For some of us, it doesn’t matter how carefully we eat, or how much we work out, we can’t seem to drop that belly fat and get our bodies back in shape. For many, this is down to a slow metabolism; essentially your body has slowed the rate at which it burns calories making the calories we put in harder to burn off!
If you’re on a weight loss journey, you may have found you no longer burn calories as fast as you could before. This is because as you lose weight, your metabolism begins to slow (your body doesn’t have as much of itself to move around as it did before so it doesn’t use energy as quickly) which can be really frustrating, but shows you’re on the right track!
Metabolism and How It Affects Weight Loss
A big part of your metabolic rate is fixed thanks to the genes you’re born with, but we’ve compiled a simple and effective gym-free workout to give you a helping hand at blasting that belly fat by increasing your metabolism. Plus, you can easily turn any room in your home into your own personal workout zone, complete with quality gym mats to help keep you stabilized during floor workouts.
This workout has been specifically designed to build muscle and increase bone mass and you’ll be able to complete the entire workout in under 5 minutes, so can fit it into your day no matter how hectic your schedule is.
Start with 1 set of each until you are comfortable with the moves and gradually work up to doing 5 sets before moving onto the next. Be sure to stay hydrated throughout your workout.
Plank Walk Tuck Reach
This move’s name tells you pretty much everything you need to know!
- Start standing with your feet together and your arms up.
- Hinge at your hips, bringing your hands to the floor, working to keep your legs as straight as possible (a slight bend doesn’t matter, just avoid crouching)!
- Next, walk your hands forward along the floor, lowering your butt as you go, until you reach a plank position and your body is straight.
- In one explosive move, jump your feet forwards to meet your hands and you’ll be in a crouching position.
- Then simply reverse the move: jump back to plank, and walk your hands backward to your feet before standing up with arms raised.
- Do this at a high intensity for 30 seconds, and that’s a set!
As you increase the number of sets, remember to rest for 30-60 seconds between each to give your body a chance to recover a little.
X Switch Jumps
- Start with the feet together and then jump into a diagonal lunge. Imagine a clock-face on the floor and try and land your right foot at 2 o’clock and your left at 8 o’clock. Make sure your feet are facing forwards and be very careful not to let your knee jut out past your ankle!
- Jump again and switch the legs this time, land the left leg at 10 o’clock and the right at 4 o’clock.
- This exercise is another 30-second set and aim to perform it with a very high intensity.
Like with our first move, it is vital to take your 30-60 second rests between sets.
Bear Crawl Escape
No, this doesn’t require any bears, though that would certainly get us moving!
- In this move you want to start in the plank position with your wrists in line with your shoulders.
- Then bend your knees and bring them to a position under your hips, keeping your heels lifted.
- Without your heels touching the ground, jump from side to side, then back to a plank before coming back into having your knees under your hips again.
Like all of the exercises, you’ll want to do this as hard as you can for 30 seconds, and be sure to rest 30-60 seconds as you increase the amount of sets you complete.
Why does it work?
The secret to this workout and the reason it works is because it is interval training. Essentially, you are alternating between intervals of incredibly intense exercise for a short amount of time followed by a brief rest period which boosts the metabolic rate. Not only will this increase your metabolism, but you burn calories quickly during the exercise and for a brief time afterward too so you will be targeting any weight you do currently have.
A Special Message From Our Founders
Over the past few years of working with health experts all over the world, there’s one major insight we’ve learned.
Most health problems can often be resolved with a good diet, exercise and a few powerful superfoods. In fact, we’ve gone through hundreds of scientific papers and ‘superfood’ claims and only selected the top 5% that are:
- Backed by scientific research
- Simple to use
We then put this valuable information into the Superfood as Medicine Guide: a 100+ page guide on the 7 most powerful superfoods available, including:
- Exact dosages for every health ailment
- DIY recipes to create your own products
- Simple recipes
This offer is only available until December 31st, 2017. Make sure to grab your copy before the offer runs out.