This article is shared with permission from our friends at Paleo Hacks.
Smothered in a creamy, dairy-free sauce, these Swedish meatballs are deliciously decadent.
The gravy for Swedish meatballs is traditionally made with heavy cream or even sour cream. While delicious, the dairy can set off an inflammatory response for those who suffer from dairy sensitivities. In this recipe, coconut cream steps in to create a rich sauce. A touch of tangy Dijon mustard and rich beef bone broth make this sauce a lick-your-plate delight. Homemade bone broth is best in this recipe as it contains lots of joint-protecting collagen and helps heal the gut by reducing inflammation.
Almond meal is my go-to in meatball recipes because it blends well and helps keep the meatballs tender. I don’t recommend using coconut flour as a breadcrumb substitute in meatball recipes because it soaks up moisture and its flavor stands out too much. Tip: If you have nut sensitivities, try using nutritional yeast instead of the almond meal – it’s a terrific binder and imparts a mild cheesy flavor.
Start by mixing ground beef and pork, almond meal, egg and spices together using your hands. Roll into balls a little larger than golf balls, then sauté them in ghee until browned. Set the meatballs aside and lower the heat. Slowly pour in the sauce ingredients and use a wooden spatula to scrape up any browned-on pieces from the pan – they add intense flavor to the sauce. Add the meatballs back into the pan and simmer in the sauce for 20 minutes to cook through. Serve hot garnished with fresh parsley.
Get your Free copy of The Wicked Good Ketogenic Diet Cookbook
This free cookbook is jampacked with 148 delicious ketogenic recipes that will help you burn fat like crazy!
The Best Swedish Meatballs Smothered in a Creamy, Dairy-Free Sauce
Recipe by: Jennafer Ashley
Total Time: 35 Minutes
Preparation time: 10 Minutes
Cook Time: 25 Minutes
Serves: 16 to 18 meatballs
- Mixing bowl
- Large skillet
- Wooden spatula
- 1 lb ground beef
- 1 lb ground pork
- 1/3 cup almond meal
- 1 egg
- 1/2 cup white onion, minced
- 1 teaspoon garlic, minced
- 1/2 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1/2 teaspoon sea salt
- 1 tablespoon ghee
- 1 14 oz can full-fat coconut cream
- 1 cup beef bone broth or beef stock
- 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
- 1/4 cup parsley, finely chopped
- In a large mixing bowl, use your hands to combine the ground beef, ground pork, almond meal, egg, onion, garlic, nutmeg, and sea salt. Roll the meat into medium-sized balls.
- Heat the ghee in a large skillet over medium heat. Add the meatballs in batches with enough space to move them around. Cook for 4 to 5 minutes, turning every 2 minutes. Remove the meatballs from the pan and set aside.
- Reduce the heat to low. Carefully pour the coconut cream, beef broth and Dijon mustard into the pan and heat, scraping up any browned-on bits with a wooden spatula. Stir well.
- Once the sauce is steaming hot, add the meatballs back to the pan and simmer for 20 minutes to cook through. Serve hot garnished with fresh parsley.
A quick note from our founders
Have you been curious about the Ketogenic Diet? You're not alone!
Going "Keto" has helped so many of our friends drop weight and keep it off.
And it's the perfect time to try it because right now you can get a free copy of a brand new cookbook called
This cookbook is jampacked with 148 delicious ketogenic recipes that will help you burn fat like crazy. Even stubborn belly and thigh fat won't stand a chance because your body will have NO CHOICE but to burn that fat for fuel!
If you've struggled to get rid of stubborn fat, you owe it to yourself to test-drive the keto diet and see how effective it really is. It’ll be easy once you have this free cookbook...
HURRY, this FREE offer won’t last long!