Butternut Squash Soup
Prep Time: 20 minutes
Cook Time: 20 minutes
Number of servings: 12
Per Serving99 calories
Get your Free copy of The Complete Ketogenic Diet For Beginners
Learn how you can lose weight and keep it off while eating your favourite foods like Pizza & Mac and cheese!
- 1 good sized butternut squash (about 3-4 pounds), peeled and cubed=about 10 cups
- 2 cups of small diced carrots
- 1 1/4 cup of diced celery
- 2 cups of diced onions
- 2 tbsp minced garlic
- 2 cups of chopped apples (I didn’t peel, as skins have extra fiber, but your choice)
- 6 cups of water
- 1/2 tsp of pepper (to taste)
- 1 1/2 tsp salt (to taste)
- 3 tbsp dried sage (don’t omit-gives depth of flavor!)
- 1-2 cups almond milk (I added 1 cup to serve the first night, and added a little more when I reheated the second night)
- Place onions, garlic, celery, sage into pot, along with a few tbsp of water. Sauté until onions have softened. Alternatively, you can skip this and just add everything to the pot at once.
- Add remaining ingredients, except almond milk and bring to a low boil. Turn heat down and simmer until squash has softened.
- Using a stick blender (or a regular Vitamix) puree soup until creamy texture. If using a regular blender, be careful to vent, as steam could cause a build up in pressure and explode the top (we don’t want all of our hard work ruined with a squash covered ceiling! Best to do this in batches).
- Eat and enjoy, or freeze in quart containers for another day. We served this with pizza night and another time with corn muffins.
• LOW in calories, no fat or cholesterol: perfect for heart health and diabetes
• Gluten Free & Vegan-great for decreasing inflammation in the body
• Good source of fiber-4.6g/serving; helps with digestive health, lowers risk of many cancers, regulates blood sugar
• Packed with Potassium, 663 mg/serving: lowers cholesterol levels & cancer risk, regulates blood pressure and kidney function
• Antioxidant Vitamin A- 355%/serving: important for skin, eye, bone and dental health, helps blood pressure and cholesterol regulation
• Antioxidant Vitamin C 58%/serving; needed for immune health and function
• Good source of Calcium-13%/serving-excellent for bone and dental health, plant-based sources are better absorbed by the body
• High in Vitamin B-complex vitamins, squash is great at regulating blood sugar levels
Tell us what you think of this plant-based recipe because we’d love to know.
This article was republished with permission from foodrevolution.org.
A quick note from our founders
Have you been curious about the Ketogenic Diet? You're not alone!
Going "Keto" has helped so many of our friends drop weight and keep it off.
And it's the perfect time to try it because right now you can get a free copy of a brand new cookbook called
This cookbook is jampacked with 76 delicious ketogenic recipes that will help you burn fat like crazy. Even stubborn belly and thigh fat won't stand a chance because your body will have NO CHOICE but to burn that fat for fuel....all while you enjoy your favourite foods like pizza!!!!
If you've struggled to get rid of stubborn fat, you owe it to yourself to test-drive the keto diet and see how effective it really is. It’ll be easy once you have this free cookbook...
HURRY, this FREE offer won’t last long!