Republished with permission from blog.paleohacks.com.
Love ice cream? Then try this creamy Paleo concoction! It’s made with coconut milk and flavored with lavender. It’s a fancy take on an old favorite!
I’ve always been an ice cream lover. Cake and other bready pastries were never really my thing even before I went Paleo. But ice cream? Bring it on!
This coconut lavender ice recipe is very easy to make and the lavender give it a fancy touch. It’s the perfect recipe for a post-dinner treat. The floral flavor perfectly compliments the vanilla and coconut milk.
For best results, have all your ingredients measured out and within easy reach. That way, when the saucepan is heating up and you need to be stirring, you’re not scrambling to find the ingredients! The continuous stirring is necessary to prevent the ice cream mixture from curdling as it cooks. Also, make sure that your lavender flowers are marked as “culinary” so you know they’re safe to eat.
Coconut milk makes the perfect stand-in for dairy cream in this recipe. I would argue that it tastes even better. The thicker the coconut milk you use, the better the ice cream, so buy full-fat coconut milk.
Right out of the ice cream maker, this is a soft-serve style dessert. You can pop it back in the freezer if you’d like your ice cream firmer.
Coconut Lavender Ice Cream
Prep time: 5 minutes
Cook time: 30 minutes
- 2 cans full-fat coconut milk
- 2/3 cup honey
- 1 tbsp vanilla extract
- 1/4 cup dried lavender flowers
- 4 egg yolks
Claim Your FREE Copy of The Easy 5-Ingredient Ketogenic Diet Cookbook Now!
1. In a saucepan, combine the coconut milk, honey, vanilla, and lavender flowers.
2. Simmer for 2-3 minutes.
3. Strain and return to saucepan.
4. Whisk the egg yolks in a small bowl.
5. Heat up the coconut milk mixture over medium-low heat (do not boil).
6. Temper the egg yolks by whisking in about 1/3 cup of the hot coconut milk, then whisking the coconut milk-yolk mixture into the coconut milk in the saucepan.
7. Keep it hot but not boiling and keep stirring with the whisk until the mixture thickens just a little.
8. Strain again and pour into an airtight container. Cover and chill until cold.
9. Pour into a cold ice cream maker and churn per manufacturer’s instructions. *
10. Garnish with shredded coconut, if desired. Enjoy!
*If you don’t have an ice cream machine, simply put the mixture in the freezer, then every 20 minutes take it out and give it a vigorous stir, then pop it back in. Do this until it is ice cream consistency!
Editor’s Note: This article has been updated by The Hearty Soul’s Editors to reflect the latest scientific research about this subject. We are committed to providing you with the best information possible.
A quick note from our founders
Claim Your FREE Copy of
Discover 131 delicious fat-shredding keto recipes inside this special edition of this New York Times bestseller… plus more. And today we’re GIVING it away 100% FREE!