With the right combination of high-quality, natural and fresh ingredients, you can fight off sickness. This drink has strong antiviral, antifungal, antibacterial and anti-parasitic properties and could be the thing you’re looking to add to your arsenal. It strengthens your immune system, purifies your blood, and improves blood circulation throughout your entire body. A combination of natural ingredients work together to help boost the immune system and strengthen you against foreign attack.
This ancient ingredient is very popular for fighting inflammation. Its anti-inflammatory properties have been used to treat such conditions as cancer, cardiovascular disease, arthritis, Crohn’s diseases, irritable bowel syndrome and much more. The main active ingredient in turmeric, curcumin, gets its anti-inflammatory ability from being able to modulate numerous signaling molecules, such as proinflammatory cytokines (1).
In a short-term, double-blind, crossover study involving eighteen young patients with rheumatoid arthritis, curcumin was compared with phenylbutazone. The result was that curcumin was well tolerated with no adverse side effects and it exerted an anti-rheumatic activity, demonstrating improvement in joint swelling, morning stiffness, and walking time (1).
However, in the last few decades, curcumin has been shown to be a potent immunomodulatory agent. At low doses, it can also enhance antibody responses. Its ability to fight off certain diseases might be due in part to its ability to modulate the immune system (2).
Ginger is another all-star of an ingredient. Boasting many life improving properties, this ingredient is something that really helps out the body. Ginger rhizome contains several constituents which have antibacterial and anti-fungal effects. A study on the benefits of ginger showed that it has antimicrobial activity against E Coli, salmonella typhi, and bacillus subtilis (3). It can also treat a wide variety of diseases through immuno-nutrition and anti-inflammatory responses. The anticancer potential of ginger is well documented, and its functional ingredients contribute to fighting metastasis (4).
Garlic has been used for quite some time as a medical agent. It has been suggested to have both cancer preventative potential as well as significant enhancing effects on the immune system. Some have even hypothesized that garlic elicits an anti-inflammatory and anti-oxidative response that aids in eradicating an emerging tumor. There have been numerous studies that have demonstrated a link between garlic consumption and decreased risk of cancer, especially that of the colon or stomach. Additionally, allicin, one of the active principles of freshly crushed garlic, has a variety of antimicrobial activities. In its pure form, it was found to exhibit antibacterial activity against a wide range of Gram-negative and Gram-positive bacteria. It also exhibits antifungal activity, particularly against candida albicans (5).
Even though onion is a powerful flavor addition to any meal, it also has strong medicinal properties, including antibacterial functions. It has been shown that onion has inhibitory effects on V. cholerae and that the anti-bacterial activity of its compounds can be exploited as a therapeutic agent (6). In a study on rats, it was shown that onions play a contributory role in enhancing immune function. Onion has high levels of vitamin C, and its antimicrobial properties make a significant and potent immune system booster. It is very effective against bacterial, viral, and parasitic infection. Furthermore, there is growing evidence that onion possesses important immune enhancing and anticancer properties (7).
Horseradish is used as a condiment due to its extremely pungent flavor. But it also has anti-inflammatory properties. Study results demonstrate that horseradish contributes to the cytoprotective cellular effect during inflammation. Additionally, allylisothiocyanate, a potent component of horseradish, shows inhibitory effect on the growth of food poisoning bacteria and fungi (8). This makes horseradish a powerful functional ingredient for maintaining proper health.
Capsaicin, the main component of chili peppers, has been studied for its biological effects, which are of pharmacological relevance. It’s been linked to anti-inflammatory effects and may have value for cancer prevention and other diseases (10). Capsaicin seems to have bacteriostatic activity against some Gram-negative bacteria. It also inhibits the formation of biofilm, which is essential for bacteria adhesion (9).
Apple cider vinegar
Often touted as a superfood, this elixir is perfect for a number of things including fighting cholesterol, controlling blood glucose levels, and contributing to weight loss. It also has strong antibacterial functions as it is great at fighting candida infections. It also has a strong anti-histamine effect, helping to break up mucus and clear your system of allergy related symptoms (11). For more information about apple cider vinegar, check out this article.
Master Tonic Recipe
- 2 Tablespoons turmeric powder or two knuckles of turmeric root
- 24 ounces apple cider vinegar
- 1/4 cup finely chopped garlic
- 1/4 cup finely chopped onion
- 2 fresh peppers, the hottest you can find
- 1/4 cup grated ginger
- 2 Tablespoons grated horseradish
- Combine all the ingredients in a bowl, except for the vinegar.
- Transfer the mixture to a mason jar.
- Now, pour some apple cider vinegar to the mix until it fills up to the top. The best is when two-thirds of the jar consists of dry ingredients. The rest should be vinegar up to the top.
- Close tightly, then shake well.
- Keep the jar in a cool, dry place for about two weeks.
- Shake well several times a day.
- After fourteen days, squeeze well then strain it through a plastic strainer. Squeeze well to make sure all the juice comes out. You can use the rest of the mixture when cooking.
(1) NCBI. Therapeutic roles of curcumin: Lessons learned from clinical trials https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3535097/ Published: January 2013. Accessed: December 23, 2016.
(2) NCBI. “Spicing up” of the immune system by curcumin https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/17211725 Published: January 2007. Accessed: December 23, 2016.
(3) NCBI. Active ingredients of ginger as potential candidates in the prevention and treatment of diseases via modulation of biological activities https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4106649/ Published: July 12, 2014. Accessed: December 23, 2016.
(4) NCBI. Anti-oxidative and anti-inflammatory effects of ginger in health and physical activity: Review of current evidence https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3665023/ Published: April 2013. Accessed: December 23, 2016.
(5) NCBI. antimicrobial properties of allicin from garlic https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/10594976 Published: February 1999. Accessed: December 23, 2016.
(6) NCBI. In vitro antibacterial activity of onion (allium cepa) against clinical isolates of vibrio choleraehttps://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/21702293 Published: April 2010. Accessed: December 23, 2016.
(7) NCBI. Effect of allium cepa and allium sativum on some immunological cells in rats https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3746674/ Published: April 2, 2012. Accessed: December 23, 2016.
(8) NCBI. Functional properties of wasabi and horseradish https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/11237192 Published: 2000. Accessed: December 23, 2016.
(9) NCBI. Do capsaicin products have antiseptic or microbicidal properties https://www.quora.com/Do-capsaicin-products-have-antiseptic-or-microbicidal-properties Published: March 30, 2015. Accessed: December 23, 2016.
(10) NCBI. Biological activities of Red Pepper (capsicum annuum) and its pungent principle capsaicin: a review https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/25675368 Published: July 3, 2016. Accessed: December 23, 2016.
(11) Sott. Top uses for apple cider vinegar backed by science https://www.sott.net/article/290433-Top-uses-for-apple-cider-vinegar-backed-by-science Published: December 22, 2014. Accessed: December 23, 2016.
(12) Youtube. What is turmeric good for? 10 turmeric health benefits https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zoUN-7coR6k Published: October 4, 2016. Accessed: December 23, 2016.
(13) Fitlife. The 7 ingredient tonic that kills infections in your body http://fitlife.tv/this-is-the-most-powerful-natural-antibiotic-ever-literally-kills-any-infections-in-the-body_original/?t=draxe Published: December 15, 2015. Accessed: December 23, 2016.
A quick note from our founders
Going "Keto" has helped so many of our friends drop weight and keep it off.
And it's the perfect time to try it because right now you can get a free copy of a brand new cookbook called The Wicked Good Ketogenic Diet Cookbook
This cookbook is jampacked with 148 delicious ketogenic recipes that will help you burn fat like crazy. Even stubborn belly and thigh fat won't stand a chance because your body will have NO CHOICE but to burn that fat for fuel!
If you've struggled to get rid of stubborn fat, you owe it to yourself to test-drive the keto diet and see how effective it really is. It’ll be easy once you have this free cookbook…