Is Arbonne Makeup A Scam? Or Is It Really Natural?
Arbonne is a natural health and beauty company that was first started in 1975. The original company was launched in Switzerland and only consisted of 19 skincare products that were based on formulas developed in Switzerland. Five years later, the company expanded to the United States and continued to develop new products in different categories over the last 35 years.
Today, the company is renowned for their large product portfolio, which includes cosmetics, aromatherapy products, nutritional products and more. Arbonne boasts about the fact that they only turn towards nature while manufacturing their products, but, as with any company that claims to be “all-natural,” it is important to consider the specific ingredients and to determine whether these ingredients are still safe and effective.
The Arbonne Ingredient Policy
Arbonne’s policy states that the company believes in honesty and transparency. They go through extensive research and efforts to ensure that every single product is not only natural but also safe, effective and serves a certain purpose that will improve the lives of its users.
The Arbonne Ingredient Policy states that each product utilizes the best ingredients that can be sourced from nature, and combines these compounds with the world’s leading scientific research, to create formulas that offer the user the ability to improve their life, appearance, and health through the power of nature. Whether the customer wants to know how to get rid of acne or how to reduce wrinkles, the company has a product that can help the customer find an answer to these questions without having to opt for chemicals.
The ingredient policy of Arbonne also states that not one single product produced by the company contains any of the following ingredients:
- artificial sweeteners
- synthetic dyes
- carbon black
- animal products
- animal by-products
- artificial flavors
- sodium Laureth sulfates
- sodium lauryl sulfate
Arbonne Makeup Products
So, the company promises only to utilize natural ingredients and the latest scientific research to formulate their products. They clearly state which ingredients they avoid at all costs. Still, it is important to take a look at the ingredients that are included and to consider whether these ingredients are truly as safe as the company claims them to be.
Using “natural” ingredients does not always mean a product is safe – in fact, Personal Care Truth reports that some common natural makeup ingredients may even be more harmful than some of the chemically processed ingredients you can find in these products. As examples, they state that Patulin can cause DNA mutations, Aflatoxin has been linked to liver cancer, Ergotamine has been proven to cause hallucinations and Ricin can cause severe diarrhea.
Let’s learn more about the different types of products and analyze some of the ingredients that are found in them.
The most popular makeup products for the customer’s face include their Makeup Primer, Mineral Powder Foundation, and their Loose Powder Broad Spectrum products. Let’s take a look at some common ingredients found in these products.
- Cyclopentasiloxane – This ingredient is quite common in natural makeup products and even in other beauty products. According to The Beauty Brains, it can also cause some side-effects, including allergic reactions, which may lead to swelling and respiratory problems. The ingredient can also cause burning and stinging sensations on the skin.
- Ethylhexyl Palmitate – The use of this ingredient is generally considered safe, but some people have experienced an allergic reaction, especially around their eyes, when using products that contain this ingredient.
- Hexylene Glycol – This is another ingredient commonly found in skincare products. According to CDC, the ingredient can cause redness and dry skin. It can also irritate the eyes.
Arbonne also has many different products for the customer’s eyes. Let’s analyze the most common ingredients that are included in these products.
- Polysaccharides – Also known as polymeric carbohydrate structures, these compounds are often found in bath and beauty products. There are many different types of polysaccharides. Unfortunately, the specific types used in Arbonne makeup products are not declared, so it is difficult to determine exactly how the compounds used in these products would work or interact with the user’s skin.
- Eyebright – This ingredient is often applied to the eyes and eyelids to reduce inflammation, to alleviate eye fatigue and to prevent mucous in the eyes. Unfortunately, there is also a significant risk of obtaining an infection when applying this product to the eyes, as reported by WebMD.
Arbonne’s Lip range includes lipsticks, lip glosses, and lip liners. The company states that these products are produced with only natural extracts. Let’s determine how safe these ingredients are.
- Ricinus Communis – Also known as castor seed oil, this ingredient is often used to treat skin diseases, acne and age spots. Herbpathy reports that Ricinus Communis can cause allergic reactions, which may cause inflammation and rashes on the applied area.
- Octyldodecanol – Octyldodecanol is often used in emulsifiers and emollient products. It is classified as a long-chain fatty alcohol. Truth In Aging reports that a study conducted in 1979 found that the ingredient causes irritation of the skin, even when the concentration of the ingredient is very low. In 2006, another study found that it causes irritation caused by other compounds in a formula to worsen.
Finally, let’s take a look at some common ingredients that are found in their “cheeks” products, of which the most popular seems to be their bronzers, blush, and highlighters.
- Dimethicone – This ingredient is also called polydimethylsiloxane. It is a silicon-based compound classified as a polymer. According to Annmarie Gianni, the ingredient may cause mild irritation and dryness, as well as an allergic reaction.
- Sodium Chloride – Sodium chloride is just plain table salt. Used on the skin, it may cause some irritation, redness, and swelling.
Arbonne makeup isn’t the only brand that utilizes natural ingredients to create makeup products that benefit the skin, rather than cause premature aging like many of the makeup products that contain chemicals do. Apart from Arbonne makeup, you should also give the following brands some consideration if you are looking to invest in natural makeup products instead of relying on the ones that contain chemicals.
- Josie Maran Cosmetics – The company was founded by Josie Maran, a model and nature lover. Their products primarily utilize the benefits of argan oil.
- Dr. Hauschka Skin Care – The company was founded by a dermatologist and believes that makeup should not only be used to cover up flaws on the skin but also to improve the condition of the user’s skin.
- Alima Pure – A range of makeup by makeup artist Kate O’Brien. The range uses a combination of minerals instead of chemicals and has additional benefits for the skin.
- RMS Beauty – A line of organically manufactured makeup products that was developed by a celebrity makeup artist – Rosie-Marie Swift.
Arbonne makeup prides themselves in being a unique company that provides natural beauty and skincare products that improve the lives of its users. While the company does rely mostly on natural ingredients, there is still a risk of side-effects. Fortunately, it seems like the majority of the possible side-effects are mostly mild and should not cause any severe reactions unless a person has a severe allergy to any of the ingredients that are used.
You should always do a small patch test on the back of your hand to test for allergies before applying a new type of makeup to your face.
Sophie Addison is an enthusiast blogger and writer. She is very passionate about writing general health and fitness. She has posted articles on skincare problems, joint pain treatment, weight loss and woman’s health. Apart from work she likes gardening and listening to music. Connect with her on Facebook, Instagram, and Twitter.
A Special Message From Our Founders
Over the past few years of working with health experts all over the world, there’s one major insight we’ve learned.
Most health problems can often be resolved with a good diet, exercise and a few powerful superfoods. In fact, we’ve gone through hundreds of scientific papers and ‘superfood’ claims and only selected the top 5% that are:
- Backed by scientific research
- Simple to use
We then put this valuable information into the Superfood as Medicine Guide: a 100+ page guide on the 7 most powerful superfoods available, including:
- Exact dosages for every health ailment
- DIY recipes to create your own products
- Simple recipes
Grab your copy before the offer runs out!