Have you ever sat at home on the couch, struglling with your sugar craving and just wishing there was a way that candy could be healthy?
I do. Probably once a week.
And then I remember: I have candy. I have a sweet, healthy(ish) version of candy to fix my sugar cravings, but that also helps with gut bacteria, eases inflammation, boosts my overall well-being and battles colon cancer. Wanna know what it is?
Crystallized ginger is sliced or cubed ginger with a slightly sugary coating. Ginger is such a potent healer, that a little sweetener isn’t going to harm much at all.
Crystallizing ginger breaks down some of the toughness of ginger, making it easier to chew. You can use it to ease nausea, upset stomach, gas, and fight motion sickness.
The Ginger Cure.
Ginger can cure so many things:
Nausea: Ginger reduces all symptoms associated with motion sickness including dizziness, nausea, vomiting, and cold sweating. Ginger has been proven (in 1 study) to work more effectively than Dramamine. Ginger’s anti-vomiting action has been shown to be very useful in reducing the nausea and vomiting of pregnancy, even the most severe form.
It reduced nausea and vomiting in 19 of 27 women who used it. Unlike over-the-counter antivomiting drugs, which can cause severe birth defects, ginger is extremely safe, and only a small dose is required.
- Stimulate Appetite: Given ginger’s stomach soothing properties, ginger can calm a stomach and allow those who aren’t well to continue to eat. It’s also been linked to promoting appetite generally.
- Anti Inflammatory Properties: Ginger contains very potent anti-inflammatory compounds called gingerols. These substances, in at least 2 clinical trials, have proven that 75% of arthritis patients and 100% of patients with muscular discomfort experienced relief of pain and/or swelling after taking ginger. At least one reason for ginger’s beneficial effects is the free radical protection – it’s antioxidant properties.
- Colon Cancer: Gingerols, the main active components in ginger and the ones responsible for its distinctive flavor, may also inhibit the growth of human colorectal cancer cells, suggests research presented at the Frontiers in Cancer Prevention Research. Mice given gingerols were a little more than 3x less likely to develop tumours than the mice in the control group.
- Ovarian Cancer: Gingerols, the active phytonutrients in ginger, kill ovarian cancer cells by inducing apoptosis (programmed cell death) and autophagocytosis (self-digestion). Dr Rebecca Lui and her colleagues from the University of Michigan believe that ginger may be of special benefit for ovarian cancer patients because cancer cells exposed to ginger do not become resistant to its cancer-destroying effects.
- Immune Boost: Ginger can help promote healthy sweating. German researchers have recently found that sweat contains a potent germ-fighting agent that may help fight off infections. Ginger can also raise your body temperature briefly. As a rising temperature can help burn out any bacteria living in your body, this can also help beat illness.
Homemade Ginger Candy Recipe
- One pound of fresh ginger root
- 2 1/2 cups organic coconut sugar
- 1/2 cup extra coconut sugar
- 1/3 cups water
- Peel the ginger. Use a spoon so you don’t waste more than you need too.
- Slice the ginger horizontally. So that it look like flat discs. Try an keep the slices under an inch wide (so if the ginger root is thicker at one end, cut it down so everything is about the same width and thickness. Or you chop it into cubes about the same size. Whatever you like.
- Put 2 1/2 cups of coconut sugar in a pan. Put in your ginger. Put in your water. Stir to thoroughly combine. Simmer for 1-2 hours, stirring occasionally.
- Wait for the ginger slices to become translucent and for the sugar to begin crystallizing around the edge of your pot.
- Using a slotted spoon, pull out the ginger slices and lay them in a tray covered in parchment paper.
- Toss with the remaining coconut sugar and let cool for a few hours. Store.
- TIP: Keep the ginger syrup for homemade ginger ale or to add to tea.
Anything else you want to read about? Let us know in the comments!
Lose 11 pounds in 22 days?
Is it REALLY possible to lose 11 lbs. of fat in 22 days? Actually yes… BUT only when you’re a level 4 fat burner. Unfortunately, most people are stuck as level 1 fat burners. So, how do you become a level 4 fat burner to lose up to 11 lbs. in 22 days? Simply eat these foods daily:Lose up to 11 lbs. in 22 days by eating these foods daily
(upgrades you to level 4 fat burning status)