Almost everyone struggling with acne scars and blemished wants to minimize the appearance of these imperfections with the help of concealer. Unfortunately, concealers often contain ingredients that can make acne worse and that are even toxic to your health.
To prevent your acne and scars from getting worse and to protect your health, using a non-toxic concealer can make a big difference. While you could easily purchase such a concealer online and at organic cosmetic stores, making your concealer with ingredients you know are safe is the best way to go.
However, keep in mind that even homemade concealers come with their downsides and you really cannot avoid all potentially irritating ingredients. In case you were wondering how non-toxic DIY concealers are made, keep reading.
Concealers are cosmetic products that hide skin discoloration, blemishes, and scarring. Concealers specifically designed to cover acne and scarring usually contain acne-fighting ingredients in addition to being highly pigmented. However, many also contain toxic ingredients like mineral oil, talc, and perfume.
So, if you were wondering how to get rid of acne for good, you may want to go for natural concealers. Studies also show that there is a link between talc and ovarian cancer. These same concerns apply to perfume and mineral oil in cosmetic products. Other than certain cosmetic ingredients being dangerous for your overall health, they can harm your skin as well.
If you suffer from acne and acne scars, you probably put a lot of effort into finding ways to improve the condition of your skin. You also probably use makeup to hide your imperfections along the way. Unfortunately, using heavy and potentially toxic cosmetic products can make your skin worse, and this is where organic cosmetics come in.
Making Your Own Concealer From Scratch
You’ll find many DIY concealer recipes online, and a lot of them provide good enough coverage while simultaneously nourishing your skin. These concealers are usually made with blending healing oils, beneficial minerals, clay, beeswax, shea butter, and iron oxide pigments.
They are also free of parabens, mineral oil, dyes, and fragrances. If you are concerned about bacteria and fungus contaminating your preservative-free homemade concealer, we assure you that there’s no reason to worry. Since these homemade concealers are oil-based rather than water-based, there’s no chance that bacteria can overgrow in your concealer because bacteria and fungus need water to grow.
However, do store your DIY concealer in a cool and dry place and always apply it using a clean makeup brush.
2 DIY Concealer Recipes
Homemade concealers are made by melting some of the ingredients under low heat to help them bind and adding others. Be careful not to overheat the ingredients as this will ruin their consistency and healing properties of your concealer.
When making a healing concealer, you get to choose from a range of beneficial ingredients. To help you get started, here are two popular recipes:
1. DIY Healing Concealer by Humblebee & Me
Recipe Sourced From Humblebee & Me.
This healing concealer combines the power of rosehip oil and sea buckthorn oil to fight acne and facial wrinkles. Sea buckthorn oil is especially beneficial when fighting acne as studies show that it helps reduce sebum secretion.
Keep in mind that its slightly orange color will affect the shade of your concealer so you may want to use sea buckthorn seed oil instead. The recipe also includes vitamin E to boost skin healing and clay to reduce oiliness.
We suggest using bentonite clay when making your concealer because research found that this type of clay works as a natural antibacterial agent.
- 0.25oz capuacu butter
- 0.14oz beeswax
- 0.17oz cocoa butter
- 0.14oz rosehip oil
- 0.14oz sea buckthorn seed oil
- 0.03oz vitamin E oil
- 1 ¼ teaspoon oil-soluble titanium dioxide
- 0.03oz magnesium stearate
- ½ teaspoon sericite mica
- 1 teaspoon zeolite ultrafine clay
- 2 ¼ teaspoon Multani mitti clay
- Yellow, red, brown, and green iron oxides
- In a medium-sized saucepan, melt the beeswax, butter, oils, and magnesium stearate until well blended.
- Remove from heat, and add in titanium dioxide, mica, and clays.
- Once you’re done with this step, it’s time to carefully mix in the iron oxides to make a concealer that perfectly matches your skin tone.Ideally, the concealer should be a shade or two lighter than your natural skin tone for better coverage.
- If you want a red-canceling concealer, add the green iron oxide. If not, skip the green oxide and consider adding zinc oxide to your concealer to make it lighter and to give additional acne-fighting benefits.
2. Natural Concealer by Wellness Mama
Recipe Sourced From Wellness Mama.
This popular recipe by Wellness Mama will help with both acne, scarring, and premature skin aging. The recipe calls for jojoba and argan oil which are both moisturizing and anti-aging oils that work just as good as anti-aging creams such as Derma Divine and others. The recipe also uses witch hazel oil which is known for its anti-inflammatory benefits.
- 2 teaspoons of argan and jojoba oil
- 1 teaspoon of shea butter
- 1/2 teaspoon emulsifying wax
- 1 tablespoon aloe gel
- 1 teaspoon witch hazel
- 2 tablespoons zinc oxide
- 1/4-1/2 teaspoon cocoa powder
- 1/2 teaspoon clay of choice (if using)
- Melt the first three ingredients in a double boiler until completely blended.
- Once melted, add the aloe gel and witch hazel and whisk to combine.
- Remove from heat and add the zinc oxide and clays. The zinc oxide in this recipe will help with creating the desired consistency and coverage – more zinc oxide makes a thicker paste and gives a greater coverage.
Making your non-toxic concealer is easy, and you also get to achieve the shade you like. The choice of oils, pigments, and clays added to most DIY concealers is endless.
If you already have a favorite natural ingredient to treat acne and scarring, you can add them to your homemade concealer to help treat acne and any other skin issues while also hiding your imperfections. By making your own concealer, you are essentially killing two birds with one stone and also protecting your overall health along the way.
Here are some more beauty tips!
- 7 Natural Ways To Unclog Dirt & Oil From Pores
- Homemade Coconut Oil Lavender Deodorant
- Natural Makeup Remover
Sophie Addison is an enthusiast blogger and writer. She is very passionate about writing general health and fitness. She has posted articles on skincare problems, joint pain treatment, weight loss and woman’s health. Apart from work she likes gardening and listening to music. Connect with her on Facebook, Instagram, and Twitter.
Lose 11 pounds in 22 days?
Is it REALLY possible to lose 11 lbs. of fat in 22 days? Actually yes… BUT only when you’re a level 4 fat burner. Unfortunately, most people are stuck as level 1 fat burners. So, how do you become a level 4 fat burner to lose up to 11 lbs. in 22 days? Simply eat these foods daily: