It has been less than a year since ”The Great American Eclipse” back in August 2017. That one was special because it was the first time a total solar eclipse had gone from one American coast to the other in almost 100 years. But on July 27, 2018, the longest lunar eclipse of the century – also known as a blood moon – will be visible to much of the world!
What Is a Lunar Eclipse or Blood Moon?
Compared to a solar eclipse, in a lunar eclipse, the sun and moon are swapped and aligned like so: SUN > EARTH > MOON. A lunar eclipse occurs when the sun shines directly on earth, casting a shadow that completely covers the moon hiding behind it at just the right time. (Check out the diagram below for a clearer visual!)
The reason why you hear people calling it a blood moon is because the “earth’s shadow moves over the moon, blocking the sunlight that ordinarily reflects off its surface and giving it a reddish glow.”
What makes this total lunar eclipse so special is its length! Theoretically, the longest possible duration for one to occur is 1 hour and 47 minutes… The one we’re expecting on July 27 is going to last a total of 1 hour and 43 minutes!
Where to See the Longest Total Lunar Eclipse of the 21st Century
Here’s a quick rundown of where and when you can catch part (if not all) of the total lunar eclipse on July 27, 2018!
- Central and Eastern Africa: You can watch the entire eclipse in Cairo at 9:30 pm and Nairobi at 10:30 pm local time.
- Eastern Europe: Total lunar eclipse begins in eastern cities including Bucharest, Romania and Moscow Russia at 10:30 pm local time.
- The Middle East: Home to arguably the best view of the total lunar eclipse, you’ll want to be in either Limassol at 10:30 pm or Dubai at 11:30 pm local time.
- Central and Southeast Asia: If you’re in or around New Delhi, 1:00 am local time is when you should look up to the sky. Anyone in or around Bangkok, Thailand can see the total lunar eclipse at 2:30 am.
- Western Australia: At 3:30 am local time in Perth is when the total lunar eclipse will occur.
And the best part? Unlike a potentially blinding solar eclipse, you need no special equipment whatsoever to enjoy this total lunar eclipse. (Unless, of course, you want to bring out your telescope or binoculars to enhance your experience!)
Unfortunately, we are going to miss it here in North America. But if you find yourself anywhere else in the world, we hope you witness this historical moment!
That being said, people all around the world may notice a shift in energy during this time…
Astrology and the Blood Moon
If you are into astrology, the energy shift triggered by a blood moon and total lunar eclipse combination might be nerve-racking. In the same way the earth casts its shadow over the moon, some believe that celestial events like this awaken the “shadow self” and lead to chaos both in your personal life and the outside world.
It sounds cliché, but everyone has a dark side to their personality or a deep secret they keep hidden away – even from themselves. Well, on July 27, astrologists warn that many people may be forced to face this “shadow” reality whether they like it or not.
Although you may not like what comes – challenges and struggles present opportunities for immense growth. So, if you can, channel your anxieties into personal growth instead. Tackle your “shadow self” head on… The growth you experience and personal truths you discover will amaze you. Moments and opportunities such as this one are fleeting, so use it to the best of capabilities.
- Nace, T. (2018, July 24). Don’t Miss This Week’s Deep Red Blood Moon – The Longest Lunar Eclipse Of This Century. Retrieved from https://www.forbes.com/sites/trevornace/2018/07/23/dont-miss-this-weeks-deep-red-blood-moon-the-longest-lunar-eclipse-of-this-century/#5df388916c2a
- McCluskey, M. (2018, July 23). July 2018 Total Lunar Eclipse: Where It Will Be Visible. Retrieved from http://time.com/5336078/what-time-is-the-lunar-eclipse/
- July 27–28, 2018 – Total Lunar Eclipse. (n.d.). Retrieved from https://www.timeanddate.com/eclipse/lunar/2018-july-27
Lose 11 pounds in 22 days?
Is it REALLY possible to lose 11 lbs. of fat in 22 days? Actually yes… BUT only when you’re a level 4 fat burner. Unfortunately, most people are stuck as level 1 fat burners. So, how do you become a level 4 fat burner to lose up to 11 lbs. in 22 days? Simply eat these foods daily:Lose up to 11 lbs. in 22 days by eating these foods daily
(upgrades you to level 4 fat burning status)