This article is shared with permission from our friends at blog.paleohacks.com.
This delectable dessert boasts a creamy texture with a rich sweetness and a hint of classic peppermint. The best part? No baking required!
The first time I tried a slice of cheesecake, it was love at first bite. These days, I’ve been experimenting with healthier cheese alternatives as there are so many issues that have risen with regular cheesecake. The high dairy content often leads to inflammation, digestive issues and fatigue.
So instead of cheese, I started using cashews to get that same richness (without the cream cheese and sour cream). It’s surprisingly easy to make, too. The hardest part is remembering to put the cashews in a bowl of water the night before.
If you forget to soak your cashews the night before (like I often do), you can put them in a bowl and pour boiling water over them. Afterward, let it sit for thirty minutes and drain. They won’t be quite as soft as overnight-soaked cashews, but they’ll still work relatively well.
The crust packs coconut chips for a slight crunchiness and tastes like chocolate chip cookie dough. [Try this recipe next: Quick and Easy CHICKPEA Chocolate Chip Cookie Dough Bites (Gluten-free and delicious!)] The chocolate filling (woo, double chocolate!) is ultra-creamy and has just the right amount of peppermint flavor.
Tip: If you want perfect slices, run a sharp knife under hot water. The hot knife will cut through the filling like butter. This is a rich dessert, and just a small sliver will be satisfying. This Paleo Peppermint Chocolate Cheesecake will easily serve 10-12 people. Serve it with black tea or black coffee as a nice balance to the sweet richness.
Peppermint Chocolate Cheesecake
by Heather Resler
- 1-1/2 cups unsweetened coconut chips, for crust
- 1/2 cup coconut flour, for crust
- 3 T cocoa powder, for crust
- 1/2 cup coconut oil, melted, for crust
- 1/3 cup honey, for crust
- 3 cups raw cashews, soaked overnight, for filling
- 1 cup coconut cream, for filling
- 1/2 cup coconut oil, melted, for filling
- 1/2 cup honey, for filling
- 1/2 cup cocoa powder, for filling
- 1 t peppermint extract, for filling
- Chocolate shavings, optional, for garnish
Claim Your FREE Copy of The Easy 5-Ingredient Ketogenic Diet Cookbook Now!
*Editor’s note: We recommend always opting for raw honey to get the most nutrients.
1. Start by making the crust: In a mixing bowl, combine the coconut chips, coconut flour, 1/2 cup coconut oil, 3 tablespoons cocoa powder, and 1/3 cup honey. Mix well. Press into a springform pan to form a crust. Place in the freezer while you make the filling.
2. Make the filling: Combine the cashews, coconut cream, and coconut oil in a food processor. Process until smooth.
3. Add the honey, cocoa powder, and peppermint extract. Process until smooth.
4. Spread evenly in the crust.
5. Freeze for about 20 minutes, or until set.
6. Top with chocolate shavings if desired.
7. Slice and enjoy! Store leftovers in an airtight container in the refrigerator.
A quick note from our founders
Claim Your FREE Copy of
Discover 131 delicious fat-shredding keto recipes inside this special edition of this New York Times bestseller… plus more. And today we’re GIVING it away 100% FREE!