Friends and family gathered around for a traditional Sunday roast to celebrate a huge milestone for a pair of twins known affectionately as Rene and Phil. The celebration centered around the twins as friends and family were gathered for their one-hundredth birthday together.
Sharing a lot
The pair, Irene Crump and Phyllis Jones, who are very close, have celebrated all of their important birthdays together, including their ninetieth and ninety-ninth. They attended the same school and shared their first job at Steatite Porcelain Products before Irene married farmer Samuel Crump. Even though they look incredibly similar, they are not identical twins but are just exceptionally close. The pair even shares each other’s first name as a middle name.
A hundred years old
They are born on November 20, 1916, with Irene being the younger of the two, they now live in Stourport, Worcester. She added that “We’ve always been close and we live together now, Phyllis moved in with me five years ago.” (2)
In good shape
They are both in good shape for a pair of a hundred-year-olds, but Irene says’s she can’t walk very far now, but Phyllis continues to walk around the block every day. Irene added that she’s always been the ‘plumper’ of the pair, being a farmer’s wife, she wasn’t thin like Phyllis.
Unfortunately, Phyllis has developed vascular dementia, a disease caused by reduced blood supply to the brain due to diseased blood vessels (4). So her son Carl and his wife stop by nearly every day.
Get your Free copy of The Wicked Good Ketogenic Diet Cookbook
This free cookbook is jampacked with 148 delicious ketogenic recipes that will help you burn fat like crazy!
A Special Birthday Gift
The only thing they wanted for their birthday was donations to the air ambulance. Irene said “We didn’t want presents, we just wanted donations. We haven’t got all the money in yet but we think we’ve done pretty well, it’s a cause close to our heart.” (2)
What’s their secret?
But what’s the secret behind their success? How did they manage to live to a hundred unscathed by so many things? Well, as Irene puts it “Hard work and good food is our secret, that’s all I can put it down to.”(2) So there you have it, the right attitude and eating have helped them become one of six sets of centenarian twins in the UK.
Longevity seems to run in their family as their older sister passed away in 2006 at the age of 92. And both of their husbands lived into their nineties with Samuel (Irene’s husband) dying in 1999 and Phyllis’ husband dying aged 91, in 2006. And even though Irene never had children, Phyllis’ son Carl, who is now retired, comes by almost daily to check on them. He say’s “They live independently and they’re doing great, and if there’s an emergency they’ll ring me.” (2)
Evidently, they get along, but according to Carl, “They get on well, but they do have their moments – but that’s going to happen whether they’re 100 or 20!” (2)
Even though Irene and Phyllis are really close, Carl commented on how different they are. Saying “they’re totally different though-Auntie Rene has always been very methodical and careful, but mum always races around doing things.” (2)
Happy Birthday, Irene and Phyllis, and thankyou for your example!
(1) Brightside. Twin sisters celebrated their 100th birthday and asked for an unusual gift https://brightside.me/wonder-people/twin-sisters-celebrated-their-100th-birthday-and-asked-for-an-unusual-gift-274260/ Accessed: January 3, 2017.
(2) Huffingtonpost. 100-year-old twins celebrate milestone birthday and reveal secret to a long life http://www.huffingtonpost.co.uk/entry/twins-irene-and-phyllis-turn-100-years-old_uk_583812c9e4b0ddedcf5ca089 Published: November 25, 2016. Accessed: January 3, 2017.
(3) Yahoo news. Twin sisters celebrate 100th birthday – and they still live together!https://uk.news.yahoo.com/twin-sisters-celebrate-100th-birthday-and-they-still-live-together-141356383.html Published: November 24, 2016. Accessed: January 3, 2017.
(4) Alzheimer’s society. What is vascular dementia? https://www.alzheimers.org.uk/site/scripts/documents_info.php?documentID=161 Accessed: January 3, 2017.
(5) Youtube. 100-year-old twins celebrate with roast – BBC news https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_PYEKExs4iU Published: December 5, 2016. Accessed: January 3, 2017.
A quick note from our founders
Have you been curious about the Ketogenic Diet? You're not alone!
Going "Keto" has helped so many of our friends drop weight and keep it off.
And it's the perfect time to try it because right now you can get a free copy of a brand new cookbook called
This cookbook is jampacked with 148 delicious ketogenic recipes that will help you burn fat like crazy. Even stubborn belly and thigh fat won't stand a chance because your body will have NO CHOICE but to burn that fat for fuel!
If you've struggled to get rid of stubborn fat, you owe it to yourself to test-drive the keto diet and see how effective it really is. It’ll be easy once you have this free cookbook...
HURRY, this FREE offer won’t last long!