There are two kinds of people in this world: One grew up eating aratilis and the other don’t know what in the world that they are. If you belong in the latter category, you are in for a treat.
Meet the little berry that contains four incredible health benefits that will convince you to look for this fruit the next time you go shopping.
What are Aratilis?
Aratilis is a little red berry grown in only a few parts of the world, including Mexico, the Caribean, Asia, and the Phillippines. Aratilis is the Filipino name, but it is also called Muntingia calabura, Jamaica cherry, strawberry tree, capulin, Panama berry, Singapore tree, and saresa. It’s all depending on the place where it’s being eaten. They grow with little maintenance, with just enough sun and water. The tree and berries grow very quickly, taking only two years to become a 3-meter high tree.
In its mother countries, aratilis are usually eaten raw, similar to other familiar fruits. Some people sell this berry to the market to produce jams. The leaves are used for tea. In Brazil, the fisherman found a way to utilize it for their trade by planting the trees along river banks. This supposedly attracts the fish. In Indonesia and the Philippines, children eat the aratilis with no reason to sell them for profit.
If you grew up with these cultures, you could attest to enjoying this fruit as a child. If you or your kids still eat it, read on to discover what this has been doing for your health.
The Health Benefits of Aratilis
The body has natural methods to distil and expel foreign bacteria, but sometimes it needs help from outside sources, like foods. When you feel a cold coming on, you are recovering from a virus, or your immune system is low for any reason, aratilis is a great fruit to try. Although the research done is preliminary, this little berry’s antibacterial properties are promising.
2. Improves Cognition
Aratilis are a source of flavanone compounds. Researchers have found that eating foods rich in this compound helps the development and proper function of the brain. Consuming this berry regularly with similarly beneficial foods could help those who are experiencing a mild cognitive impairment, or those with a neurodegenerative disease.
Inflammation is a widespread condition that can affect any part of the body. Eating aratilis fruits may counter this unhealthy ailment and reduce swelling.
4. Fights Cancer
Some research has shown that Aratilis contain cytotoxic flavonoids (3), which are potent cancer-fighting compounds. The fruit is delicious to eat for this perk, but the stems and leaves of the tree are also powerful when it comes to preventing certain cancers. Many people already drink that part of the plant brewed in a tea.
Try Some Today!
Science is still catching up to rediscover the traditional methods of healing so there is still more research to be done about aratilis and its health properties. Until scientists take the time to study these fruits more in depth, it is recommended for you to sample these berries. They are savory and as healthy as other popular fruits.
If you grew up on aratilis, keep on eating them. You already know they are good.
(1) StethNEWS. Your Favorite Childhood Fruit, Aratilis, Has BIG Health Benefits. http://www.stethnews.com/2804/your-favorite-childhood-fruit-aratilis-has-big-health-benefits/. Published: September 28, 2015. Accessed: October 14, 2016.
(2) Anastasia.Your FAVORITE Childhood Fruit Aratilis Has BIG Health Benefits. http://www.dietoflife.com/favorite-childhood-fruit-aratilis-big-health-benefits/ Accessed: October 14, 2016.
(4) Hossain, Ahamed Ismail, Mohammad Faisal, Shahnaz Rahman, Rownak Jahan, and Mohammed Rahmatullah. “A preliminary evaluation of antihyperglycemic and analgesic activity of Alternanthera sessilis aerial parts.” BMC Complementary and Alternative Medicine 14.1 (2014): n. pag. Web.
(5) Balan, Tavamani, Mohd. Hijaz Mohd. Sani, Velan Suppaiah, Norhafizah Mohtarrudin, Zarizal Suhaili, Zuraini Ahmad, and Zainul Amiruddin Zakaria. “Antiulcer activity of Muntingia calabura leaves involves the modulation of endogenous nitric oxide and nonprotein sulfhydryl compounds.” Pharmaceutical Biology 52.4 (2013): 410-18. Web.
A Special Message From Our Founders
Over the past few years of working with health experts all over the world, there’s one major insight we’ve learned.
Most health problems can often be resolved with a good diet, exercise and a few powerful superfoods. In fact, we’ve gone through hundreds of scientific papers and ‘superfood’ claims and only selected the top 5% that are:
- Backed by scientific research
- Simple to use
We then put this valuable information into the Superfood as Medicine Guide: a 100+ page guide on the 7 most powerful superfoods available, including:
- Exact dosages for every health ailment
- DIY recipes to create your own products
- Simple recipes
Grab your copy before the offer runs out!