Food is art, it’s really that simple. You wouldn’t walk into a museum and only expect to see the same shade of yellow, plastered over every piece of canvas now would you? So, why would you expose your taste buds to the flavor equivalent of this visual catastrophe by only enjoying one flavor at a time?
What follows below will teach you how to make at least 10 of the most flavorful trail mixes your tongue has ever had the pleasure of enjoying, if not more.
Traditional trail mix (while bland by today’s standards) is a feat of culinary genius. Bring together the flavors of savory and sweet might seem like a bad idea at first, but after one handful of the stuff it is hard to deny just how right it is.
Part of trail mixes charm is that there is no one set recipe for the energy boosting snack.
Although Trail mix is traditionally made of nuts and dried fruits, such as raisins, the delightful snack can be redesigned to fit the taste preference of any individual.
The Basic Ingredients
Nuts are full of protein and healthy fat making them perfect for an active snack enthusiast. Nuts are also loaded with fiber, antioxidants, vitamin E, and other essential vitamins and minerals. To keep your sugar and sodium levels under control make sure to make your personal trail mix with unsalted, unsweetened nuts.
While building your trail mix recipe; experiment with a variety of nuts including: Almonds, pistachios, cashews, peanuts, walnuts, macadamia nuts, hazelnuts, Brazil nuts, pecans, and pine nuts are also good options to start out with. For those with nut allergies seeds are a perfect supplement that will give many of the same health benefits as nuts.
Let’s face it, fruits in general are delicious. Not only are they packed with natural sugars they are full of an assortment of vitamins and nutrients that the body can use to help optimize its energy throughout the day. However, like all good thing; fruits (especially dried fruits) need to be consumed in moderation.
Dried fruits are very high in natural sugar so when adding them to trail mixes make sure that they occupy no more than 30 percent of the overall content. Especially sweet dried fruits include: Dried apples, cherries, cranberries, berries, blueberries, strawberries, apricots, raisins, banana chips, figs, pineapple chunks, and mangos.
10 Healthy Simple Recipe Options
- The Simple: Almonds, dried cherries, dark chocolate chips, sea salt, cinnamon.
- Gorp (good old raisins and peanuts) : Peanuts, raisins, (optional dark chocolate)
- Tropical mix: Cashews, Brazil nuts, dried mango, coconut flakes, banana chips.
- Fall Flavors: Pecans, dried apples, maple granola, pumpkin seeds, nutmeg, cinnamon.
- Savory Seeds: Almonds, pumpkin seeds, sunflower seeds, garlic powder, onion powder, cayenne pepper.
- Power Mix: Goji berries, pistachios, dried blueberries, flax seeds, dark chocolate chips.
- Rich and Creamy: Coconut flakes, Dark chocolate chips, hazelnuts, Almonds, Cashews.
- Beachy: Macadamia nuts, Cashews, dried pineapple, coconut flakes.
- Raw Energy: Walnuts, pumpkin seeds, sunflower seeds, cinnamon, nutmeg, sea salt, dried apricots, dried cranberries.
- Banana Crunch: Banana chips, peanuts, sea salt, almonds, dark chocolate chips, raisins, coconut flakes.
Mixing and matching is all a part of the fun and wonder that makes trail mix so delicious. You don’t have to stick to any one recipe, try out a few and see what flavors you love to bring together.
A Special Message From Our Founders
Over the past few years of working with health experts all over the world, there’s one major insight we’ve learned.
Most health problems can often be resolved with a good diet, exercise and a few powerful superfoods. In fact, we’ve gone through hundreds of scientific papers and ‘superfood’ claims and only selected the top 5% that are:
- Backed by scientific research
- Simple to use
We then put this valuable information into the Superfood as Medicine Guide: a 100+ page guide on the 7 most powerful superfoods available, including:
- Exact dosages for every health ailment
- DIY recipes to create your own products
- Simple recipes
This offer is only available until December 31st, 2017. Make sure to grab your copy before the offer runs out.