Ohhh the magic of avocados never seems to end. I’ve used avocado in my hair, on my face, in puddings, ice creams and salad dressings. And now….in a delicious chocolate cake!! Avocados are featured in both the cake batter AND they also make up the base for this chocolate frosting. This entire recipe is dairy-free, gluten-free and refined sugar-free but you’d NEVER know. If you want to make it vegan, simply swap the egg for 2 Tablespoons of chia seed gel which will act as a binder.
This cake is moist and has the perfect amount of sweetness – not overpowering, just enough. The crunch from the cacao nibs adds beautiful texture to the smooth, creamy, rich chocolate frosting. Go for high quality cacao powder – not only is it more rich in nutrients like magnesium and iron, it also has much better flavour. Also, make sure your avocados are nice and ripe so they will be soft and blend easily.
Dairy-Free, Chocolate Avocado Cake
Dairy-free, Gluten-free, Vegetarian
Yield: makes one 8″ cake
- raw coconut oil to grease cake pan
- 1.5 cups of almond flour
- 1/4 cup cacao powder
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon sea salt
- 2 Tablespoons avocado oil or coconut oil
- 1/2 ripe avocado, diced
- 1 cup of water
- 1 Tablespoon apple cider vinegar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 Tablespoon maple syrup
- 3/4 cups coconut sugar
- 1 egg
- 1 ripe avocado
- 6 Tablespoons cacao powder
- 6 Tablespoons maple syrup
- pinch sea salt
- dash pure vanilla extract
- extra cacao powder
- cacao nibs
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Using coconut oil, grease and flour one 8” round spring form cake pan. Place the cake pan on a baking sheet.
- In a large bowl, whisk together all dry cake ingredients except sugar.
- Combine avocado and all wet ingredients including sugar together in blender. Blend together just until fully combined.
- Pour wet mixture into dry mixture and mix with spatula until cake batter is smooth.
- Pour batter into pan and bake for 45-60 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean.
- While cake is baking, mix all frosting ingredients together using food processor or blender.
- Let cake cool 15-20 minutes before frosting.
- Using a sieve, dust cacao powder onto cake and sprinkle with cacao nibs.
- Frost and serve!
A quick note from our founders
Going "Keto" has helped so many of our friends drop weight and keep it off.
And it's the perfect time to try it because right now you can get a free copy of a brand new cookbook called The Wicked Good Ketogenic Diet Cookbook
This cookbook is jampacked with 148 delicious ketogenic recipes that will help you burn fat like crazy. Even stubborn belly and thigh fat won't stand a chance because your body will have NO CHOICE but to burn that fat for fuel!
If you've struggled to get rid of stubborn fat, you owe it to yourself to test-drive the keto diet and see how effective it really is. It’ll be easy once you have this free cookbook…