So, school has started. Soon the weather will get cold and you’ll start spending more time indoors. And closing the windows. And preventing fresh air from clearing out your space. Which breeds sickness like the cold and flu. Then spreads it around.
To prevent more of your money heading down the drain (partly on antibiotics, because antibiotics don’t work on viruses, only infections. Cold and flu are both viruses so antibiotics don’t work.) on cough medicine or throat soothers, I’ve decided to share my three favourite ways to help kick your cold and flu symptoms fast.
All three recipes contain high amounts of Vitamin C, which boosts your immune system and reduces inflammation. They all include honey to soothe sore throats, ginger to settle your upset tummy, and all taste wonderful enough that you could get your kids to tke them with absolutely no problem.
Homemade cough syrup. I got sick last year, and when I went to pick some up from the local health food store, I was floored at the prices they charge for the stuff. A bit of experimentation found the perfect combination.
- 2 Tablespoons of Honey
- 1/2 or 1 teaspoon of cayenne pepper (optional)
- 2 Tablespoons of Apple Cider Vinegar
- 1 teaspoon of fresh, grated ginger
- 2 to 4 Tablespoons of water
Mix all of the ingredients together and keep in a dark, cool place. I like the cayenne pepper, but if you can’t handle heat, feel free to leave it out.
Take a tablespoon morning and night. Makes about three days worth. This also makes a great tea addition. Just a tablespoon in a cup of hot water.
Hard Cough Drops
These are awesome. If you can get yourself a little tin to stash these in they’re awesome to carry around. I make them for my mum each year, she leaves them on her desk at work, and people come to get them from her all the time.
- 1 cup Honey
- 1/4 cup Lemon juice
- 2 Teaspoons Ginger (fresh, peeled, grated)
- 2 Tablespoons Coconut Oil
- 1/4 Cup of Powdered vitamin C (optional)
- Glass of ice water
First! Make sure this is the only thing you’re doing while you make these. They’re easy to scorch, and once burnt, are ruined.
- Put all your ingredients into a saucepan (minus the ice water). Heat on medium-high heat.
- When the concoction starts to foam and creep up the sides of the saucepan, remove it from the heat and whisk until the foam goes away.
- Repeat this process until the honey hits 300°F (149°C) on a candy thermometer.
- Remove from heat. Dip a metal spoon into the mix, then put the spoon into the ice water. If the candy turns into a crunchy shell, it’s ready.
- If not, reheat and whisk, and reheat and whisk, then try again.
- Let it cool for maybe ten minutes.
- Pour the mixture into molds (ice cube trays filled up a bit work wonderfully, or candy molds, or even into dollops on parchment paper/aluminum foil).
- Let cool for a few hours.
- Dust in vitamin C powder to keep them from sticking to one another.
Gummy Cough Drops
Not going to lie. These are my favourites on this list. Mostly ’cause I’m five on the inside.
- 2/3 apple juice (or any fruit juice)
- 1/4 cup flavourless gelatin (use high quality gelatin, try Great Lakes, Bernard Jensen, or Bulletproof)
- 1/4 cup of Honey
- 2 Tablespoons of (fresh, peeled, grated) Ginger
- Powdered health supplements of your choice (flavourless) (also optional)
The steps are pretty simple.
- Put your juice, honey, gelatin and ginger into a saucepan. Whisk thoroughly.
- On low heat, heat your mixture until the gelatin dissolves completely, about 5-6 minutes.
- Mix in your supplements
- Pour into molds or glass pan. Let sit for 2-3 hours
An alternative for this recipe that I love most is mint extract instead of ginger and grapefruit juice to replace the apple juice.
A quick note from our founders
Have you been curious about the Ketogenic Diet? You're not alone!
Going "Keto" has helped so many of our friends drop weight and keep it off.
And it's the perfect time to try it because right now you can get a free copy of a brand new cookbook called
This cookbook is jampacked with 148 delicious ketogenic recipes that will help you burn fat like crazy. Even stubborn belly and thigh fat won't stand a chance because your body will have NO CHOICE but to burn that fat for fuel!
If you've struggled to get rid of stubborn fat, you owe it to yourself to test-drive the keto diet and see how effective it really is. It’ll be easy once you have this free cookbook...
HURRY, this FREE offer won’t last long!