Fluoride is a chemical element that is touted by dentists and other health professionals as something that protects our teeth from plaque and promotes bone formation. Fluoride is held to such a high standard, in fact, that it is even added to our public drinking water to supposedly help further prevent tooth decay.
All of this goes on in spite of the mounting evidence that fluoride can negatively effect our brains, hormones and teeth. Many of these health professionals also ignore the fact that there are a variety of natural cures for tooth decay that are readily available and don’t cause all of the negative side effects that fluoride does.
What Makes Fluoride Dangerous?
Despite the fact that fluoride is used for the purposes of protecting our teeth and bones, these are also the parts of our body that fluoride is most likely to damage. Some of the most common adverse effects caused by fluoride is severe dental fluorosis and crippling skeletal fluorosis.
Dental fluorosis is when erosion and staining of the teeth occurs due to overexposure to fluoride. It’s most common cause is constant exposure to fluoride under the age of 8, as this is when most permanent teeth are being formed. Staining caused by fluorosis can range from a few small specks and spots on the teeth to opaque stains that cover up to 50% of tooth enamel surface. Severe fluorosis can also cause pitting of the teeth.
Skeletal fluorosis is generally considered a more serious condition than dental fluorosis and it resembles many commonly known bone and joint diseases. It also shares many of the same symptoms, including joint pain, joint stiffness and gastric distress. It’s cause, however, is the same as dental fluorosis and it is simply an overexposure to fluoride.
Other ways fluoride has been shown to negatively impact our health include causing damage to the tissue in our brains and thyroid glands.
Coconut Oil as a Fluoride Alternative
Among one of coconut oil’s uses includes being a plaque remover. According to a study conducted by the Nigerian Medical Journal, coconut oil was effective at reducing the formation of plaque and gingivitis caused by plaque build up. The best thing about this study is that, not only did researchers find that coconut oil was effective at getting rid of plaque but it also produced little to no side effects, making it a safe and effective replacement for fluoride and a natural remedy for tooth decay.
During the study that was conducted on coconut oil‘s plaque removing capabilities, subjects who found success with it used a technique called “oil pulling”. This technique is an oral therapy that was developed in Ayurvedic medicine around 3000 years ago, and ,summarized, it is just swishing a tablespoon of coconut oil around in your mouth for 20 minutes. Although it seems fairly simple, here are some tips on how to perform this technique properly and how to get the most benefits out of it.
- Start off swishing for only 5 or 10 minutes. Although most people who recommend oil pulling say to do it for 20 minutes, in reality that is a very long time and your jaw muscles will probably get worn out before then. Start off with 5 minutes and work your way up, and keep in mind that the longer you swish the more you are cleaning your teeth
- Don’t swish the oil vigorously in your mouth. This will tire out your jaw muscles even faster and will also not allow you to get the full cleaning benefits of the coconut oil. Gently swish the oil in your mouth so that it reaches every part of it and tilt your head towards different angles to assist in this.
- Try sucking the oil through your teeth (similar to the action of kissing your teeth) to make sure it is cleaning in between your teeth as well as the surface.
- Make sure you are using the right amount of oil. If you find that it is hard to keep from swallowing or spitting the oil than you are probably using too much.
It is also important to remember that this is not a substitute for brushing your teeth, and that these two methods should be used in conjunction in order for you to have the cleanest teeth possible. Try it out and let us know how coconut oil pulling helped keep your teeth clean!
A Special Message From Our Founders
Over the past few years of working with health experts all over the world, there’s one major insight we’ve learned.
Most health problems can often be resolved with a good diet, exercise and a few powerful superfoods. In fact, we’ve gone through hundreds of scientific papers and ‘superfood’ claims and only selected the top 5% that are:
- Backed by scientific research
- Simple to use
We then put this valuable information into the Superfood as Medicine Guide: a 100+ page guide on the 7 most powerful superfoods available, including:
- Exact dosages for every health ailment
- DIY recipes to create your own products
- Simple recipes
This offer is only available until December 31st, 2017. Make sure to grab your copy before the offer runs out.