Even though skin-care companies are required to list their product ingredients on the labels, most people don’t bother to read them. Even if they do, only a couple of the ingredients are actually recognizable. So what’s hiding in those lengthy ingredient lists?
The Problem With Body Wash
Unfortunately, the majority of available body washes contain harmful toxins that can damage your skin, and even expose you to known carcinogens. Toxins don’t need to be eaten to be absorbed by your body; if applied topically (to your skin or hair), they are absorbed directly into your bloodstream.
Body Wash Toxins
While there are many chemicals to be wary of in skin products, these are a few that are especially common despite their danger:
- Petrolatum is considered to be a human carcinogen, and it’s used in many different kinds of hygiene and cosmetic products including body wash. Even products marketed to nourish the skin, like Olay’s Ultra Moisture Shea Butter body wash, is full of petrolatum.
- Butylated hyrdoxytoluene is suspected of being toxic to the respiratory system, immune system, and skin. In fact, product regulators are attempting to phase out the use of this chemical in beauty and skin-care products. For now, though, you’ll still find it on many body-wash label
- DMDM Hydantoin, which is used as a preservative in many soaps and skin-care products, can release formaldehyde into the product it’s added to. Formaldehyde has long been classified as a probable human carcinogen, and it’s also known to lead to short-term health effects like skin irritation and burning in the eyes, nose, and throat.
DIY Body Wash
Of course, the first pro that anyone thinks of when considering homemade body wash is that you have complete control over the ingredients. No more putting yourself at great risk of cancer and skin irritation. Even so, DIY body washes like the one we’ll show you how to make actually come with many other fantastic health benefits that not even the most health-conscious beauty company could match.
Benefits of Lavender Essential Oil
- Promotes regular sleep
- Decreases stress and anxiety
- Treats acne
- Relieves sore muscles
- Improves circulation
Even though we love the smell of lavender for our body wash recipe, you can substitute it with any other nice-smelling essential oil. Each oil will come with its own unique collection of health benefits.
Benefits of Raw Honey
Raw honey is widely used for healing, even in hospitals! Its anti-microbial properties make it an excellent treatment for body acne, and will also quickly soothe and heal any nicks you may have gotten from shaving. Combined with the essential oil (as well as castor and olive oils), honey will naturally soften and moisturize every inch of your skin.
Homemade Body Wash Recipe
What You Need:
– 3 tbsp liquid organic castile soap
– 3 tbsp raw honey
– 1 tbsp castor oil
– 1 tbsp olive oil
– 10 drops essential oil (we use lavender, but you can pick one or a combination of other favorites!)
What to Do:
- Mix all ingredients in a glass with a spoon. Be careful not to make bubbles.
- Transfer into a glass sealed container to be used as you wish!
Overall, this DIY body wash recipe is the safest way to keep your skin nourished and smelling wonderful. And rather than risking exposure to toxins, it brings healing to your body and helps with your mental health! I’d like to see a store bought body wash even try to out-do all that.
A Special Message From Our Founders
Over the past few years of working with health experts all over the world, there’s one major insight we’ve learned.
Most health problems can often be resolved with a good diet, exercise and a few powerful superfoods. In fact, we’ve gone through hundreds of scientific papers and ‘superfood’ claims and only selected the top 5% that are:
- Backed by scientific research
- Simple to use
We then put this valuable information into the Superfood as Medicine Guide: a 100+ page guide on the 7 most powerful superfoods available, including:
- Exact dosages for every health ailment
- DIY recipes to create your own products
- Simple recipes
This offer is only available until December 31st, 2017. Make sure to grab your copy before the offer runs out.