What if someone tells you that you can drop a dress size simply by eating a spoonful of honey before bed each night, consuming cinnamon right after waking up or torching your belly fat with lemon? Well, it’s (partially) true. It is commonly believed that each of these items; lemon, honey, and cinnamon each individually aid in the process of weight loss.
Let’s assess the qualities of these gold ingredients and their role in weight loss.
Honey For Weight Loss: Healing the Gut
Honey and weight loss is truly underestimated. Honey is a healthy and natural golden substance that acts as a healthy alternative to sugar. You can substitute honey with normal sugar to sweeten foods and beverages including tea and coffee. Remember that honey — although it contains several healthy compounds and has antibacterial properties — still contains high amounts of sugar, which the body will still metabolize the same way as regular table sugar.
Small intestine bacterial overgrowth or SIBO, low stomach acid, and acid reflux are all related to a similar bacterial influence. In a recent study, this particularly dangerous bacteria related to all three conditions: Clostridium difficult. Because of Manuka honey’s known natural antibiotic and antibacterial qualities, it was found to be quite effective at fighting Clostridium difficult. So taking manuka honey may be very beneficial at helping to reduce reflux and balancing your digestive system to heal stomach and intestinal issues.
To incorporate more manuka honey into your daily routine you can try these tips:
- Try drinking a lukewarm glass of water stirred with a teaspoon of honey after meals (especially with green tea) to aid digestion and help promote weight loss.
- Honey can be taken with lemon and cinnamon as well to further potentially promote weight loss.
Cinnamon for Weight Loss and Blood Sugar
This savory spice can be sprinkled over your breakfast bowl of oats, added to a smoothie, or made into a soothing cup of tea for blood sugar balancing properties. Several studies have shown cinnamon’s blood sugar and weight loss supporting effects.
Cinnamon health benefits include:
Type II diabetes:
- several studies have shown improved insulin sensitivity and glucose tolerance with the use of cinnamon (1, 2, 3, 4)
Curb cravings and balance blood sugar regulation:
- Cinnamon in tea or sprinkled over your morning oatmeal can help regulate your blood sugar levels and keep cravings at bay.
To incorporate more cinnamon into your life and gain its weight loss benefits here are a few tips:
- You can mix manuka honey and cinnamon in warm water and consume before bed
- Even better, one of our favorite sleepy time teas Nightly Zen contains a potent mix of organic cinnamon, valerian, passion flower, oat straw, and skullcap to help:
- Soothe anxious thoughts
- Calm our central nervous system
- Help you wind down for a good night’s sleep
We know that getting enough high quality sleep is a huge factor to
healthy weight loss, as a lack of sleep has been shown to lead to weight
gain, diabetes, and several other serious health conditions (5).
Lemon for Weight Loss
Lemon the super-food may indeed help minimize weight gain and obesity, and at the same time, improves insulin resistance. From its property of cleansing the stomach, lemons are high in pectin fiber that helps make you feel full longer, fight hunger pangs and keep cravings at bay.
- Warm water, manuka honey, and lemon can be a soothing and nourishing before bed beverage
- Additionally, drinking a glass of lemon water in the morning instead of downing a cup of coffee.
- You can also add lemon and/or manuka honey to your favorite green tea for an extra metabolism kick!
Jumpstart your weight loss: Adding honey, lemon, and cinnamon to a detox program
If you’re looking to give your metabolism a jumpstart, hitting the reset button with a professionally formulated 14 or 28-day detox program is a great way to start. The best thing about using tea and herbs to help you detox is you can add a teaspoon of honey, and a slice of lemon into a mug of tea, stir well and make sure all the elements have well dissolved and settled. Our favorite detox programs are
Our favorite detox programs are Affect Health’s combination of loose leaf tea and medicinal herbs that are made using 100% USDA organic ingredients and also laxative-free. The daytime blend goes amazing with honey and lemon, and the nighttime blend already contains organic cinnamon, so you can also add some manuka honey for added benefits.
Boost energy, metabolism, and detoxification with the Daytime Blend:
- Matcha and Yerba Mate provide even, focused energy all day long without the crash.
- Dandelion Root and powdered Milk Thistle Seed are a potent liver loving combo to help improve detoxification.
Rejuvenate, replenish, and rebuild with the Nighttime Blend:
- Valerian Root and Passion Flower help soothe anxious thoughts and help us relax for a good night’s sleep.
- Milk Thistle Seed provides continued liver support.
- Cinnamon helps with weight loss cravings, and blood sugar balance
Remember that in order to lose weight and keep it off, one needs to focus on healthy eating, regular exercise, and a healthy lifestyle. Drinking honey and cinnamon mixtures or lemon and honey mixtures may also help promote weight loss; however one should never solely rely on these to lose weight.
- Akilen R, Tsiami A, Devendra D, Robinson N. Glycated hemoglobin and blood pressure-lowering effect of cinnamon in multi-ethnic Type 2 diabetic patients in the UK: a randomized, placebo-controlled, double-blind clinical trial. Diabet Med 2010;27:1159-67.
- Vanschoonbeek K, Thomassen BJ, Senden JM, et al. Cinnamon supplementation does not improve glycemic control in postmenopausal type 2 diabetes patients. J Nutr 2006;136:977-80.
- Blevins SM, Leyva MJ, Brown J, et al. Effect of cinnamon on glucose and lipid levels in non insulin-dependent type 2 diabetes. Diabetes Care 2007;30:2236-7.
- Thomas Solomon-Andrew Blannin – European Journal of Applied Physiology – 2009
A Special Message From Our Founders
Over the past few years of working with health experts all over the world, there’s one major insight we’ve learned.
Most health problems can often be resolved with a good diet, exercise and a few powerful superfoods. In fact, we’ve gone through hundreds of scientific papers and ‘superfood’ claims and only selected the top 5% that are:
- Backed by scientific research
- Simple to use
We then put this valuable information into the Superfood as Medicine Guide: a 100+ page guide on the 7 most powerful superfoods available, including:
- Exact dosages for every health ailment
- DIY recipes to create your own products
- Simple recipes
Grab your copy before the offer runs out!