Most of the time when we’re cooking, we’re worried about getting food on the table as quickly as we can, especially if you have a hungry family to feed. We don’t spend a second thinking about the fruit and vegetable scraps that we leave in our wake as we tear through the kitchen. These are just the unimportant bits and pieces that are thrown out without a second thought. But what if we can turn this waste into something more?
Keep Those Peels
Ah onions. They may make you cry, but there’s no doubting that they’re essential to almost any savoury dish you can name. While no one enjoys peeling onions, that doesn’t mean we can’t enjoy the peels.
Onions, and their peels contain quercetin, a powerful antioxidant, anti-inflammatory, and antihistamine. It has a multitude of benefits, including:
- Reduce LDL or bad cholesterol levels
- Reduce blood pressure levels
- Decrease instances of inflammation
- Enhance muscle development and function
- Fight allergies
- Treat depression
- Fight some forms of cancer as well as other diseases
Onion Peel Uses
While the uses for onions is widely known, onion peels don’t have much in the way of a reputation for being useful. Luckily, we figured out just what we can use those onion peels for . Since these uses involve ingesting the peel, it’s important that you use organic onions that are free from harmful pesticides.
- Add to slow cookers and soups. Onion peels actually have nutritional value and are a source of phenolic compounds and fiber. Next time you’re preparing soups or stews, add the peel in with the onion. You can blend soups so that there won’t be any peels in it, and once a stew has been cooked, you can fish out the remains as they’ll have left all their goodness in your pot.
- Natural dye. Onion peels can also be used to make your own homemade dye. You can use it on wool or even your hair for a great golden brown color.
- Leg cramps. Leg cramps are uncomfortable, especially when they happen in the middle of the night. You can make a great tea from the peels by boiling them in water for 10 to 20 minutes.
The next time you’re preparing a meal and you notice onions in the recipe, don’t make the mistake of throwing them away!
Lose 11 pounds in 22 days?
Is it REALLY possible to lose 11 lbs. of fat in 22 days? Actually yes… BUT only when you’re a level 4 fat burner. Unfortunately, most people are stuck as level 1 fat burners. So, how do you become a level 4 fat burner to lose up to 11 lbs. in 22 days? Simply eat these foods daily: