Butternut Squash Soup
Prep Time: 20 minutes
Cook Time: 20 minutes
Number of servings: 12
Per Serving99 calories
Claim Your FREE Copy of The Easy 5-Ingredient Ketogenic Diet Cookbook Now!
- 1 good sized butternut squash (about 3-4 pounds), peeled and cubed=about 10 cups
- 2 cups of small diced carrots
- 1 1/4 cup of diced celery
- 2 cups of diced onions
- 2 tbsp minced garlic
- 2 cups of chopped apples (I didn’t peel, as skins have extra fiber, but your choice)
- 6 cups of water
- 1/2 tsp of pepper (to taste)
- 1 1/2 tsp salt (to taste)
- 3 tbsp dried sage (don’t omit-gives depth of flavor!)
- 1-2 cups almond milk (I added 1 cup to serve the first night, and added a little more when I reheated the second night)
- Place onions, garlic, celery, sage into pot, along with a few tbsp of water. Sauté until onions have softened. Alternatively, you can skip this and just add everything to the pot at once.
- Add remaining ingredients, except almond milk and bring to a low boil. Turn heat down and simmer until squash has softened.
- Using a stick blender (or a regular Vitamix) puree soup until creamy texture. If using a regular blender, be careful to vent, as steam could cause a build up in pressure and explode the top (we don’t want all of our hard work ruined with a squash covered ceiling! Best to do this in batches).
- Eat and enjoy, or freeze in quart containers for another day. We served this with pizza night and another time with corn muffins.
• LOW in calories, no fat or cholesterol: perfect for heart health and diabetes
• Gluten Free & Vegan-great for decreasing inflammation in the body
• Good source of fiber-4.6g/serving; helps with digestive health, lowers risk of many cancers, regulates blood sugar
• Packed with Potassium, 663 mg/serving: lowers cholesterol levels & cancer risk, regulates blood pressure and kidney function
• Antioxidant Vitamin A- 355%/serving: important for skin, eye, bone and dental health, helps blood pressure and cholesterol regulation
• Antioxidant Vitamin C 58%/serving; needed for immune health and function
• Good source of Calcium-13%/serving-excellent for bone and dental health, plant-based sources are better absorbed by the body
• High in Vitamin B-complex vitamins, squash is great at regulating blood sugar levels
Tell us what you think of this plant-based recipe because we’d love to know.
This article was republished with permission from foodrevolution.org.
A quick note from our founders
Claim Your FREE Copy of
Discover 131 delicious fat-shredding keto recipes inside this special edition of this New York Times bestseller… plus more. And today we’re GIVING it away 100% FREE!