Republished with permission from thenaturesfarmacy.com.
An abscessed tooth is a common term used to describe an infection at the root of a tooth or between the gum and a tooth. This infection causes severe tooth decay and can be caused by bacteria that enter the tooth (through a dental cavity, chip, or crack) and spreads all the way down to the root tip.
If left untreated, it can lead to severe pain and inflammation. The affected tooth loses its ability to combat infections which can reach the pulp chamber of the tooth. When the pulp in the root tooth dies, pain decreases. However, this doesn’t mean the infection has healed; it will continue to spread and destroy the surrounding tissue.
If left untreated, it may spread to the bone that supports the tooth and causes severe life-threatening complications. An abscessed tooth can also be caused by gingivitis, severe tooth decay, poor dental hygiene, high-sugar diets and even sticky foods.
The symptoms of an abscessed tooth include throbbing and sharp toothaches, pain when chewing food, altered ability to taste, bad breath, swelling of the cheek, red and sore gums, difficulty swallowing food, swollen lymph nodes under your jaw, fevers and general discomfort.
It is important to schedule an appointment with your dentist as soon as possible, but in the meantime, if you’re seeking relief the natural remedies below are extremely effective.
Below Are Some Amazing Home Remedies For Healing a Tooth Abscess Naturally
Water and Salt Rinses
This a well-known remedy that even your dentist will recommend. Salt has antiseptic and antibacterial properties that can help reduce inflammation, prevent bacterial growth in the mouth and prevent other infections.
- ½ teaspoon of salt
- 1 glass of warm water
- Pour the salt into warm water and mix until dissolved. Rinse your mouth thoroughly with this mixture and then spit it out. Repeat this 3-4 times a day to clear infections and reduce discomfort and pain.
Oil pulling as a remedy for tooth infections as old as the hills! It is widely used in ancient Ayurvedic practices and also in the treatment of abscessed teeth or sore gums. Oil pulling helps reduce the number of bacteria and toxins in the mouth and also promotes better oral health.
- 1 tablespoon of coconut oil
- Warm water
- Pour one teaspoon of extra virgin coconut oil in your mouth. Swish the oil inside your mouth for about 15 minutes and then spit it out.
- Rinse your mouth thoroughly with warm water. Repeat this twice daily especially in the morning on an empty stomach for about a month.
Garlic contains an active compound called allicin, which is a natural antibiotic that helps prevent bacterial infections and assist in healing a tooth abscess naturally. It also has anti-inflammatory properties which relieve pain from swelling.
- 3-4 garlic cloves
- Peel and wash the cloves properly, then crush them and squeeze out the juice. Doing this will release the compound allicin. Apply the juice to your abscessed tooth. Repeat this process at least 2 times daily.
- Alternatively, eat 2-3 cloves of garlic (chew properly to release the allicin).
Wet Black Tea Bag
Black tea bags also contain antioxidants to help fight infections. They are especially helpful for dental abscesses because they absorb some of the toxins and pus.
- Warm water
- Black tea bag
Get your Free copy of The Wicked Good Ketogenic Diet Cookbook
This free cookbook is jampacked with 148 delicious ketogenic recipes that will help you burn fat like crazy!GET YOUR FREE COOKBOOK!
- Soak the black tea bag in warm water for a few minutes. Wring it out and place it on the swollen area while holding or sucking on it. Leave it there for few hours or overnight and rinse your mouth with a salt water solution. Repeat once a day for a couple of weeks.
Hydrogen Peroxide is a very good antimicrobial agent that can help get rid of tooth abscesses. It has disinfectant and antibacterial properties that help kill the bacteria which cause abscessed teeth, thereby reducing inflammation and pain.
- 2 teaspoons of hydrogen peroxide
- 1 teaspoon of warm water
- Baking soda
- Cotton ball (optional)
- Mix 2 teaspoons of hydrogen peroxide with 1 tablespoon of warm water. Use this mixture to rinse your mouth thoroughly and then spit it out.
- Alternatively, mix 1 teaspoon of baking soda with 2 teaspoons of hydrogen peroxide to make a paste. Apply this paste on the affected areas for a few minutes and then rinse your mouth thoroughly with warm water. Do this for a couple of weeks.
Apple Cider Vinegar
Apple cider vinegar is another very effective home remedy for abscessed teeth. It contains two beneficial acids called acetic acid and malic acid which are excellent antibacterials, antimicrobials, and antifungals. ACV also has disinfectant and anti-inflammatory properties that help reduce pain and inflammation. For this, I recommend you use Bragg Organic Raw Apple Cider Vinegar.
- 1 tablespoon organic apple cider vinegar
- Pour apple cider vinegar in your mouth and swish it around. Leave it in your mouth for 5 minutes and spit it out.
- Rinse your mouth with warm water. Repeat this 2-4 times daily for a month.
Turmeric is often used to reduce inflammation caused by abscessed teeth. It is rich in antibiotic, antiseptic and anti-inflammatory properties and also helps promotes oral health.
- Warm water
- 1 teaspoon turmeric powder
- Mix 1 teaspoon of turmeric powder with a little water to make a paste, then apply it directly to the affected tooth. Allow it to sit for about 15 minutes, then rinse off.
- Alternatively, mix 14 teaspoons of turmeric with 1 teaspoon of olive oil. Apply the paste to the affected area. Allow to sit for 15 minutes, then rinse off.
Oregano oil contains antibacterial, antioxidant and antimicrobial properties which help clear the infections. When used on an abscessed tooth, it numbs the area. Oregano oil is widely used for abscessed tooth because it helps abscess drainage while killing the bacteria in the pus. It also boost immunity and helps fight tooth infections and speeds up healing process. The best product I have used for this is the NOW Foods Oregano Oil Enteric
- 2-3 drops off oregano oil
- Cotton swab
- Pour a few drops of oregano oil directly on the cotton swab. Apply the swab directly on the affected tooth and leave to stay for about 5 minutes.
- Alternatively, prepare a mouthwash by mixing 3 to 5 drops of oregano with ¼ cup of warm water.
- Use the mixture to swish your mouth for about 5 minutes and spit out the mixture. Repeat this remedy about 3 or 4 times daily
Peppermint is a potent remedy for an abscessed tooth. Its antibacterial and anti-inflammatory properties help reduce inflammation and relieve you of the pain associated with an abscessed tooth. My recommendation is the Pure Body Naturals Undiluted Essential Peppermint Oil.
- 2-4 drops of Peppermint oil
- Cotton swab
- Pour few drops of peppermint oil on the swab and apply directly on the affected area. Hold the swab against your tooth for a few minutes before letting go.
- Alternatively, you can use your finger to gently apply the oil on the affected tooth. Repeat this process 3-4 times a day for at least a month.
Potato has antiseptic properties and is alkaline in nature, but with acidic properties. Its acidic property is said to help slough off dead cells and other toxins.
- Slice of raw potato
- Take the slice of raw potato and place it against affected areas. Leave it there to sit for 30 minutes or leave overnight. Then remove the potato. You should notice a bit of discolouration over it. This is due to the toxins pulled out of the infected tooth.
Chamomile contains anti-inflammatory properties which can heal injured tissues. It comes in herbs and tea form, both of which can be used to remedy abscessed tooth.
- Drink 3 to 4 cups of chamomile tea daily
- To soothe swelling, make a poultice of chamomile and apply it topically over affected area several times a day
- Alternatively, wet the tea bag and hold it against the infected tooth.
Echinacea is widely considered a natural antibiotic and it helps relieve pain and inflammation caused by infections. Echinacea is available in tinctures and capsules. I recommend the Child Life Echinacea, Glass Bottle,
- Echinacea herb
- 1 teaspoon tea bag
- Mix warm water with the herb or teabag. Leave it to steep for about 5 minutes, then strain the mixture. Use the mixture to rinse your mouth thoroughly. Repeat this 2-3 times daily
Additional Tips to Prevent an Abscessed Tooth
To prevent abscessed tooth, below are a few tips to bear in mind
- Always brush your teeth twice daily.
- Use an antimicrobial mouthwash to swish your mouth every morning after brushing your teeth.
- Replace your toothbrush every 3 to 4 months.
- Quit smoking and the use of tobacco.
- Chewing too much gum should be avoided.
- Avoid junk food and eat healthy alternatives.
- Avoid caffeine when suffering from tooth pain or infection.
This information is not intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Always seek the advice of your dentist or other qualified health provider with any questions about your oral health, medical condition and/or current medication. Do not disregard professional medical advice or delay seeking advice or treatment because of something you have read here.
A quick note from our founders
Have you been curious about the Ketogenic Diet? You're not alone!
Going "Keto" has helped so many of our friends drop weight and keep it off.
And it's the perfect time to try it because right now you can get a free copy of a brand new cookbook called The Wicked Good Ketogenic Diet Cookbook
This cookbook is jampacked with 148 delicious ketogenic recipes that will help you burn fat like crazy. Even stubborn belly and thigh fat won't stand a chance because your body will have NO CHOICE but to burn that fat for fuel!
If you've struggled to get rid of stubborn fat, you owe it to yourself to test-drive the keto diet and see how effective it really is. It’ll be easy once you have this free cookbook...
HURRY, this FREE offer won’t last long!