Smoothies are a great way of getting your daily intake of vitamins and minerals. Just because something is good for us, doesn’t mean it tastes good. Therefore, blending some of these ingredients – for me, it’s cilantro – into a smoothie can be a helpful solution.
Smoothies allow you to reap the benefits of such ingredients without having to cringe at every bite. In addition, consuming foods in this way is better for your digestion.
The following green smoothie recipe is filled with nutritious ingredients that will have your body asking for more.
Benefits of Avocado
Avocados have become an increasingly popular addition to salads and toast. Thankfully, avocados are considered to be one of those healthy fats – you know, the ones that are actually good for you and are okay for you to eat.
This fruit is packed with health benefits including:
- Source of vitamin K, which helps keep your bones healthy (no, it’s not just calcium that does this)
- Helps balance your cholesterol levels
- Contains beta-carotene, which keeps your eyes in good health
- Contains folate, which helps keep your brain healthy and lowers the risk of depression
- Good for your digestive health and maintaining regular bowel movements
This herb is regularly paired with Mexican dishes, but you may benefit from adding it to your other meals or beverages. Its antioxidant and antibacterial properties help preserve other foods it is added to and protect against Salmonella. In addition, cilantro has been found to lower blood sugar levels and protect your body from harmful free radicals.
Cilantro is sometimes used as a spice to add flavour to a dish. This plant is another source of vitamin K, which helps prevent blood clots.
As it turns out, going green isn’t just good for the environment; it’s good for your health. Get out your blender to experience the benefits of this nutritious and filling smoothie.
Republished with permission from drhyman.com.
Fat Burning Green Smoothie
Prep time: 5 minutes
- 1 lemon, quartered (washed and unpeeled)
- 1 whole avocado, peeled and pitted
- 2 stalks celery
- 2 cups spinach
- ½ bunch parsley
- ½ bunch cilantro
- 1 organic cucumber (washed and unpeeled)
- 1 teaspoon organic extra-virgin olive oil
- pinch of sea salt
- *ginger (optional)
- water as needed
- berries (optional) – adding berries will make your smoothie sweeter
*Editor’s note: We’ve added an additional ingredient to make this smoothie even healthier than it already is.
- Place all ingredients in a blender.
- Blend together until smooth, adding water, as needed for desired consistency.
Nutritional analysis per serving (1 smoothie)
Calories 420 • Fat 30 g • Saturated fat 5 g • Cholesterol 0 mg • Fiber 23 g • Protein 12 g • Carbohydrate 36 g • Sodium 180 mg
A Special Message From Our Founders
Over the past few years of working with health experts all over the world, there’s one major insight we’ve learned.
Most health problems can often be resolved with a good diet, exercise and a few powerful superfoods. In fact, we’ve gone through hundreds of scientific papers and ‘superfood’ claims and only selected the top 5% that are:
- Backed by scientific research
- Simple to use
We then put this valuable information into the Superfood as Medicine Guide: a 100+ page guide on the 7 most powerful superfoods available, including:
- Exact dosages for every health ailment
- DIY recipes to create your own products
- Simple recipes