This article is shared with permission from our friends at PaleoHacks.
Sweet, creamy, nutty and just a little bit ooey-gooey, pecan pralines get enrobed in super dark chocolate in these Paleo candies. The best part? They’re made with a handful of simple, wholesome ingredients with no processed junk in sight.
Made with only five main ingredients, you’ll be surprised how easy these guilt-free candies come together. While they’re inspired by the caramel chocolate turtles of your childhood, we nix all the stabilizers, processed sugars, corn syrup and more found in the store-bought version.
Pecans serve as the “sandwich bread” to a simple date caramel; then the whole thing gets drizzled in dark chocolate. We opted for 90 percent, and for a good reason. With a super-sweet date caramel, you need something a little bitter to balance that out. Of course, go with the darkest chocolate you enjoy.
Rather than go through the often-tricky caramel-making process, we opt for a foolproof coconut milk and date-based caramel made in the food processor. It has a good bit more texture than the original stuff, but it’s equally delicious.
It’s also critical that your dates are ripe, soft and somewhat sticky to the touch so that the food processor can handle them. If not, be sure to soak your dates for 10 minutes (and discard the water) before processing them.
Be sure to keep your treats refrigerated. Otherwise, they may end up a (probably still delicious) melted mess on your kitchen counter.
These make a delicious dessert and great homemade gifts. In fact, you can combine them with a few other candy recipes like Paleo Snickers, Milky Ways, and Kit Kats for a Paleo chocolate variety box—make it for the best of friends, or keep it in the house for emergencies.
Dark Chocolate Pecan Pralines Recipe
Recipe by: Courtney Hamilton
Total Time: 55 Mins
Prep Time: 15 Mins
Cook Time: 40 Mins
- 4 oz pecan halves
- 1 lb Medjool dates, pitted (must be ripe and sticky, otherwise, soak 10 minutes)
- ¾ cup coconut milk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 8 oz dark chocolate
- Water, as needed
- In a food processor, combine Medjool dates, coconut milk, and vanilla extract. Process until smooth and creamy, adding water as needed to thin it out. This is your date caramel.
- Build your pecan clusters. Try two pecans on the bottom, a layer of caramel, and one pecan on top.
- Freeze pecan clusters for 20 minutes, until the caramel, is firm.
- Melt chocolate. Drizzle chocolate over the top. Return to freezer for ten minutes until chocolate sets.
Try these delicious recipes next!
- 15 Mouthwatering Recipes That Are Sugar-Free
- Creamy Dairy-Free Cheesecake Bites
- 10 Ways Dates Can Be Used To Replace Sugar
A Special Message From Our Founders
Over the past few years of working with health experts all over the world, there’s one major insight we’ve learned.
Most health problems can often be resolved with a good diet, exercise and a few powerful superfoods. In fact, we’ve gone through hundreds of scientific papers and ‘superfood’ claims and only selected the top 5% that are:
- Backed by scientific research
- Simple to use
We then put this valuable information into the Superfood as Medicine Guide: a 100+ page guide on the 7 most powerful superfoods available, including:
- Exact dosages for every health ailment
- DIY recipes to create your own products
- Simple recipes
This offer is only available until December 31st, 2017. Make sure to grab your copy before the offer runs out.