This article is shared with permission from our friends at naturalbeautytips.co.
We all know the importance of eating eggs. But did you also know that eggs are useful for treating oily hair an oily scalp? Eggs be used for normal or dry hair in combination with other nutrients. Most people prefer to use just the egg whites in hair masks as they’re less smelly than the yolk.
Egg whites are packed with high-quality protein and contain nutrients such as multivitamins, including b-vitamins and minerals like sulphur that are needed to keep your hair healthy. Using them in your hair will make your hair grow long, thick and shiny.
3 Homemade Egg White Hair Masks
1. DIY Egg White Mask For Oily Hair
If your hair or scalp is too oily, don’t use the yolk as it contains lots of fat. Be sure to use just the egg white. It will work to get rid of oils from your hair, leaving it softer and shinier.
- 1-2 egg whites
- 1 teaspoon of extra virgin olive oil
- Take 1 or 2 eggs, depending on the length and thickness of your hair. Separate the whites from the yolks.
- Put the egg white(s) into a glass bowl and mix in the olive oil. Depending on the volume of your hair you may adjust the quantity of the egg whites and olive oil keeping the same ratio as is written above.
- Whisk or stir the mixture with a spoon until you get a mask of uniform consistency.
- Apply the mixture evenly onto your hair. Put your hair in a loose bun and cover with a shower cap, leaving the mixture in your hair for a minimum of one hour so that the mask gets enough time to work its magic on your oily hair.
- Rinse off the mixture from your hair using lukewarm water, and then shampoo it with lukewarm water to remove the excess oil and egg. It should leave your hair shiny and soft with no buildup. Make sure to use cool or lukewarm water (avoid using hot water) so that the egg white doesn’t cook in your hair. If you feel that the smell is still there, shampoo your hair once more.
- Let your hair air-dry. When it’s dry, run your fingers through your hair and voila – feel the touch of your rejuvenated, shiny and vibrant hair.
2. Egg White Mask For Hair Growth
Egg whites are chock-full of good quality protein and vitamins, which have the ability to nurture your scalp and boost hair growth. Coconut oil is also a rich source of essential nutrients such as vitamins, minerals and essential fatty acids that make it an ideal ingredient for stimulating hair follicles and boosting hair growth. Further, this oil’s molecules are so tiny that they can easily penetrate into the hair follicles to nurture and support hair growth.
- 1 or 2 egg whites, depending on the length and thickness of your hair
- 1 teaspoon of coconut oil per 1 egg white
- Combine the egg white and the coconut oil in a clean glass bowl. Whisk or stir the mixture thoroughly with a fork until you get a mask of uniform consistency.
- Apply the coconut oil and egg white hair mask using your clean fingers or with a hair mask brush first to your scalp, then all over your hair. Tie your hair up using a clip or put it in a loose bun and then cover it with a shower cap to trap in warmth in order to let the hair mask penetrate deeper. Keep the mask on for about an hour.
- Rinse off the mixture thoroughly from your hair using lukewarm water. Then, wash your hair thoroughly using shampoo and lukewarm water to remove the oil and egg whites. Again, be sure to use cool or lukewarm water (avoid hot water) so that the egg white doesn’t cook in your hair. If you feel that your hair still smells from the mask, shampoo your hair once more.
- Let your hair air-dry.
3. Anti-Dandruff Egg White And Lemon Mask
This mask fights dandruff by getting rid of grease and stale oils from the scalp as well as exfoliating dead cells, flaky skin, and dirt.
- 1 or 2 egg whites, depending upon the volume of your hair
- 1/2 teaspoon of lemon juice for every egg white, freshly squeezed (If you are using 2 white eggs, take 1 full teaspoon of lemon juice)
- Put the egg white(s) and the freshly squeezed lemon juice in a clean glass bowl. Remember, you may adjust the quantity of the ingredients to suit your the volume and length of your hair, keeping the same ratio.
- Whisk or stir the mixture thoroughly with a fork until you get a mixture of uniform consistency.
- Apply the anti-dandruff mask to your scalp using clean fingers. After applying it to your scalp, coat the hair mask onto your hair starting from the root and moving to the tip of the hair.
- Tie your hair into a high bun and cover with a shower cap, leaving it on for about half an hour so that the mask penetrates into the hair shaft.
- Now rinse off the mixture thoroughly from your hair using lukewarm water, and then follow this with a shampoo wash to fully get rid of the egg whites. Be sure to use cool or lukewarm water (avoid hot water) so that the egg white doesn’t cook in your hair.
- Let your hair air-dry. Your dandruff should be completely eliminated in two months time with the regular use of this remedy.
Natural Beauty Tips
- When applying the mask, stand in the shower or over your bathroom sink as these hair masks are very drippy.
- You may want to use the above masks right before a shower as the mixture tends to drip down the back of your neck and you certainly would require a shower afterwards.
Share your experience after using any of the above egg white hair treatments in the comments below.
A Special Message From Our Founders
Over the past few years of working with health experts all over the world, there’s one major insight we’ve learned.
Most health problems can often be resolved with a good diet, exercise and a few powerful superfoods. In fact, we’ve gone through hundreds of scientific papers and ‘superfood’ claims and only selected the top 5% that are:
- Backed by scientific research
- Simple to use
We then put this valuable information into the Superfood as Medicine Guide: a 100+ page guide on the 7 most powerful superfoods available, including:
- Exact dosages for every health ailment
- DIY recipes to create your own products
- Simple recipes
Grab your copy before the offer runs out!