This fantastic article was written by Sarah Biren, a baker, cook, author, and blogger living in Toronto. We encourage you to check out her website here!
The first time I ordered shakshuka, I had no idea what I would be served. ‘Shakshuka’ ambiguously means ‘mixture’ or ‘to shake’ in Arabic, but I am not fluent in Arabic, and my friend wouldn’t tell me anything more than, “Just order it; it’s good.” The waitress was of the same opinion, so I took the leap of faith and was not disappointed. To my further delight, the Israeli cafe served gluten-free bread to mop up the savory tomato sauce.
I’ve been able to replicate the recipe in my own kitchen with different variations, such as adding sautéed eggplant, goat cheese, cubed avocado, and red peppers. Shakshuka is a versatile and satisfying meal to enhance weight loss and blood sugar control.
Benefits of Eggs for Weight Loss
Eggs have an undeserved bad rap for their cholesterol content. The cholesterol in eggs regulates, not inflates, the two types of the cholesterol in the body. In addition, they are high in protein and have a complete amino acid profile.
Eggs have a significant role in a protein-rich diet and are consumed by athletes and those who exercise on a regular basis. However, besides for the protein content, eggs also are beneficial for weight loss because of lutein. You may have heard about lutein and how it improves eye and skin health, but it also affects one’s physical activity level.
With eggs, the lutein and filling protein content create an impactful weightless aid. You’ll feel satisfied and less likely to overeat over the following 36 hours after consumption.
Other benefits of eggs include:
- Reduces risk of heart disease
- Prevents metabolic syndrome
- Improves eye health
- Maintains liver function and brain health
- Clears acne
- Keeps skin healthy (1)
Benefits of Cinnamon for Blood Sugar Control
Scientists have researched the “insulin-effects” effects of cinnamon, and a recent study in Diabetic Medicine proved this traditional spice to be a powerful fighter against diabetes by impacting blood sugar and glucose control.
For instance, one-half a teaspoon of cinnamon a day reduces blood sugar levels, triglycerides, LDL (bad) cholesterol, and overall cholesterol levels in those with diabetes type 2. Another study has shows cinnamon increases glucose metabolism by about twenty times which improves ones ability to regulate blood sugar.
Cinnamon slows the emptying of the stomach, reducing any sharp rises in blood sugar after meals, and improves the effectiveness, or sensitivity, of insulin.
Other health benefits of cinnamon include:
- High in antioxidants
- Supports digestive function
- Relieves congestion
- Reduces muscle and joint pain and stiffness
- Stimulates circulation
- Prevents UTIs, tooth decay, and gum disease
- Relieves menstrual cramps (2)
Cooking these two ingredients together create a powerhouse of health benefits and is exotically delicious. If you love cinnamon and spice, this is the recipe for you.
- 2 tablespoon grapeseed oil
- 1 onion, diced
- 2 minced garlic cloves
- 1 28-ounce can diced tomatoes
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 1/2 teaspoon dried basil
- salt and pepper to taste
- 7-8 eggs
- Heat the oil in a large saucepan and sauté the onion and garlic for 10 minutes.
- Add the can of tomatoes with the spices.
- Stir, cover, and simmer for 15 minutes.
- One at a time, crack the eggs into the sauce.
- Cover and simmer for 25 minutes until the whites are cooked by the yolks are still runny.
- Serve immediately with toasted gluten-free bread.
- Dr. Axe. The Heart-Healthy, Disease-Preventing Health Benefits of Eggs. https://draxe.com/health-benefits-of-eggs/ Accessed: April 6, 2017.
- Dr. Mercola. Half a Teaspoon of This Each Day Can Optimize Cholesterol Levels… http://articles.mercola.com/sites/articles/archive/2010/10/12/more-evidence-cinnamon-helps-control-blood-sugar.aspx Published: October 12, 2010. Accessed: April 6, 2017.
- Susannah Chen. For Something Different, Try Cinnamon-Spiced Eggs. https://www.popsugar.com/food/Baked-Eggs-Spiced-Tomato-Sauce-21475170. Published: January 24, 2012. Accessed: April 6, 2017.
A quick note from our founders
Going "Keto" has helped so many of our friends drop weight and keep it off.
And it's the perfect time to try it because right now you can get a free copy of a brand new cookbook called The Wicked Good Ketogenic Diet Cookbook
This cookbook is jampacked with 148 delicious ketogenic recipes that will help you burn fat like crazy. Even stubborn belly and thigh fat won't stand a chance because your body will have NO CHOICE but to burn that fat for fuel!
If you've struggled to get rid of stubborn fat, you owe it to yourself to test-drive the keto diet and see how effective it really is. It’ll be easy once you have this free cookbook…