7 Simple Steps to Gorgeous Windows!
It’s hard to have a beautiful looking bedroom with crazy, big shutters or curtains blocking out the natural light. A lack of sunlight can actually cause many different health problems, so use this lace window technique to maximize your exposure to the sunshine (especially in those dark, dreary winter months). I had the problem of being on the bottom floor apartment where people could walk past and look into my bedroom easily. This meant I had to keep my curtains closed virtually 24/7.
However, after finding this incredible DIY project, by Annabel Vita, that makes your windows pretty, private and let more light in, I’ve never looked at bare window panes the same. All I needed was pretty scalloped lace (which you can get here), a “starch jelly” mixture and only an hour of my weekend!
I was skeptical about the starch jelly mixture, to begin with, as I didn’t know what the consequences would be on my windows, however, according to Audre Erikson; ‘Starch exists as a major carbohydrate storage product in all plants containing chlorophyll‘. Knowing that the cornstarch I would be using comes directly from a natural source made me feel better about plastering it all over my windows- in fact, according to Dr.Oz, cornstarch can be used in medicinal ways as well!
Get your Free copy of The Complete Ketogenic Diet For Beginners
Learn how you can lose weight and keep it off while eating your favourite foods like Pizza & Mac and cheese!
I tested a small amount of the mixture on a glass cup before applying to the windows and it washed off easily with warm water like Annabel recommended.
The Perfect Lace Windows
Why not take advantage of the natural light and allow it to flood into your bedroom whilst remaining privacy at the same time! Follow these instructs on how to make the perfect lace windows.
- Water (hot and cold)
- 2 Tablespoons cornstarch
- 3-5 Meters of scalloped lace (depending on how big your windows are)
- Card and a Pencil
- Start by making a template of your window panes out of card so that you can cut the lace into the right sizes to fit well.
- Place your template on top of the lace and cut around it.
- Iron out your fabric so that application is easier and the results are smoother. You can always iron out fabric before starting the template.
- Mix together 2 tablespoons of cornstarch with some two tablespoons of cold water, stir well. Then add in half a cup of hot water and continue stirring until the ‘resulting jelly is spooky‘ and resembles a pasty substance, according to Annabel.
- Using a paintbrush, apply a thick layer of the cornstarch mixture onto the first window pane you want to target.
- Next, stick your lace onto the window and apply another layer of the cornstarch mixture on top to ensure extra strong hold.
- If you notice any gaps you can easily cut off a piece of lace and apply it to the affected area in the same way you did the rest of the window pane. Annabel says ‘The best thing about using lace (with holes in) is that there are automatically not air pockets so you don’t have to both squeegeeing them out‘ and its ‘very forgiving’. So don’t be afraid to make a mistake it can easily be rectified!
Ta-da! Your new lace windows are complete! Take a step back and enjoy the results morning, day and night!
It’s so simple to make a room that was lacking privacy become somewhere comfortable, light and bright. Using lace is a technique that’s not limited to the bedroom; the front door can be another place that lacks privacy but needs light.
If this DIY has gotten you as obsessed with lace as I am, then why not try this unique guide to making painted lace drawers; the more lace the merrier!
Feeling a little more adventurous? Try making these DIY, colorful Roman Shades- guide in the video below. They are a great way to control how much light you want in your room as well as providing an eye-catching element to your windows.
A quick note from our founders
Have you been curious about the Ketogenic Diet? You're not alone!
Going "Keto" has helped so many of our friends drop weight and keep it off.
And it's the perfect time to try it because right now you can get a free copy of a brand new cookbook called
This cookbook is jampacked with 76 delicious ketogenic recipes that will help you burn fat like crazy. Even stubborn belly and thigh fat won't stand a chance because your body will have NO CHOICE but to burn that fat for fuel....all while you enjoy your favourite foods like pizza!!!!
If you've struggled to get rid of stubborn fat, you owe it to yourself to test-drive the keto diet and see how effective it really is. It’ll be easy once you have this free cookbook...
HURRY, this FREE offer won’t last long!