This article is shared with permission from our friends at paleohacks.com .
Transform ordinary tomatoes into sweet, crispy, bite-sized tomato chips that are full of antioxidants and bursting with rustic flavor. No dehydrator is needed for this oven-baked recipe.
If you love the flavor of sun-dried or oven-roasted tomatoes, you’ll love these oven-dried tomato chips. Unlike, sodium-laden potato chips, tomatoes are extremely beneficial to your health. An excellent source of antioxidants, this bright red vegetable neutralizes harmful free radicals and in turn wards off the development of cancer . Moreover, eating tomatoes aids with digestion supports eye and skin health, and may even help with depression .
Baked at a low temperature to remove liquid, these tomato chips are delicious by themselves, served alongside salad or pasta, or even as a topping on pizza.
Slices of plum tomatoes are gently tossed in a little bit of olive oil, sea salt, and pepper. To keep it Paleo, the slices are spread onto a baking sheet and sprinkled with nutritional yeast. Nutritional yeast has a cheesy flavor, making it a perfect substitute for grated cheese. If this is your first time using nutritional yeast and are not sure where to get it and which brand to buy, we suggest checking out this brand for a quality product!
Finally, top with freshly chopped basil. For an even more rustic Italian flavor, you can also experiment with dried thyme, rosemary, and oregano. Place your tomatoes in the oven at 250 degrees, and try to forget about them for 4 hours. Go do something to escape the delicious aroma of slow-roasted tomatoes permeating throughout your house. Otherwise, you’ll want to take them out of the oven and devour them right then and there. But don’t; it’s worth the wait!
After 4 hours, check the tomatoes, but remember that oven times vary. After 4 hours, my tomatoes were just beginning to wrinkle around the edges, but they were still too juicy. So I left them in for an additional 4 hours. Once removed from the oven, the tomatoes were chewy and sturdy with some crispy parts. Let them cool to room temperature, during which they’ll shrivel up a little more. Next, you can jar them or munch away.
Oven-Baked Tomato Chips
Can you eat chocolate on the Keto diet? Good news!
Download our free report today for instant access to 28 recipes for making delicious chocolate treats — all 100% Keto approved.
Prep Time: 10 minutes
Cook Time: 8 hours
- 2 lbs plum tomatoes (sliced to ½” thickness)
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 tablespoons fresh basil (finely chopped)
- 2 teaspoons nutritional yeast
- Sea salt and black pepper to taste
- Preheat oven to 250 degrees F, and line a baking sheet with parchment paper. In a large bowl, combine tomatoes and olive oil. Season with sea salt and black pepper. Gently toss to coat.
- Place tomato slices on parchment paper. Sprinkle with nutritional yeast and chopped basil.
- Bake for 6-8 hours. Since oven times may vary, check your tomatoes after 4 hours. If you want a juicier tomato, remove from oven after 6 hours. If you like a chewier tomato, bake the full 8 hours. Allow tomatoes to cool for about 2 hours. Store in an airtight container.
Another smart snacking choice
1. Ashley, J. (n.d.). Oven-Baked Tomato Chips. Retrieved September 13, 2016 from http://blog.paleohacks.com/tomato-chips/
2. Ware, M. (2016, February 12). Tomatoes: Health Benefits, Facts, Research. Retrieved September 14, 2016 from http://www.medicalnewstoday.com/articles/273031.php
A Special Message From Our Founders
Over the past few years of working with health experts all over the world, there’s one major insight we’ve learned.
Most health problems can often be resolved with a good diet, exercise and a few powerful superfoods. In fact, we’ve gone through hundreds of scientific papers and ‘superfood’ claims and only selected the top 5% that are:
- Backed by scientific research
- Simple to use
We then put this valuable information into the Superfood as Medicine Guide: a 100+ page guide on the 7 most powerful superfoods available, including:
- Exact dosages for every health ailment
- DIY recipes to create your own products
- Simple recipes
Grab your copy before the offer runs out!