Are you tired of finding out that your beloved veggies and fruits have gone bad? What, in your opinion, causes this? Well, the truth is that whatever that cause is, it is time to put a stop to it. And in the meantime, those almost ruined vegetables do not have to be thrown out. We can show you how to restore them, but let us warn you – this will require certain changes in the ways that you handle and store your fruits and vegetables. You may find out that our ways require more time and more effort and we are not going to lie – more time and effort will be required. But think about coming home from work and preparing yourself and your family a delicious salad using vegetables fresh as if they were bought today. It sounds as if it is totally worth it, right? Well, let’s not lose any more time.
Why do fruits and vegetables go bad?
There are some causes that can lead to limp vegetables that we tend to throw out. One factor is the damage caused by various microorganisms, such as Moraxella, Acinetobacter, and Pseudomonas, all of which are classified as aerobic gram-negative bacterium species. Bruising is also a factor that contributes to damaged produce. Another factor is the improper way of storing. Keeping your vegetables in areas with high temperature or even in the freezer stored in containers where there is no way to breathe are also common causes. The way you store your already cut up vegetables is also a big factor. You cannot leave them on the counter and expect them to be fresh as just bought in the days that follow.
20 hacks that will save your almost ruined fruits and vegetables
- Prepare delicious zucchini burgers – Clean the zucchinis well and then grate them. Add a few eggs, some salt, and pepper, as well as a small amount of soy sauce, and get yourself delicious and healthy zucchini burgers that your kids will surely love.
- Turn your cucumbers into pickles – Who does not love pickles so why not prepare a jar or two with everyone’s favorite pickles. All that you need to do is gather your almost ruined cucumbers, get your jars and stuff them in. Then add a mixture of salt and sugar and put them in the fridge. When you notice that the salt and sugar are dissolved add equal parts of water and vinegar and wait at least 24 hours to get your own homemade pickles.
- Prepare a smoothie or a cream soup – Next time you notice that your kale or spinach has gone limp or bad, do not throw it out. Just pick the leaves that seem as good and add a few other ingredients alongside to your blender to prepare a delicious and healthy smoothie or a cream soup. Preparing a smoothie using green leafy foods is especially recommended for those of you who are suffering from arthritis since they are among the best anti-inflammatory foods out there.
- Turn your lemons into lemonade – When you notice that your lemons are overripe, the best solution is to make a delicious lemonade that will refresh you in these long, summer days.
- Bake your potatoes – If you boil or fry your almost ruined potatoes, the chances are that you are not going to enjoy their taste. A potato that has gone bad will feel softer than the other potatoes and the skin of the potato will also be discolored. But all that can change if you choose baking which as a big plus is a way healthier cooking choice than frying. Slice your potatoes, add all the spices that you have in your kitchen and you have yourself a lunch for the day without throwing perfectly edible potatoes.
- Prepare carrot chips – Slice the carrots as thin as you can, lay them down in a baking pan and throw some spices on them. Put them in the oven and enjoy the healthy carrot chips that you have prepared since it is the perfect snack for when watching a movie.
- Save your broccoli – Cut the broccoli into florets, put them in the fridge for 30 minutes soaked in cold water and after that just make sure that you dry the florets before adding them to your cream soup or chicken or whatever. The broccoli will be as fresh as bought from the market. Plus, you will get the chance to enjoy their beneficial effects which make them a part of every healthy diet plan that there is.
- Prepare a delicious apple pie – Do not throw out your bruised apples, bake a delicious apple pie instead. Just remember to cut out the especially bruised parts and clean your apples good.
- Prepare a pizza – Use your almost ruined tomatoes and mushrooms to prepare a delicious homemade pizza as your lunch choice today. Also remember that tomatoes should actually not be stored in the refrigerator like many people do. These foods come from warm climates and you should rather store them in a location that is room temperature. A full ripe tomato, however, can be stored in the refrigerator without suffering damage to its texture, flavor and color.
- Roast your root vegetables – Gather your day’s old carrots, beets, turnips and other root vegetables that you can find in your kitchen and roast them to get the perfect side to your noodles, rice, and chicken.
- Turn your green beans into a healthy snack – Clean those green beans and cut them so that they would fit a jar. Fill the jar with a very small amount of salt (to taste), as well as some water and leave them in the fridge for a week. You will have your healthy snack without throwing away perfectly good food.
- Prepare a savory pie – When you are preparing a savory pie you do not have to use fresh vegetables which mean that this is the perfect option to use all those day-old vegetables that you have been saving.
- Prepare a casserole – Another great option that will allow you to use all those day-old vegetables without even noticing the difference in the taste is a casserole. Trust us; you will not be sorry.
- Prepare a soup – Use the mixture of your old carrots, spinach, peas, beans, celery, cauliflower, and zucchinis to prepare a delicious soup that you will serve before the main meal at today’s lunch.
- Green leafy super smoothie – Green vegetables are incredibly rich in nutrients, so they should not go to waste. If you have green leafy vegetables that are about to go bad, prepare your favorite smoothie and add them to the mixture.
- Bake that asparagus – Noticing that your asparagus has gotten a brown color is sure not a good view. But you can change things up by simply baking your asparagus, and its fabulous taste will be back in just a few minutes.
- Prepare your homemade ice cream – Use those almost-gone bad blackberries, strawberries, raspberries, grapes and yogurt to prepare a delicious homemade ice cream which is much healthier as compared with the store bought one.
- Bake a banana bread – Instead of buying one, prepare your own banana bread using those bruised bananas that as just as sweet as the fresh ones.
- Prepare a salad – Have you noticed a bit of mold on your cabbage? Do not throw it away. Simply, cut off the mold part and prepare a delicious salad instead. Note that, should the cabbage have dark brown or black spots on its outside, then it should not be used. Also, if the cabbage’s texture is mushy and slimy, disregard it instead.
- Prepare a sauce using your peaches – Bruised peaches should not be thrown away. Instead of, they should be used to prepare a tasty sauce to which they will add their special taste that you will enjoy in.
Food waste is a big problem that everyone needs to work on. And while there are people starving, we tend to throw out are easily bruised or limp fruits and vegetables. So with the hopes to help you save both your money and your food, we have dedicated this article on 20 hacks that will help you save your fruits and vegetables instead of just throwing them out and buying new ones. Take the time and the patience and prepare delicious meals that your whole family will be grateful for.
A Special Message From Our Founders
Over the past few years of working with health experts all over the world, there’s one major insight we’ve learned.
Most health problems can often be resolved with a good diet, exercise and a few powerful superfoods. In fact, we’ve gone through hundreds of scientific papers and ‘superfood’ claims and only selected the top 5% that are:
- Backed by scientific research
- Simple to use
We then put this valuable information into the Superfood as Medicine Guide: a 100+ page guide on the 7 most powerful superfoods available, including:
- Exact dosages for every health ailment
- DIY recipes to create your own products
- Simple recipes
This offer is only available until December 31st, 2017. Make sure to grab your copy before the offer runs out.