This article is shared with permission from our friends at Rover.com
Have you ever eaten store-bought dog food? Seriously, have you?
Confession time: When I was 14 I ate a chunk of dry dog food on a dare and I can tell you with authority–dog food is revolting to the human palette. Your dog doesn’t mind, of course (dogs have been known to eat far less appetizing things, tbh) but why not whip up something so yummy that you and your dog can share?
And what if it weren’t just delicious, but also super healthy?
While there are some human foods that dogs should never eat, for the most part what’s healthy for you is healthy for Fido. The ideas below are pretty simple, as the healthiest foods often are, which will make it easy to be sure that all ingredients are dog safe. Before you jump in, be sure to read up on what foods dogs can’t have,
Here are some recipes for snacks so healthy and scrumptious that you and your dog will argue over who gets the last serving.
1. Grain Bowls
This isn’t a recipe so much as a template. It’s simple and allows for a ton of flexibility.
• Choose a grain or starch, like quinoa, brown rice, or sweet potatoes for your base.
• Include some yummy sautéed greens.
• Add some colorful veggies (they can be raw, steamed, or roasted; it’s a matter of personal preference).
• You can add some protein: hard-boiled egg, tofu, cut up steak, shredded pork—whatever is handy.
• Toss in some crunch, like sunflower seeds or peanuts (but remember, no macadamias or almonds for dogs)
• Finish it up by drizzling a yummy dressing over the top. Voila!
2. Dehydrated Fruits and Veggies
All you need for this one is an oven, a sharp knife, and a big ol’ pile of fresh produce!
Some real yummy options would be sweet potatoes, apples, strawberries, and zucchini, but you can get creative and use whichever are your faves.
• Preheat oven to 150°
• Wash your produce thoroughly, pat dry, and then slice into pieces about a half-inch thick.
• Arrange the slices in a single layer on a parchment paper-lined baking sheet, and slide into the oven.
• Keep the oven cracked so moisture can escape. Check and flip them every half hour or so until done.
• Lay out the treats on a wire rack. Serve at room temp, and store in an airtight glass container.
(recipe via The Daily Puppy)
3. Bone Broth
Bone broth is healthy, delicious, and good for skin, hair, joint, and gut health, regardless of species.
Follow the steps in our handy tutorial, or watch the video below.
4. Human-Friendly Dog Biscuits
Okay, hear me out! Dog biscuits are just savory cookies. The only thing designating them as being for dogs is that they’re shaped like bones, but what if you used a different-shaped cookie cutter??
Did I just blow your mind, or what?
Check out this super yummy recipe from Brown-Eyed Baker:
Peanut Butter Doggie Bones
2 cups whole-wheat flour
1 tablespoon baking powder
1 cup natural peanut butter
1 cup low-fat milk
• Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
• In a bowl, combine flour and baking powder. In another bowl, mix peanut butter and milk. Add wet mixture to dry, and mix well.
• Turn out dough on a lightly floured surface and knead. Roll out to 1/4-inch thickness and cut out shapes.
• Place on a greased baking sheet and bake 20 minutes or until lightly brown.
• Cool on a rack and store in an airtight container.
5. Fruit Salad
Our final recipe is possibly the simplest. Fruit salad is just whatever fruit you like cut up and tossed together. It’s magic. Sweet, simple, and easy.
As always, remember to check that all the ingredients are dog safe, and have fun with it!
A Special Message From Our Founders
Over the past few years of working with health experts all over the world, there’s one major insight we’ve learned.
Most health problems can often be resolved with a good diet, exercise and a few powerful superfoods. In fact, we’ve gone through hundreds of scientific papers and ‘superfood’ claims and only selected the top 5% that are:
- Backed by scientific research
- Simple to use
We then put this valuable information into the Superfood as Medicine Guide: a 100+ page guide on the 7 most powerful superfoods available, including:
- Exact dosages for every health ailment
- DIY recipes to create your own products
- Simple recipes
This offer is only available until December 31st, 2017. Make sure to grab your copy before the offer runs out.