This article is shared with permission from our friends at Paleohacks.com.
Detox Beet Soup with Coconut Milk
This vibrant detox beet soup can be enjoyed hot or cold. Cozy up to it on a chilly night or enjoy it chilled on a summer afternoon!
The Benefits of Beets
Beets are a nutritious powerhouse. This root veggie is low in fat, rich in fiber and antioxidants, and packed with key nutrients such as vitamin B, iron and manganese. They also have amazing health benefits and are known for being able to naturally detox the body.
To find quality, fresh beetroots, always look for those with their greens intact. The beetroot should be firm, smooth, and a vibrant red-purple, not squishy, wrinkled or dull in color.
How to Cook Beets
To prepare the beets for roasting, slice off the leaves, then wash the beets under cool water along with the sweet potatoes. Next, wrap each beet and sweet potato in foil. Roast them at 400°F for about an hour. You’ll know when they’re done if a fork slides easily into their centers.
When they’re ready, take them out of the oven. Once they’re cool enough to handle, peel off the skin with your hands. If your hands get stained from the beets, don’t worry. Simply rub some lemon juice over them to help remove the color.
From here, everything’s a breeze. All that’s left is to blend the roasted veggies with sautéed onion, vegetable stock, and coconut milk, add the spices, and you’ll have a tasty soup that you can enjoy hot or cold. You can make a batch of it on Sunday and enjoy it all week long or store your beet soup in the freezer for later when you don’t have time to cook and want a delicious meal.
Detox Beet Soup with Coconut Milk
Recipe by: Dina Hassan
Total time: 1 hour and 10 minutes
Prep time: 10 minutes
Cook time: 1 hour
This vibrant beet soup can be enjoyed hot or cold. Cozy up to it on a chilly night or enjoy it chilled on a summer afternoon!
- Baking tray
- Tin foil
- 3 large red beets
- 4 medium sweet potatoes
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 3 cups vegetable stock
- 1 can coconut milk
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1 teaspoon cumin powder
- 1/2 teaspoon coriander powder
- 1/4 cup coconut milk
- 2 tablespoon fresh chives, chopped (for garnish)
- Preheat oven to 400°F.
- Wash the sweet potatoes and beets under cool running water. Wrap them in separate foil sheets, place them on a baking tray, and roast for 1 hour. Remove from oven and set aside to cool.
- Meanwhile, chop and sauté the onion with extra virgin olive oil until translucent. Add minced garlic and sauté for another minute. Season with salt, pepper, cumin and coriander. Set aside.
- Once the beetroots and potatoes are cool enough to handle, peel the skin off, chop into cubes, and place them into a blender. Add onion mix, coconut milk and 3 cups of vegetable stock. Blend until smooth. If you find it too thick, gradually add another cup of stock until you reach your desired consistency.
- If you’d like to enjoy it hot, heat the beet soup in a saucepan. Pour into serving bowls and garnish with coconut milk and chopped chives.
A Special Message From Our Founders
Over the past few years of working with health experts all over the world, there’s one major insight we’ve learned.
Most health problems can often be resolved with a good diet, exercise and a few powerful superfoods. In fact, we’ve gone through hundreds of scientific papers and ‘superfood’ claims and only selected the top 5% that are:
- Backed by scientific research
- Simple to use
We then put this valuable information into the Superfood as Medicine Guide: a 100+ page guide on the 7 most powerful superfoods available, including:
- Exact dosages for every health ailment
- DIY recipes to create your own products
- Simple recipes