome to Your New Morning Dry Brushing Routine
Before your morning shower (if you’re a morning bather), makes for a great time to take part in some good-ol dry brushing. It’s going to help to energize your body and get you mentally prepared for the day ahead. Make sure your skin is dry before you proceed, it’s not ideal or enjoyable right after a sweaty workout.
1. Grab your brush, and get naked, for-real. Lock the doors if you need to.
2. Tell yourself how amazing you are, and only then we will get started. Pick up your dry brush or my favourite Energy Brush.
3. Begin with the top of your feet. I always start on my left side (since I am right handed). Begin by making gentle circular upward motions, from the tips of your toes all the way in the direction of your heart. Then repeat on the other side before you get started on your arms.
4. You always want to start at the bottom of your body and slowly make your way up to your chest. It’s important to work in this direction as it supports the natural ‘highway’ of your lymphatic system.
5. Brush slowly and be gentle, if you’re ticklish like me – it can be a challenge to brush over your tummy, sides, and chest without sniggering. Always avoid any scratches, irritated skin or open wounds – that would just be unpleasant.
6. Make sure you get your entire body from feet to neck and don’t forget your back – I sometimes call in my partner on the weekend (when I have more time) for help on all the sweet-spots on my back (it’s a pretty sight).
7. Don’t even attempt dry brushing your face, unless you have a Facial Brush, which has much softer bristles.
8. Once you’ve shown some dry brushing love to your entire body, hop in the shower and wash away all those lovely dead skin cells. Have your water anywhere from warm to hot for increased blood circulation.
9. Be sure you’re using natural shower products, you can check out this article on how to detox your personal care routine!
10. Practice Dry Brushing before every shower, or 3-4 times a week. You can complement your new Dry Brushing routine with the Jentschura AlkaBath; a mineral rich, alkalizing detox bath.
It’s time to feel fabulous!