This article is shared with permission from our friends at Wellness Mama.
Hiding under the bed….
That was my solution when I was supposed to take medicine when I was sick as a kid. I didn’t like the taste and my poor parents would have to chase me down to get me to take it. Fast forward a lot of years (more than I’d like to admit) and it is a much different story when I have to get my kids to take remedies when they are sick.
They actually love it, and beg for it, and wish they could take it all the time!
Especially when it is Elderberry Syrup!
A New Take on Elderberry
Recently, I was making two of my kids’ favorite things on the same day: elderberry syrup and homemade marshmallows. I had some extra elderberry liquid from making the elderberry syrup and had a great idea: elderberry marshmallows.
The result was a light purple, delicious and immune-boosting treat that my kids love!
Can you eat chocolate on the Keto diet? Good news!
Download our free report today for instant access to 28 recipes for making delicious chocolate treats — all 100% Keto approved.
If you aren’t familiar with elderberries or can’t imagine why you’d want to make marshmallows with them, here are some of the benefits:
- Popular cold and flu remedy
- Many people use in cold months to ward off illnesses
- Helps lessen coughs, sore throats and runny noses
- Natural source of antioxidants and vitamins
- Kids love it!
Where to get ingredients:
This recipe only requires a few basic ingredients…
The only unusual ingredient you need to make these is elderberries. I personally buy organic elderberries from a trusted source (here are the ones I use).
In some areas, you can even grow or wildcraft your own elderberries. Just make sure to only use the berries and to remove even tiny pieces of the stems and leaves, as these are not beneficial and can be toxic if eaten.
You’ll also need gelatin to help the marshmallows reach the right texture. I use a pasture raised high quality gelatin. For this recipe, you will need actual gelatin (not collagen powder) for its ability to “gel.” I get it here – it is the one called “beef gelatin” in the green can.
How to Make Elderberry Marshmallows
Many people don’t realize that it is super-easy to make marshmallows. They won’t be the artificially stiff and sickeningly sweet ones you will find at the store, but they will be better in my opinion.
The only ingredients needed are water, gelatin, honey/syrup and in this case, elderberries and optional spices.
- Bring the dried elderberries, spices (if using) and the 2 cups of water to a boil in a small pan. Simmer for 5-10 minutes.
- Strain out the elderberries and spices and measure out 1 cup of the resulting liquid.
- Put ½ cup of the liquid in a mixer bowl (or large bowl if using a hand mixer) and add the 4 tablespoons (1/4 cup) gelatin powder. Mix lightly to incorporate and set aside.
- Combine the remaining ½ cup of liquid and the 1 cup of honey or maple syrup in a saucepan. Slowly bring the water and honey mixture to a boil. If you have a kitchen thermometer, you want it to reach at least 240 degrees. If not, just keep boiling, stirring constantly for about 5 minutes. Remove from heat.
- Slowly start pouring the honey/water mixture into the bowl with the gelatin mix (which will be hardened by now).
- Turn on the mixer or hand mixer and keep on medium as the honey mixture is added.
- When honey mix is added, turn the mixer to high and blend with the mixer for another 10-15 minutes or until it forms a stiff cream the consistency of marshmallow cream (it should form gentle peaks).
- Grease a 9×13 inch baking dish with coconut oil, or line with parchment paper, leaving some on the sides to be able to pull up.
- When marshmallows are whipped, pour into the lined/greased dish and smooth evenly.
- Let sit at least 4 hours (overnight is better).
- Flip on to a cutting board and cut with a well oiled pizza cutter or knife. Dust with cinnamon powder and/or coconut sugar if desired to keep from being sticky.
- Store in an airtight container but not in the refrigerator.
A Special Message From Our Founders
Over the past few years of working with health experts all over the world, there’s one major insight we’ve learned.
Most health problems can often be resolved with a good diet, exercise and a few powerful superfoods. In fact, we’ve gone through hundreds of scientific papers and ‘superfood’ claims and only selected the top 5% that are:
- Backed by scientific research
- Simple to use
We then put this valuable information into the Superfood as Medicine Guide: a 100+ page guide on the 7 most powerful superfoods available, including:
- Exact dosages for every health ailment
- DIY recipes to create your own products
- Simple recipes
Grab your copy before the offer runs out!