This article is shared with permission from our friends at Against All Grain.
I wanted to title this Mexican Hot Chocolate Ice Cream, but that seemed like an oxymoron. It tastes like a warm cup of Mexican Hot Cocoa, in a deliciously refreshing ice cream form. The subtle spice of cinnamon, chile, and cayenne, peek through the full and deep chocolate flavor.
It has marshmallows swirled in, as opposed to melted on on top of a mug, and crunch almonds throughout, so I’ve dubbed it Mexican Chocolate Rocky Road Ice Cream instead.
Our family is huge ice cream lovers. Which is why you can find a good handful of dairy-free ice cream recipes in my first book Against all Grain(Mint Chip, Chocolate Frozen Yogurt, and Vanilla Bean), as well as a few on my blog. Over the past year, I’ve slipped and taken to buying regular ice cream or frozen yogurt, which my gut has not been fond of.
I also forgot just how wonderful and easy homemade ice cream is. I was tired of coconut-tasting ice cream though from the coconut milk, so I switched to cashew milk for this one. The cashew milk, in addition to the small amount of gelatin added to the mixture, makes this ice cream wonderfully creamy.
Get your Free copy of The Wicked Good Ketogenic Diet Cookbook
This free cookbook is jampacked with 148 delicious ketogenic recipes that will help you burn fat like crazy!
Both of those ingredients, plus adding lots of air to the “batter” by using a blender, prevents it from getting icy in the freezer. It scoops like a dream, and doesn’t require an ice cream maker! Just blend and freeze. So easy!
My Favorite…Rocky Road Bar
My favorite candy bar growing up was a Rocky Road bar. I remember going on special little outings with my mom and she would get one for us to share as treat. You could omit the mix-ins and just use the base and make a delicious chocolate ice cream, but I would highly suggest using them to create that beloved rocky road taste.
I added small marshmallows, chopped Spiced Candied Almonds, and some mini chocolate chips. The crunch and sweetness that is added to the ice cream with these mix-ins it takes it to a whole other level. Plus the almonds adds a bit more spice to compliment the cinnamon and chocolate.
I used a natural and gluten-free brand of marshmallows called Elyon for ease, but it does contain sugar. You can easily make homemade honey marshmallows but it’s an extra step.
Mexican Chocolate Rocky Road Ice Cream
- 2 1/2 cups raw cashew pieces (about 370 g)
- 1 1/2 cup water, divided
- 1 1/2 teaspoons unflavored powdered gelatin
- 1 1/4 cups pure maple syrup
- 1 1/2 ounces unsweetened chocolate
- 1/2 cup Dutch cocoa powder
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 3/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 3/4 teaspoon lemon juice
- 1/2 teaspoon chili powder
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne
- 1/4 teaspoon sea salt
- 1/2 cup mini marshmallows
- 1/4 cup mini chocolate chips (these are dairy and soy free)
- 1/2 cup chopped Spiced Candied Almonds
- Place a loaf pan in the freezer to chill.
- Soak the cashews in a bowl of warm water for 2 hours.
- Pour 1/4 cup of the water into a saucepan and sprinkle the gelatin overtop. Set aside to bloom for 10 minutes.
- Place the remaining 1 1/4 cups of water in a blender with the maple syrup. Drain and rinse the cashews well and add them to the blender. Blend on low for 30 seconds, then on high for 1 minute, until the cashews are completely ground and the mixture is smooth. Pour the cashew milk into the saucepan. Set the saucepan over medium heat and whisk until the gelatin has dissolved completely. Remove it from heat and stir in the chopped chocolate until fully melted and incorporated.
- Transfer the mixture back to the blender and add the cocoa powder, vanilla, cinnamon, lemon juice, chili powder, cayenne, and sea salt. Blend on high for 1 minute. Pour the chocolate custard into the chilled loaf pan and freeze for 1 hour. Fold into the optional mix-ins, then press a piece of plastic wrap directly on top of the custard and freeze for 6 hours, or until firm.
- To serve, remove the ice cream from the freezer and set it on the counter for 15 minutes before scooping.
Here are a few more delicious ice cream recipes you have to try!
A quick note from our founders
Have you been curious about the Ketogenic Diet? You're not alone!
Going "Keto" has helped so many of our friends drop weight and keep it off.
And it's the perfect time to try it because right now you can get a free copy of a brand new cookbook called
This cookbook is jampacked with 148 delicious ketogenic recipes that will help you burn fat like crazy. Even stubborn belly and thigh fat won't stand a chance because your body will have NO CHOICE but to burn that fat for fuel!
If you've struggled to get rid of stubborn fat, you owe it to yourself to test-drive the keto diet and see how effective it really is. It’ll be easy once you have this free cookbook...
HURRY, this FREE offer won’t last long!