If you’re a little tired of drinking the same kind of coffee every day, it’s time to spice it up and put the many benefits of cinnamon to use. Before you rush into making this powerful coffee, be sure to use “true” or Ceylon cinnamon and not cassia cinnamon which has be shown to be toxic in high levels. Unlike cassia cinnamon, Ceylon cinnamon can get rid of the oxidants and the inflammatory agents in your body and it can also lower your blood sugar.
Lowers Blood Sugar
Studies have shown that Ceylon cinnamon can benefit patients with diabetes. An article reviewed 16 studies, both in vitro and in vivo but no human studies, that found benefits associated with Ceylon cinnamon consumption. (2)
In vitro studies found that one of the benefits of cinnamon is that it reduces the absorption of glucose by the intestines and it stimulates the release of insulin, the metabolism of glucose and its transportation into the muscles for extra energy, and the synthesis of glycogen which stores energy in your body.
Animal studies found that it reduces fasting blood glucose, LDL cholesterol, and glycated haemoglobin, and increases HDL cholesterol and the circulation of insulin. Cinnamon also improves the metabolic dysfunctions that are caused by insulin resistance and may benefit the nerves and kidneys of diabetes patients.
Helps Fight Inflammation
Another article that reviewed in vitro and in vivo studies on humans and animals shows that Ceylon cinnamon has properties that fight inflammation and chronic inflammation. (3) One of those studies found that cinnamon extracts tend to increase the levels of Tristetraprolin, a protein that binds to mRNA molecules, which cause inflammation. By binding to those molecules, Tristetraprolin destabilizes them and inhibits their inflammatory effects. (1)
Inhibits Oxidative Stress
The same review article also mentions studies that found antioxidant properties in cinnamon. (3) A study divided 54 people into 3 groups and assigned one drink to each group: water, regular tea, or cinnamon tea. (4) The researchers took blood samples before and after 2 weeks and measured lipid peroxidation levels and antioxidant strength. Cinnamon tea demonstrated stronger antioxidant properties than regular tea and water and it also decreased lipid peroxidation, which is the oxidation of lipids during which free radicals remove lipids from cells and cause cell damage.
A Spiced Coffee To Get You Through An Entire Week
This recipe was republished with permission from Hungryforchange.tv.
Serves: 1 Pitcher for the week
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1/2 teaspoon cardamom
- 4 cups coffee (your favorite roast) or herbal coffee
- 1 cup vanilla hemp protein powder
- 10 dates
- 2 cups coconut milk
- Brew coffee with spices.
- Blend coffee, coconut milk, dates and hemp powder in a high speed blender until smooth.
- Enjoy each morning to wake you up, energize you and keep you feeling satisfied, without the crash.
Here are a few more fun coffee recipes:
If you’re feeling inspired, try these 3 recipes for energy, detoxing and digestion! What’s Your Go-To ‘Pick Me Up’ Recipe?
- Drinking Coffee Can Be Good Or Toxic For You: here’s how to tell by using your DNA
- 3 Ways You Didn’t Know You Could Use Cinnamon as Medicine
- Study: 3g of Cinnamon the Proper Daily Dosage for Maximum Benefits
(1) Cao, H., Urban, J. F., & Anderson, R. A. (2008). Cinnamon polyphenol extract affects immune responses by regulating anti- and proinflammatory and glucose transporter gene expression in mouse macrophages. Journal of Nutrition, 138(5), 833-840.
(2) Ranasinghe, P., Jayawardana, R., Galappaththy, P., Constantine, G. R., de Vas Gunawardana, N., & Katulanda, P. (2012). Efficacy and safety of ‘true’ cinnamon (Cinnamomum zeylanicum) as a pharmaceutical agent in diabetes: a systematic review and meta-analysis. Diabetic Medicine, 29(12), 1480–1492.
(3) Ranasinghe, P., Pigera, S., Premakumara, G. A. S., Galappaththy, P., Constantine, G. R., & Katulanda, P. (2013). Medicinal properties of ‘true’ cinnamon (Cinnamomum zeylanicum): a systematic review. BMC Complementary and Alternative Medicine, 13(275).
(4) Ranjbar, A., Ghasmeinezhad, S., Zamani, H., Malekirad, A. A., Baiaty, A., . . . Abdollahi, M. (2006). Antioxidative stress potential of Cinnamomum zeylanicum in humans: a comparative cross-sectional clinical study. Therapy, 3(1), 113-117.
Lose 11 pounds in 22 days?
Is it REALLY possible to lose 11 lbs. of fat in 22 days? Actually yes… BUT only when you’re a level 4 fat burner. Unfortunately, most people are stuck as level 1 fat burners. So, how do you become a level 4 fat burner to lose up to 11 lbs. in 22 days? Simply eat these foods daily:Lose up to 11 lbs. in 22 days by eating these foods daily
(upgrades you to level 4 fat burning status)