Who thought butter could get any butter, I mean better!
The vibrant healing fat known as ghee is not only loaded with nutritional properties and health benefits, to top things off, it also has outstanding flavor.
Thanks to the ancient healing practice of oleation, you can even use this healthy fat to detox. Yes, that’s right. If you’re not familiar with The 5 Detox, you should know: In the morning, we drink ghee.
The Benefits of Ghee
This golden goodness originated around the time of 2,000 to 1,800 BCE in the Asian subcontinent. In some parts of this region, the average life expectancy stretched well above 100 years of age, and the locals are quick to credit this sacred golden fat.
Ghee, which is sometimes referred to as clarified butter is typically prepared by simmering butter and skimming off the impurities from the surface. In the process, the clear liquid fat is retained, and any solid residue that has settled to the bottom is discarded.
While this really is a simple process, it does sound rather complicated. What makes ghee better than butter? With this preparation method we are removing any impurities and unfavorable components from the butter. This process makes casein and lactose virtually non-existent, this is a huge reason as to why ghee very easy on digestion. Essentially ghee is pure butter fat which packs a nutritional punch for the fat-soluble vitamins A, E and K, and additionally, it contains healing fatty acids such as butyric acid and CLA (conjugated-linoleic acid).
Let’s expand on this. Like butter, ghee is one of the best sources for the short chain fatty acid known as ‘butyric acid’. This makes your gut oh-so-happy! Our healthy bacteria feed on this fatty acid for energy, which helps your microbiome to flourish by creating a healthier gut environment while repairing the intestinal lining!
Also a great source of CLA, this medium chain fatty acid is primarily found in beef and dairy from grass-fed cows. Studies show that CLA is also beneficial in the prevention or treatment of cancer, heart disease, asthma, osteoporosis, inflammation, and insulin resistance. CLA has been shown successful for speeding up our rate of metabolism – putting us into our natural fat burning mode.
Ghee has a very high smoke point so you can use this in all your high-heat cooking, just like coconut oil, and it’s rather simple to make yourself.
Your Guide to Making Ghee
What you need:
- Organic grass-fed unsalted butter (at least ½ lb)
- Medium pot
- Glass measuring cup
- Fine mesh strainer
- A bowl + spoon
- herbs and spices to infuse more flavor
What to do:
- Heat your pot over medium-low heat. Add butter (whole or cubed) to your heated pot (with any spices or herbs if using). Melt completely then reduce to a simmer. Cook for 10-15 minutes.
- During this time, the butter will go through a few stages. First it will foam, then bubble, and then it will foam again. When the butter foams for the second time, the ghee is done. At this point the butter should be bright and golden in color and there should be reddish brown pieces of milk solids at the bottom of the pan.
- When the top layer is foamy you can scrape this off and put it in a bowl to be discarded.
- After your second foam, remove the pot and cool slightly for 2-3 minutes. Then slowly pour through a fine wire mesh strainer, into a seal-able mason jar for storage, your ghee will solidify as it cools.
- Ghee will last up to a month at room temperature or even longer in the fridge.
In the Morning, We Drink Ghee
This ayurvedic healing practice is also known as oleation. Typically when we think of a cleanse, we may think of eliminating oils or fats. However the actions in The 5 Detox will have you rethinking your idea of a cleanse.
By ingesting melted ghee each day at increasing dosages for the duration of The 5 Detox, this action forces the gallbladder to flush out its existing bile and it stimulates the liver to make new bile and digestive enzymes.
This action of oleation will penetrate, lubricate and soften the hardened tissues in the body which builds as we age. Working almost like a magnet, ghee also removes toxins and helps to reset your natural fat-burning metabolism.
Shared with permission from our friends at Holisticole.
Lose 11 pounds in 22 days?
Is it REALLY possible to lose 11 lbs. of fat in 22 days? Actually yes… BUT only when you’re a level 4 fat burner. Unfortunately, most people are stuck as level 1 fat burners. So, how do you become a level 4 fat burner to lose up to 11 lbs. in 22 days? Simply eat these foods daily: