I hate getting sick. Therefore I am one of those annoying people who fixate a death stare upon anyone who merely wheezes without covering his mouth. I flinch when the person next to me on the bus inhales sharply as if they are about to sneeze, but instead they sigh, and I am unashamedly relieved. I always seem to be with someone with a cold or allergies, be it a coworker, a family member, or my best friend.
If you cannot relate to these statements, you must have an impermeable immune system, and I envy your laxity. If you are in the same boat as me whenever the flu season rolls around, here is the perfect solution for you!
It’s NOT Pharmaceutical Cough Medicine
Many people begin pounding the cough medicine as soon as they get the sniffles. It is commonly believed that coughing and sneezing are unhealthy symptoms that must be repressed to get better. However, these are tools your body uses to rid itself of viruses and irritants. Even low fevers help kill bacteria and viruses. Taking a cough drug is preventing your body from being able to heal naturally. (1)
Pharmaceutical drugs are made with chemicals with the potential to cause harmful side effects. It’s about time we ditch those pills that can make us sicker and begin with a remedy that heals the root of the problem.
Claim Your FREE Copy of The Easy 5-Ingredient Ketogenic Diet Cookbook Now!
Homemade Ginger Lemon Cough Drops
- 1 cup coconut sugar
- 1/2 cup water
- 1 tbsp freshly squeezed lemon juice
- high source of Vitamin C
- 1 tbsp honey
- natural cough suppressant
- helps soothe sore throats
- 1/2 tsp ground ginger
- maintains the immune system
- anti-inflammatory properties
- helps with pain relief and nausea
- 1/4 tsp ground cloves
- reduce phlegm
- antiseptic properties
- packed with antioxidants
- more ground coconut sugar for dusting
- Add the coconut sugar, water, lemon juice, honey, ginger, and cloves in a saucepan.
- Turn on the high heat and stir it well.
- When it begins to simmer, low the heat.
- Let is simmer for 15-20 minutes, stirring regularly.
- Line a baking pan with parchment paper.
- After the 15-20 minutes, take the pan off the heat and allow it to cool.
- Spoon little dots of the dark syrup on the sheet to shape the drops.
- Let them cool for 20 minutes.
- Sprinkle the ground coconut sugar until they are well-coated. This prevents them from sticking to each other.
You can also melt a few cough drops into a mug of hot water for a tasty flu-fighting tea! (2)
Here is a video that demonstrates how to make this sweet remedy. Dave Hax uses regular sugar for his drops, but coconut sugar is found to be a healthier and equally delicious alternative.
No More Flu Fear
You can also taste these awesome drops when you are not sick for a boost in immunity or anti-inflammation.
There is no need to be on edge and fray your nerves when the cold season comes around. These cough drops will naturally bolster your immune system to fight back.
In this case, vengeance is definitely sweet!
(1) Dr. Mercola. Cough Medicine is Also Worthless for Adults. http://articles.mercola.com/sites/articles/archive/2008/02/12/cough-medicine-is-also-worthless-for-adults.aspx. Published: February 12, 2008. Accessed: October 19, 2016.
(2) Healthy Food House. I’m Never Buying Another Cough Medicine Again… I Wish I Knew This Before! http://www.healthyfoodhouse.com/im-never-buying-another-cough-medicine-wish-knew/ Published: August 23, 2016. Accessed: October 19, 2016.
A quick note from our founders
Claim Your FREE Copy of
Discover 131 delicious fat-shredding keto recipes inside this special edition of this New York Times bestseller… plus more. And today we’re GIVING it away 100% FREE!