The health of our bodies is, quite literally, determined by the health of our gut and the health of our gut is determined by how well balanced our good and bad bacteria is. There’s an entire complex ecosystem of bacteria living in your gut, involving hundreds of species. In fact, we have more bacteria in our bodies than there have ever been people on the planet.
The good bacteria in our gut is there to stimulate the immune system, inhibit pathogens, help us break down foods (starches in particular), and even affect our mental capability.
This precious ecosystem becomes threatened when we don’t look after our bodies the way that we should. When we eat poor food, abuse ourselves with alcohol and drugs, become ill, contract a parasite and take antibiotics, our health-protecting good bacteria become annihilated.
A healthy diet is the foundation of a healthy gut, but taking probiotics and consuming probiotic foods and drinks is a simple and natural way to supercharge your gut health.
What Is Kefir and Why Should We Drink It?
Unlike yogurt, kefir can actually colonize the intestinal tract.
Coconut milk kefir is one of the easiest of fermented foods to make at home. You don’t need any fancy kitchen equipment or expensive health foods, just a few household items which are probably sitting in your kitchen as you read this.
So what are you waiting for? Grab yourself a glass jar, a coconut, some kefir grains and be on your way to gracious gut health in just 2 easy steps!
Our newest fat-burning dessert recipe book just released and we’ve reserved a free digital copy for you! Click the button and simply let me know where you want us to email it and you’ll have it in your inbox today…Grab my free copy
Kefir Grains…What Are They And Where Do I Find Them?
Kefir grains are combinations of living yeast and bacteria called “grains” however they are not a grain or related in any way to the grain family. They are a living organism and look like little cauliflower florets. Kefir grains are not always easy to come by, so if you can’t get a hold of them, we find a powdered starter culture such as Donna Gates’ Body Ecology’s Kefir Starter Kit works a treat!
Coconut Milk Kefir Recipe
What You’ll Need
- 1 tablespoon kefir grains or kefir starter
- 1-2 cups coconut milk (make your own, or use a carton / can of organic coconut milk without additives and sweeteners as they can be hard on the kefir grains)
- Glass Jar
- Mesh cloth
- Rubber band
- Combine the kefir grains or kefir starter (as directed on the packet) with the coconut milk in a glass jar. Cover with a cloth secured with a rubber band and let it sit on your bench (a warm environment is best for fermenting) for 12-24 hours. Give your kefir a few shakes or stirs after about 12 hours.
- Once the coconut milk has thickened and has a slightly sour flavor, it has turned into kefir. Strain the mixture through a fine plastic strainer to remove the grains (you can re-use the grains later by storing them in a glass jar in the fridge). Store the kefir in the fridge and enjoy.
- Kefir doesn’t like metal, so never use a metal container to make kefir or a metal spoon to stir. This disrupts the process and the kefir won’t thicken. Use glass containers and wood or plastic spoons.
- If your kefir doesn’t thicken within 24 hours, it might be that the temperature in your house isn’t warm enough.
What Really Is Superfood? – Real Talk with Nadia and Alina
Have You Ever Made Kefir Before?
This article was republished with permission from hungryforchange.tv.
A Special Message From Our Founders
Over the past few years of working with health experts all over the world, there’s one major insight we’ve learned.
Most health problems can often be resolved with a good diet, exercise and a few powerful superfoods. In fact, we’ve gone through hundreds of scientific papers and ‘superfood’ claims and only selected the top 5% that are:
- Backed by scientific research
- Simple to use
We then put this valuable information into the Superfood as Medicine Guide: a 100+ page guide on the 7 most powerful superfoods available, including:
- Exact dosages for every health ailment
- DIY recipes to create your own products
- Simple recipes