The first time I’d heard about adding oil and fat to coffee, I’m sure the look on my face was a mix between confusion and disgust.
I mean, it’s not every day that you come across a drink containing coconut oil and butter! Especially in a society where we’re desperately trying to remove fat and calories from everything we consume. For me, this concept took some getting used to.
Coconut Oil and How To Include It In Your Coffee
Not that long ago, I used to be one of those consumers.
I’d analyze calories without even glancing at the ingredients, and buy non-fat, French Vanilla coffee creamer, oblivious to the fact that palm-oil was the third ingredient, because at the time, being skinny was the priority, and that meant ditching fatty and high-calorie foods.
This video explains why avoiding calories just doesn’t work.
Now that I’m “older and wiser,” and my priorities have shifted from “must be skinny” to “must to healthy,” I know that adding fat to your diet is not going to make you fat. Coconut oil, in particular, actually boosts your metabolism and helps burn calories!
Coconut Oil, unlike most oil, contains medium-chain fatty acids, instead of long-chain fatty acids (2). Medium chain fatty acids are metabolized differently than long-chain, which leads to a beneficial boost in metabolism (3). In this study, 1 to 2 tablespoons of medium chain fats (eg. coconut oil) per day increased energy expenditure by 5% — this totals to 120 calories per day.
It doesn’t make your coffee greasy or coconut-y as one might think. Instead, this coconut oil coffee creamer will provide you with a rich and creamy coffee and flavored with cinnamon and vanilla. No palm-oil, No preservatives, and No artificial sweeteners!
Get your Free copy of The Wicked Good Ketogenic Diet Cookbook
This free cookbook is jampacked with 148 delicious ketogenic recipes that will help you burn fat like crazy!
Pair this coffee with a nutritious breakfast and you’ve set yourself up for a pretty great day!
More Reasons I Love My Coconut Oil Coffee Creamer
- Unlike adding cold milk or cream, coconut oil creamer doesn’t cool down my hot cup of coffee.
- It doesn’t dilute the flavor. I like my coffee strong, and milk and cream, especially non-dairy milk, can water it down.
- Coconut oil is always on-hand, whereas dairy creamers expire and you’re sometimes stuck drinking black coffee, which just isn’t my thing.
- I feel alert and energized for longer than I would with just coffee alone.
This is not Bulletproof® Coffee, which you may have read about, too.
What is Bulletproof® Coffee?
Bulletproof® coffee contains 1-2 tablespoons grass-fed butter, 1-2 tablespoons of Brain Octane or XCT oil (these are 18x and 6x stronger than coconut oil), and 1-2 cups of coffee – all blended in a blender.
Grass-fed butter (also known as grass-fed ghee), gives this coffee a delicious buttery taste but it’s sugar-free, gluten-free and free of GMOs. Grass-fed butter is extremely good for you, adding it to your diet raises good cholesterol levels lowering your risk of heart disease. This 100% pure butterfat from grass-fed cows is also a rich source of Vitamin K2, which plays an essential role in bone health. Regularly consuming Vitamin K2 greatly reduces your risk of developing osteoporosis (4).
Brain Octane is another key player in Bulletproof® coffee. Brain Octane is distilled from coconut oil. That means it contains lauric acid, which has antiviral, antibacterial and antifungal properties. Brain Octane provides you with mental and physical energy, helping your body burn fat and boosting cognitive performance. Adding it to your daily routine will give you a quick burst of energy to get you through the day.
Although I now know that fat is good for you, consuming this quantity of fat should be done in moderation. As a rule of thumb, it’s important to take the overall fat content into consideration for your daily intake.
How to Make Coconut Oil Coffee Creamer
- 3/4 cup coconut oil, organic (soft but not melted)
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon powder, organic
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 1 tablespoon cocoa powder, organic (optional)
- Stevia, or up to 1/2 cup raw honey (optional)
- Combine all of the ingredients in a bowl and stir or whisk together until they’re well combined.
- Store in a glass jar with a sealed lid.
How to Use Coconut Oil Coffee Creamer
- Brew your favorite (fair-trade, organic) cup of coffee (about 2 cups).
- Add 1-2 tablespoons of coconut oil coffee creamer to your hot coffee.
- At this point, you can also add a teaspoon of grass-fed butter, which I like to do if I have it on hand. This is totally optional and isn’t part of the creamer concoction, but it will enhance the creaminess and flavor!
- Using a blender or mini bullet blender, blend the coffee + creamer on high for about 5 seconds.
- Pour into your special mug and enjoy
This article was republished with permission from modernhippiehousewife.com.
If you’re ever feeling pressed for time, The Hearty Soul Editorial team would like to suggest Bulletproof® Coffee as a tasty and nutritious alternative.
A quick note from our founders
Have you been curious about the Ketogenic Diet? You're not alone!
Going "Keto" has helped so many of our friends drop weight and keep it off.
And it's the perfect time to try it because right now you can get a free copy of a brand new cookbook called
This cookbook is jampacked with 148 delicious ketogenic recipes that will help you burn fat like crazy. Even stubborn belly and thigh fat won't stand a chance because your body will have NO CHOICE but to burn that fat for fuel!
If you've struggled to get rid of stubborn fat, you owe it to yourself to test-drive the keto diet and see how effective it really is. It’ll be easy once you have this free cookbook...
HURRY, this FREE offer won’t last long!