When Carrie Fisher died on December 27, 2016, the world lost a remarkable woman. While many people know her from her iconic role as Princess Leia in the Star Wars franchise along with dozens of other films and television appearances, not as many are familiar with her spunky attitude when the cameras weren’t rolling.
Carrie Fisher had a lot to say about expectations of beauty, what it’s like being a woman, and how to live freely, and she often spoke up about mental health issues, having been diagnosed with bipolar disorder herself. We’d like to bring you some of her best quotes from over the years. We hope you enjoy getting to know her through her words- we know her legacy will live on.
16 of the Best Carrie Fisher Quotes
We hope you find value, meaning, and direction in some of her inspirational quotes about life.
1. “Stay afraid, but do it anyway. What’s important is the action. You don’t have to wait to be confident. Just do it and eventually, the confidence will follow.” (2008, from her book Wishful Drinking)
2. “Resentment is like drinking poison and waiting for the other person to die” (Wishful Drinking)
3. “No motive is pure. No one is good or bad, but a hearty mix of both. And sometimes life actually gives to you by taking away.” (Wishful Drinking)
4. “One of the things that baffles me (and there are quite a few) is how there can be so much lingering stigma with regards to mental illness, specifically bipolar disorder. In my opinion, living with manic depression takes a tremendous amount of balls. Not unlike a tour of Afghanistan (though the bombs and bullets, in this case, come from the inside).
At times, being bipolar can be an all-consuming challenge, requiring a lot of stamina and, even more courage, so if you’re living with this illness and functioning at all, it’s something to be proud of, not ashamed of. They should issue medals along with the steady stream of medication.” (Wishful Drinking)
5. “Please stop debating about whether or not I aged well. Unfortunately, it hurts all 3 of my feelings. My body hasn’t aged as well as I have.” (2015, from her twitter page)
Claim Your FREE Copy of The Easy 5-Ingredient Ketogenic Diet Cookbook Now!
6. “Youth and beauty are NOT ACCOMPLISHMENTS. They’re the temporary happy by-products of time or DNA. Don’t hold your breath for either.” (2015, twitter)
7. “All my life, generally, anything that’s been a challenge for me has never been a secret. I went into rehab when I was 28 years old, and then I was diagnosed as being bipolar. Because I grew up in a public family, I never really had a private life. And so if those issues are going to be public, I would rather them to be public the way I’ve experienced them rather than someone else assuming things about me.
It’s freeing to do it. Shame is not something I aspire to. And actually, it’s been really nice, because a lot of people are bipolar. So I get a lot of people coming up to me and thanking me for that. Ever so often I think, ‘Oh god, why did I go and tell everyone all that?’ But rarely, absolutely rarely. (2016, on CBC news)
8. “I identify more with who I feel myself to be than what I look like. Either way, am I obligated to entertain you with my appearance?” (2015, twitter)
9. “I need to write. It keeps me focused for long enough to complete thoughts. To let each train of thought run to its conclusion and let a new one begin. It keeps me thinking. I’m afraid that if I stop writing I’ll stop thinking and start feeling.” (2016, from her book The Princess Diarist)
10. “The crew was mostly men. That’s how it was and that’s pretty much how it still is. It’s a man’s world and show business is a man’s meal, with women generously sprinkled through it like overqualified spice.” (2016, The Princess Diarist)
A photo posted by Carrie Fisher (@carriefisherofficial) on
11. “There’s no room for demons when you’re self-possessed.” (2014, twitter)
12. “Happy is one of the many things I’m likely to be over the course of a day and certainly over the course of a lifetime. But I think if you have the expectation that you’re going to be happy throughout your life–more to the point, if you have a need to be comfortable all the time–well, among other things, you have the makings of a classic drug addict or alcoholic.” (Wishful Drinking)
13. “From here on out, there’s just reality. I think that’s what maturity is: a stoic response to endless reality. But then, what do I know?” (1987, from her book Postcards from the Edge)
14. “I don’t hate hardly ever, and when I love, I love for miles and miles. A love so big it should either be outlawed or it should have a capital and its own currency.” (2011, from her book Shockaholic)
15. “There is no point at which you can say, ‘Well, I’m successful now. I might as well take a nap.”
16. “If I’m like [my mother] in any way, I’m very very happy.” 2011, from her interview on the Oprah show
Did you have a favorite? Take one of these inspirational quotes about life and stick it in your wallet, put it on your mirror, whatever works for you. Or share one with someone you care about who could use a pick-me-up today.
A quick note from our founders
Claim Your FREE Copy of
Discover 131 delicious fat-shredding keto recipes inside this special edition of this New York Times bestseller… plus more. And today we’re GIVING it away 100% FREE!