I definitely don’t enjoy baking like I do cooking, but whenever I have extra zucchini or ripe bananas lingering around (or in this case, both) I’m forced to get out my mixing bowls and preheat the oven.
This time though, I’m glad, because this zucchini, blueberry and banana bread is so moist and delicious that I can’t wait to make it again! It is SO good! Loaf #1 didn’t even see the next day, and my husband and daughter have full belly’s. That’s a good sign right there!
Get your Free copy of The Wicked Good Ketogenic Diet Cookbook
This free cookbook is jampacked with 148 delicious ketogenic recipes that will help you burn fat like crazy!GET YOUR FREE COOKBOOK!
During the summer we always have an over-abundance of zucchini – this year in particular. I actually shouldn’t have planted so many because shortly after I found out that I was pregnant in May, I realized that I very much dislike zucchini. A pregnancy thing, of course, as it is usually my fave vegetable, but in this case, an inconvenient symptom. I actually had to set up a small veggie stand on the side of the road to get rid of them all – true story (I made about 20 bucks). What I did eat, I grated and hid in baking – whoever came up with that idea is truly a genius.
Sprouted spelt flour is usually my go-to flour when I’m doing any kind of baking. It has a mildly sweet and nutty flavor, and provides nutrition without that whole wheat-y taste of whole wheat flour. It’s also more nutritious, and like fermenting, sprouting grains neutralizes anti-nutrients (phytic acid and enzyme inhibitors), which allows for easier absorption of vitamins and minerals. Sprouting grains also creates and increases vitamins and enzymes, and breaks down the grain so that it’s easier to digest. Spelt flour alone contains less gluten then whole wheat, but because the entire composition of the grain is changed during the sprouting process, some people with gluten-intolerances may findsprouted grains easier to digest.
If you haven’t baked with spelt flour before, I think you’ll find it to be a welcome substitution to whole wheat flour.
I hope you give this recipe a try – you’ll be gad that you did!
Zucchini, Blueberry and Banana Bread
- 1 cup coconut oil
- 1¼ cups raw cane sugar, organic (or your choice of sweetener – honey, maple syrup, sucanat)
- 4 eggs, room temperature
- 4 cups sprouted spelt flour (can also use half white/half whole wheat or einkorn)
- 2 tsp baking soda, aluminum free
- 1 tsp quality salt (like Himalayan pink salt)
- 3 ripe bananas, mashed
- 2 small zucchini, grated (approx. 2 cups with the liquid squeezed out)
- 1 cup blueberries, fresh or frozen
- 4 tsp vanilla extract
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees, and grease a 9x5x3 bread pan (or muffin tins if you want to make banana muffins!)
- Cream the coconut oil and honey together, using a stand mixer or hand mixer for a couple minutes until light and fluffy. Add the eggs, and combine with mixer.
- In a separate bowl, sift together flour baking soda and salt.
- Mix dry and wet ingredients together.
- Using a cheese cloth or dish towel, squeeze as much liquid out of the grated zucchini as you can.
- Add the zucchini, mashed bananas, blueberries, and vanilla to the batter and fold together.
- Separate into two, greased bread pans and bake for 60 minutes.
- Cool for 15 minutes before cutting.
This article was republished with permission from modernhippiehousewife.com.
A quick note from our founders
Have you been curious about the Ketogenic Diet? You're not alone!
Going "Keto" has helped so many of our friends drop weight and keep it off.
And it's the perfect time to try it because right now you can get a free copy of a brand new cookbook called The Wicked Good Ketogenic Diet Cookbook
This cookbook is jampacked with 148 delicious ketogenic recipes that will help you burn fat like crazy. Even stubborn belly and thigh fat won't stand a chance because your body will have NO CHOICE but to burn that fat for fuel!
If you've struggled to get rid of stubborn fat, you owe it to yourself to test-drive the keto diet and see how effective it really is. It’ll be easy once you have this free cookbook...
HURRY, this FREE offer won’t last long!