This article is shared with permission from our friends at PaleoHacks.
This no-churn ube (purple sweet potato) ice cream has only two ingredients – antioxidant-rich purple yams and silky coconut cream!
Ube (pronounced oo-bae) is a common tuber in Asian countries and widely used to color cakes and ice cream. Not to be confused with purple potatoes, the ube is actually less starchy than a sweet potato and rich in antioxidants, potassium, and vitamin C. Because ube has lots of natural sugar, this ice cream doesn’t require any added sweetener!
It may be difficult to track down one of these jewel-toned tubers, and I recommend that you try searching for ube at an Asian grocery store. The variety I found has white skin with a purple center, but there are also brown and purple skinned varieties available.
Start by peeling the purple sweet potato and boiling it until very soft. While the ube cooks, scoop the coconut cream from the cans and reserve a cup of the liquid from one of the cans. Coconut cream gets cold when frozen but not icy enough to have an ice cream texture, so adding 1 cup of coconut milk liquid will give the ice cream its creamy consistency.
Get your Free copy of The Wicked Good Ketogenic Diet Cookbook
This free cookbook is jampacked with 148 delicious ketogenic recipes that will help you burn fat like crazy!GET YOUR FREE COOKBOOK!
Next, combine the coconut cream (including the reserved liquid) and boiled ube in a food processor and blend until smooth. No need to churn this ice cream – any freezer-safe container will do (P.S. – a loaf pan works great!). Freeze the ice cream for 3 hours, stirring every 30 minutes to keep the consistency even.
When ready to serve (the sooner the better!), thaw the ice cream for 10 minutes before scooping. Then get ready to wow your friends with the dreamy color of this confection!
Ube (Purple Sweet Potato) Ice Cream
This no-churn ube ice cream has only two ingredients – antioxidant-rich purple sweet potatoes and silky coconut cream!
Recipe by: Dina Hassan
Total Time: 3 Hours and 25 Minutes
Preparation time: 5 Minutes
Cook Time: 20 Minutes
- Small saucepan
- Food processor
- Freezer-safe pan
- Plastic wrap or aluminum foil
- 1 cup purple yam, cubed and peeled
- 4 cans coconut cream (will be using 3 cups of the thick coconut cream paste + 1 cup of the liquid)
- In a small saucepan, boil purple yam in 4 cups water over medium heat for 20-25 minutes, or until soft. Remove yam and let cool for 10 minutes.
- While yams cook, remove the coconut cream from the top of each can of coconut milk (3 cups), reserving the liquid from one of the cans (1 cup).
- Combine cooked yam, coconut cream and coconut cream liquid in a food processor and blend until smooth and creamy, about 3 minutes. Stop every so often to scrape sides with a wooden spoon.
- Pour mixture into a freezer-safe pan and cover with plastic wrap or aluminum foil. Freeze for 3 hours, stirring every 30 minutes. Thaw 10 minutes before scooping.
A quick note from our founders
Have you been curious about the Ketogenic Diet? You're not alone!
Going "Keto" has helped so many of our friends drop weight and keep it off.
And it's the perfect time to try it because right now you can get a free copy of a brand new cookbook called The Wicked Good Ketogenic Diet Cookbook
This cookbook is jampacked with 148 delicious ketogenic recipes that will help you burn fat like crazy. Even stubborn belly and thigh fat won't stand a chance because your body will have NO CHOICE but to burn that fat for fuel!
If you've struggled to get rid of stubborn fat, you owe it to yourself to test-drive the keto diet and see how effective it really is. It’ll be easy once you have this free cookbook...
HURRY, this FREE offer won’t last long!