This article is shared with permission from our friends at Paleohacks.com.
This ‘Whole Cauliflower in Heavenly Beef Ragoût‘ recipe transforms this everyday vegetable into the main attraction. Stewed over low heat with a delicious concoction of diced vegetables, beef, and a fragrant sauce made with wine, balsamic vinegar, and beef stock, this is one dish you’re going to love!
Cauliflower Benefits: How to Cook Cauliflower
While cauliflower has grown in demand as more people discover how to use it as a healthy substitute for rice (think cauliflower rice) or potatoes (think mashed cauliflower), this veggie still tends to be relegated to the role of a side dish. Rarely, if ever, does cauliflower get to shine as the star of any recipe.
Easy, Healthy Cauliflower Recipe
Today, we’ll be bringing this humble vegetable back into the limelight, cooking it whole and intact along with a mouthwatering beef ragoût sauce. Not only is this a fuss-free method to cook up a comforting meal, it’s also a unique way to serve cauliflower!
Starting with the base, you’ll need plenty of diced firm vegetables – onions, carrots, celery, and garlic. Sauté the vegetables in a large pot until they are cooked, then brown the beef cubes slightly before making a well in the middle and placing the whole cauliflower head in the center. Next, add the ingredients for the sauce, cover the pot, and let the ingredients stew over low heat until the cauliflower is fork tender. Sprinkle some fresh chopped parsley on top of the beef ragoût for a refreshing pop of color, and tuck in!
Whole Cauliflower in Heavenly Beef Ragoût
Total time: 1 hour
Prep Time: 15 mins
Cook Time: 45 mins
- Large pot
- 1 head of cauliflower, with large outside, leaves removed
- 2 tablespoons of coconut oil
- 1 large yellow onion, diced
- 1 large carrot, diced
- 4 celery stalks, diced
- 3 large garlic cloves, minced
- ½ lb beef tenderloin, cubed
- 2 tablespoons of balsamic vinegar
- 1 cup of red wine
- 3 cups of beef stock
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- Fresh chopped parsley, to garnish
- Wash the cauliflower head and remove any large outside leaves.
- Heat up the coconut oil in a large pot over medium heat. Sauté the onions, carrots, celery, and garlic for about 3 to 5 minutes, until just cooked.
- Reduce heat to low and add in the beef cubes. Sauté for 1 minute until browned on the outside.
- Make a well in the middle of the beef and vegetables and place the whole cauliflower head in the center. Pour in the balsamic vinegar, red wine, and beef stock (the sauce should come up to half of the height of the cauliflower) and cover. Cook for 40 minutes, until the cauliflower, is fork tender.
- Add salt and pepper to taste. Sprinkle with fresh chopped parsley and serve.
Tip: It’s important to cover the pot to create a “steaming” effect that will cook the cauliflower since only half of the cauliflower will be submerged in the sauce. Make sure that as the cauliflower cooks, the heat is switched down to low so that the beef cubes and veggies do not become overcooked.
(You’ll Also Love: Rainy Day Beef Tomato Soup)
Learn 3 clever cauliflower recipes for a simple, nutritious dinner or side dish in this video by Domestic Geek!
A Special Message From Our Founders
Over the past few years of working with health experts all over the world, there’s one major insight we’ve learned.
Most health problems can often be resolved with a good diet, exercise and a few powerful superfoods. In fact, we’ve gone through hundreds of scientific papers and ‘superfood’ claims and only selected the top 5% that are:
- Backed by scientific research
- Simple to use
We then put this valuable information into the Superfood as Medicine Guide: a 100+ page guide on the 7 most powerful superfoods available, including:
- Exact dosages for every health ailment
- DIY recipes to create your own products
- Simple recipes
This offer is only available until December 31st, 2017. Make sure to grab your copy before the offer runs out.