This recipe is the creation of Talia Chai, registered holistic nutritionist and clean foods chef. For more dairy-free, gluten-free and refined sugar-free recipes, check out Talia’s cookbook, Clean Eating here. Warning – recipes are designed to make you feel extra fabulous, bursting with energy and give you super glowing skin!
No, you won’t be injecting this shot! This flu “shot” is something you can make any time of year as maintenance, or as soon as you feel any cold or flu symptoms coming on.
This health elixir is very simple to make. Just stir all the ingredients together, add warm water, pour and sip.
Key Ingredients to Boost Your Immune System
Here’s how the all-star ingredients in this shot work their magic:
- The active component of turmeric, curcumin, is known for its antioxidant and anti-inflammatory benefits.
- Lemons are a great source of vitamin C which helps supports the immune system.
- Raw honey can be very soothing for sore throats.
- The World Health Organization (WHO) lists honey as a demulcent, which is a substance that relieves irritation in your mouth or throat by forming a protective film.
- Ginger contains antibacterial properties which can enhance immune function. This is especially handy when you feel like you’re coming down with something!
- Cayenne pepper aids in breaking up and moving mucus out of the body.
Natural “Flu Shot” Recipe
Dairy-free, Gluten-free, Refined Sugar-free, Vegan
Yield: 4 shots
- 1 cup of hot water
- 2 teaspoons of ground turmeric
- Juice form 1 lemon
- 1 Tablespoon raw honey
- 3” knob fresh ginger root, peeled and finely grated (about 1 Tablespoon, grated)
- 3 cracks of black peppercorn
- small pinch cayenne pepper
- a few drops of oregano of oil
- OR 1/2 garlic clove, minced
- Combine all ingredients in a small bowl.
- Let it steep for 3-5minutes.
- Pour into shot glasses and enjoy!
Sebiomo A, et al. Comparative studies of antibacterial effect of some antibiotics and ginger (Zingiber officinale) on two pathogenic bacteria. Micro and Antimicro 2011; 3(1):18-22.
Wongvibulsin, Shannon. “A Guide to Natural Ways to Alleviate Allergy and Sinusitis Symptoms.” Explore Integrative Medicine, UCLA Health, 2014. Accessed 27 Feb. 2017.
A Special Message From Our Founders
Over the past few years of working with health experts all over the world, there’s one major insight we’ve learned.
Most health problems can often be resolved with a good diet, exercise and a few powerful superfoods. In fact, we’ve gone through hundreds of scientific papers and ‘superfood’ claims and only selected the top 5% that are:
- Backed by scientific research
- Simple to use
We then put this valuable information into the Superfood as Medicine Guide: a 100+ page guide on the 7 most powerful superfoods available, including:
- Exact dosages for every health ailment
- DIY recipes to create your own products
- Simple recipes
This offer is only available until December 31st, 2017. Make sure to grab your copy before the offer runs out.