Breaking news: we’re revolutionizing chocolate cake. As doctors and heath aficionados seem to have blacklisted egg, flour, and sugar from the-cake-making-kitchen, we thought it best to have a healthy alternative available. Instead, this “Coffee-Chocolate Vegan Cake with Chocolate Mascarpone Cheese Icing” recipe uses quinoa, millet, and buckwheat to make a filling a nutritious flour, alongside a flaxseed egg.
This vegan cake recipe doesn’t sacrifice flavor. We use the sweetness of maple syrup, the richness of coconut oil, and the freshness of lemon juice to make a delicious cake that vegans, health nuts, and regular sugar addicts will enjoy.
The Chocolate Mascarpone Cheese Icing is sugar-free yet still, has a sweet and delicious flavor to satisfy the most dominant cravings.
While the recipe can be slightly more challenging than the easy water-and-mix-out-of-the-box baker, we’ve broken it down so anyone, who wants to can do it.
The Vegan Cake Recipe: Coffee Chocolate Cake
For The Cake:
- 2/3 cup (80g) cocoa powder
- 1/4 cup (30g) millet flour
- 1/4 cup (35g) quinoa flour
- 1/4 cup (40g) buckwheat flour
- 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp sea salt
- Four tsp espresso beans
- 2 tbsp water + 1 tbsp flax seeds
- 1/2 cup (roughly) (60g) cocoa butter
- 1/3 cup (65g) coconut oil
- One apple (175g)
- 1/2 zucchini (100g)
- 1/2 cup (125ml) real maple syrup
- 2 tsp water
- One tsp apple cider vinegar
For the frosting:
- 1 ½ cup coconut milk (not “Lite”)
- 6 tbsp cashew butter
- 9 tbsp of cacao powder
- 1 ½ Tblsp fresh lemon juice
Preparing The Chocolate Mascarpone Cheese Icing, and The Cake
- Boil 1 inch of water in a wide skillet
- Reduce to medium-low to bring the water to a simmer
The Coconut Cream
- Mix coconut milk, cacao powder, and cashew butter using a blender or processor
- Pour into a heat resistant bowl
- Put the heat resistant bowl into the simmering skillet
- Stir often until it bubbles consistently (20-25 minutes)
- Add the lemon juice to the cream as it becomes thicker
- Take the bowl out and let it cool for 20 minutes
Making Mascarpone Cheese Icing
- Line a sieve or flat strainer with four layers of dampened cheesecloth
- Cover a bowl with the cheese-cloth-sieve
- Slowly pour the coconut cream into the cheese cloth
- Let it drip slowly
- Once it has gone through the sieve and cooled cover with plastic wrap
- Refrigerate overnight or up to 24 hours
- Preheat Bake to 375° F
The Flax “Egg”
- Add 1tbsp of flax seeds
- 2tbsp of water into a bowl.
- Stir until it turns into a gel.
The Vegan Cake Flour
- Mix 2/3 cups of cocoa powder into a large mixing bowl,
- ¼ cup of quinoa powder,
- ¼ millet powder,
- ¼ buckwheat powder,
- Add ½ tsp baking powder,
- Pour ½ tsp bicarbonate of soda,
- Give it a ½ tsp sea salt.
- Four tsp of espresso beans
The Oil mixture
- Pour coconut oil and cocoa butter into a pan on low heat for a couple of minutes to turn it into liquid.
The Apple Liquid
- Core your apple, and toss it into the blender.
- Pour your oil mixture
- Add ½ cup of the courgette
- Pour 2tsp of water
- Spoon 1tsp of apple cider
- Drizzle ½ cup of real maple syrup
- Blend until smooth
- Get the vegan cake flour and its mixing bowl
- Pour half of the apple liquid into the bowl
- Then the flax “egg”
- Fold and stir the ingredients together with a spatula
- Add the remaining apple liquid
- Stir and fold it all together to make a delicious cake batter
The Vegan Cake
- Pour the batter into two separate round-6-inch cake tins.
- Bake each for 35-40 minutes
Putting it together:
- Once the cakes have cooled remove them from their tins and place on a plate
- Spread the icing on top of one of the cakes until smooth
- Sandwich the cakes together
- Then spread more icing on top of the cake and around the sides with any remaining icing
All this hard work will be worth it, as it serves 10-12 people, or just you 10 – 12 times depending on how big you like your slices.
Other delicious recipes you may like:
A quick note from our founders
We wanted to tell you about a better and far easier way to get all your daily nutritional needs and then some into your diet...
It's so incredible, we've done the unthinkable. YES, we sold our juicers--never to juice again!
And NO we’re not spending good money on outrageously expensive smoothies at those high-priced franchises or shots of wheatgrass at $5 a pop.
No this is way easier and cheaper…
In fact, each serving takes just 30 seconds to make and contains all your daily nutrition needs and more-- and at the same time, costs JUST $1.36 per serving.
You can make a glass in a snap, with water or almond milk and just a spoon or a water bottle.
Maybe best of all, each serving contains no sugar and there's no gag-reflex from the yucky taste of the dreaded green foam : )
Check out our new inexpensive, juicer-free juicing method