Turmeric is all the rage these days. Native to Asia, this powerful anti-inflammatory has historically been used for medicinal purposes to treat a variety of conditions, such as the following:
- menstrual issues
- chest pain
Despite its bitter flavor, turmeric has also made its way into the culinary world and is often used in Indian dishes. (However, it can easily be incorporated into various other meals. Click here for some easy recipes using turmeric!) Research has shown that consuming turmeric is extremely beneficial to one’s health. Adding turmeric to your diet can:
- Protect you from cancer
- Improve liver function
- Lower cholesterol
- Protect against neurodegenerative diseases, such as Alzheimer’s
But turmeric is notoriously difficult to absorb.
Even if you take it with fats (like you should be!) you’re still probably getting only part of the effect. You may even be wasting time and money by allowing most of your Turmeric to just pass through your body unabsorbed!
That’s why we found this organic Turmeric Extract that’s specially formulated with fats already found in your cells, making it at least 20 times easier to absorb directly into your body than any other Turmeric supplement!
And today they’re offering you a stellar deal: you can get this super-powered Turmeric Extract shipped right to your door for as much as 33% off!
You can get this awesome extract and this great deal HERE. (Do it ASAP though, they told us they only have a few bottles left and word is spreading FAST, so they might even run out today!)
In addition to the above, turmeric can also be applied topically when mixed with other ingredients to improve skin, hair and even oral health.
Here are 12 amazing beauty and hygiene products you can make yourself using this powerful spice.
1. Facial Cleanser
Turmeric is used to deep clean the skin. Turmeric has anti-inflammatory and antibacterial properties that help to cleanse the skin thus preventing acne.
- Raw milk – 1 tablespoon
- Turmeric- 1/2 teaspoon
- Lime or honey – 1/2 teaspoon
- Mix both the ingredients well and apply on the skin in upward motion.
- Massage it into the skin and leave it for a couple of minutes. T
- hen take warm washcloth and wipe the skin. Your skin will be cleansed thoroughly.
Turmeric can very well be used for the teeth as toothpaste. It will not only save you from unknowingly gulping down the chemicals from the regular toothpaste but also endow you with beautiful white pearlies.
- 2 tsps coconut oil
- 1 tsp turmeric powder
- 1 tsp baking soda (optional)
- Take a bowl, add all these ingredients and mix it all together until you get a smooth and creamy paste. It might stain your toothbrush but the result will make you forget the stains.
Watch this video for more:
Turmeric has been regarded as a powerful antioxidant and contains antibacterial property as mentioned before. It helps to fight acne, hyperpigmentation, blackheads, eczema and psoriasis. In addition, turmeric is also known to enhance the elasticity of the skin and that can be achieved by adding a pinch of turmeric to your regular moisturizer.
This natural moisturizer recipe comes to us from Dr. Axe and was previously published on The Hearty Soul here.
- 10 drops frankincense essential oil
- 1 ounce pure aloe vera gel
- 1 ounce unrefined shea butter
- 1 ounce unrefined coconut oil
- ½ teaspoon vitamin E
- 1 teaspoon of turmeric powder*
*Editor’s note: Original recipe does not include turmeric powder.
- Mix all of the ingredients together in a small bowl.
- If needed (for colder months when the coconut oil is solid), you can gently heat the shea butter and coconut oil in a small pan, then add the rest of the ingredients so that it blends easier.
- Once well blended, transfer into a glass jar.
- Massage a small amount on your face and under your eyes to heal the skin and reduce dark circles.
4. Face Mask
To give your face a brighter overall shine, try this face mask.
- 1 heaping tbsp ground turmeric
- 1 tbsp liquid raw honey
- 1 tbsp melted coconut oil
- 1 tbsp 2 percent milk
- In a small glass bowl, add turmeric.
- Using a long-handled teaspoon, stir in honey.
- Add oil and milk and stir to make a smooth paste.
- Divide mixture in half. Use one half immediately and store the remaining mixture, tightly covered, in the refrigerator for up to three days.
- To use, remove makeup, wash face and neck and pat dry.
- Using the back of the spoon, spread mask evenly over cheeks, forehead, chin, nose and under the eyes.
- Leave mask on for 15 to 20 minutes. Rinse off with warm water, pat try, spritz toner and moisturize with coconut oil.
5. Acne Treatment
As mentioned above, turmeric has been found to have powerful effects against acne.
- 4 tbsps turmeric powder
- 1 tbsp milk
- 4 tbsps raw honey
- Mix all ingredients in a bowl until it becomes a smooth paste.
- Keep this mixture in the refrigerator to cool.
- Take a long hot shower to soften your skin using a mild shower gel or bath soap. Avoid all medicated, glycerin and antibacterial products that can dry out the skin.
- While in the shower, take a washcloth and dip it in very hot water (as much as your hands can stand). Apply the hot wash cloth directly on affected areas for at least 5 minutes.This will help to bring pus in inflamed acne lesions to the surface. Now pat your skin dry.
- Use your fingers and apply the turmeric paste to the dry, soft skin, using a gentle massaging motion. Massage for at least 10 minutes. Leave this to dry overnight.
- The turmeric will dry and become stiff like a mask. This action will reduce the acne size. Rinse the dried paste in the morning.
Note: Turmeric stains clothes. It is recommended that you use old clothes and bed sheets when following this treatment. Turmeric will also leave a yellowish tinge on the skin. To clear this, wipe these areas with a cotton ball dipped in a few drops of a mild facial toner.
Turmeric powder can be used for adjusting foundation to match golden, yellow, olive and peach undertones. It gives the skin a natural color and glow. Simply mix a pinch of turmeric powder to your liquid foundation to get your desired shade.
7. Lip Balm
Naturally condition and lighten your dark, dull and pigmented lips with this homemade turmeric lip balm.
- 1 tsp of turmeric
- 3 drops of lemon juice
- 2 tbsp of shea butter
- 1 tbsp of almond oil
- Mix well and store mixture in a lip balm jar.
- Take a small amount of this lip balm on your finger tips and massage onto your lips.
- Do this before you go to bed. This nourishes and lightens your dark lips, relieves roughness and restores softness.
8. Hair Loss Treatment
Hair loss is a major problem faced by both men and women. A hectic lifestyle and stress are two of the major causes that lead to hair loss. Turmeric contains a component called curcumin that is found to promote faster hair growth and reduce hair fall.
- 1 tbsp turmeric
- 1 tbsp coconut milk
- 1 tbsp raw honey
- Simply mix these ingredients and apply to your roots and hair. Leave on for 30 minutes and then rinse it off using lukewarm water.
Turmeric can give you a healthy, dandruff-free scalp. Turmeric contains antibacterial, anti-fungal and antiseptic properties that kill dandruff-causing bacteria and fungus. Turmeric can be used to treat scalp disorders and gives you a healthy and nourished scalp.
- equal parts turmeric and coconut oil
- Combine both ingredients into a mixture.
- Apply mixture on scalp. Let it stay for 20 minutes and then rinse off using lukewarm water.
(Hint: This makes a great gift.)
- 8 oz. coconut oil
- 2 oz. cocoa butter
- 1.5 oz. mango butter
- 2.5 oz. safflower oil
- 1 oz. shea butter
- 3 oz. castor oil
- 1 oz. hemp seed oil
- 2 oz. avocado oil
- 15 oz. olive oil4.9 oz. lye/sodium hydroxide
- 11.8 oz. strong brewed green tea
- 1 oz. 60% solution liquid sodium lactate
- 1.5 oz. turmeric root powder
- dried calendula flowers, optional
- 2 oz. fragrance oil, optional
- Measure out the refrigerated green tea you’ve prepared in fluid ounces. Pour into a heat safe pitcher.
- Next, using a digital scale weigh out the lye. Slowly pour the lye into the water in a well ventilated area and stir until all the lye has dissolved. Set aside to cool.
- Weight out the soapmaking oils and butters using a digital scale. Combine in a stainless steel pot then heat over medium heat on the stove until all the oils and butters have melted. Once melted, remove the soapmaking oils and butters from heat and set aside.
- You can mix this green tea and turmeric soap recipe at any point in which your lye solution and soapmaking oils have cooled to around 95°F-110°F. Once you’re ready to make the soap, weigh out the sodium lactate and stir into the lye solution. Then weigh out the turmeric root powder and mix into the melted soapmaking oils using a stick blender. You are now ready to mix the lye solution and soapmaking oils together.
- Slowly pour the lye solution into the soapmaking oils. Mix with a stick blender until you reach a light trace, then add your fragrance oil if desired. Continue mixing until you reach at least a a medium trace.
- Once, your soap has traced, pour the soap batter into your prepared mold. Add calendula petals to the top of the soap for visual interest if desired.
- Finally, you’ll need to cover your soap for the saponification process. Cover with a piece of cardboard cut to fit your mold then place a folded towel or blanket over the mold to insulate it.
If you’re using a wooden loaf soap mold, you can remove your soap from the mold the next day. However, you’ll want to wait an additional day before cutting the soap into individual bars to the soap a bit of extra time to harden further.
If you’re using a silicone loaf mold or individual silicone (shape) molds, I’d wait two to three days before attempting to unmold the soap to be sure the soap releases from the mold cleanly.
Allow your soap to cure for four to six weeks, then wrap and label your homemade soaps as desired for yourself, friends and family.
11. Hair Dye
Turmeric can add lovely wheat tones to the hair when very diluted, all the way up to banana yellow when used in paste form.
These recipes are generally used to achieve an all-over hint of color, like a salon glossing, only far cheaper and temporary. If you are looking for a very intense result, make you emulsion stronger. You can always test it on a paper towel to see how bright the color will be.
- 1/2 teaspoon turmeric
- 1 cup boiling water
- 3 tablespoons turmeric
- 1 cup boiling water
- Mix ingredients well.
- Allow the mixture to cool down slightly and strain before putting in a plastic bottle or on your head.
- To apply, simply massage into clean, dry stands, little by little until desired area is fully saturated.
- Leave for about an hour, rinse and condition; do not shampoo, as this is a temporary rinse, and shampoo’s alkalinity will lift it right out of the cuticle!
Note: These mixtures will be runny and watery, and you will want to make sure you don’t dribble all over the bathroom or kitchen. I usually prepare the solution, transfer to a bowl, let cool, and put down some dingy project towels in the bathroom and over the sink.
Sometimes my entire tub is yellow from the rinses I do with turmeric. The best clean up method for these types of stains is to scrub in dish soap and allow it to sit for an hour before rinsing and scrubbing with a sponge.
12. Glowing Skin and Discoloration
You can use turmeric with other natural ingredients to treat various skin issues such as acne, hyperpigmentation, facial hair (yes believe it or not!), cracked heels, stretch marks, for glowing skin, oily skin, wrinkles and a slew of other things.
For glowing skin
- ¼ tsp. turmeric
- ½ tsp. organic honey
- ½ tsp. milk or yogurt
- Mix the ingredients together. It does not form a paste (unless you use yogurt instead of milk) but is more liquid in texture.
- Apply it with an old makeup brush and let it sit for about 10-15 minutes until it dries.
- Then simply rinse with lukewarm water. Do this regularly and you will see great benefits!
- turmeric powder
- lemon juice
- Mix ingredients together until they form a paste.
- Apply on areas you feel need to ‘lighten or improve’ or simply apply it all over as I do.
- Leave on the skin for about a half hour.
- Rinse with lukewarm water and pat dry. For maximum results do this regularly.
Lemon juice is excellent and known for brightening and lightening the skin.
A Special Message From Our Founders
Over the past few years of working with health experts all over the world, there’s one major insight we’ve learned.
Most health problems can often be resolved with a good diet, exercise and a few powerful superfoods. In fact, we’ve gone through hundreds of scientific papers and ‘superfood’ claims and only selected the top 5% that are:
- Backed by scientific research
- Simple to use
We then put this valuable information into the Superfood as Medicine Guide: a 100+ page guide on the 7 most powerful superfoods available, including:
- Exact dosages for every health ailment
- DIY recipes to create your own products
- Simple recipes
This offer is only available until December 31st, 2017. Make sure to grab your copy before the offer runs out.