This awesome post was written by Alina Islam, a wonderful Certified Nutritional Practitioner from Toronto, Canada. She is a writer, speaker and nutritional consultant.
Click here to download her free eBook, “The Beginner’s Guide to Meal Prep” to lose up to 10 pounds, skyrocket your energy and take control of your health.
Get your Free copy of The Complete Ketogenic Diet For Beginners
Learn how you can lose weight and keep it off while eating your favourite foods like Pizza & Mac and cheese!
There’s days that we’re lazy. There’s days that we’re not that hungry. And there’s days where we simply don’t have that much in the fridge! For those days, a smoothie can be your best friend. Seriously, there’s nothing easier than dumping a bunch of ingredients into a blender and watch a machine do the work for you.
Unfortunately, a lot of people start making smoothies for breakfast, but then find themselves dying of hunger an hour later and face planting into a bagel. When I ask about the ingredients they used, it’s usually something like: berries, bananas and some milk.
There’s many things wrong with that equation. Here’s why:
- A “fruit-only” smoothie is going to be high in sugar, and lead to more cravings later. It’s also not ideal if you’re trying to lose weight.
- A balanced meal requires protein + fat + fibre to feel full. Fruit provides fibre, sure, but where’s the protein and fat to feel satiated?
- Milk also spikes blood sugar because of it’s natural sugar content (lactose) and most people find it difficult to digest
And here’s an idea of what a perfect, well-rounded smoothie would look like!
- Base: 1-2 cups of non-dairy milk, coconut water or plain water
- Fibre + nutrients: 1 cup dark leafy green (e.g. spinach, swiss chard, kale)
- Protein: 1 scoop protein powder or 1-2 Tbsp nut butter/seeds (e.g. chia, hemp)
- Fat: 1-2 Tbsp ground flax or coconut oil or 1/4 avocado
- Flavour: 1/2 – 1 cup fruit
These are just some starter ideas, feel free to play around with the ingredients, as long as you have all of these covered!
Note: I am in no way advocating a smoothie diet (especially this time of year), but if you feel like making the occasional smoothie to replace a meal/when you’ve run out of food…at least do it right 😉
A quick note from our founders
Have you been curious about the Ketogenic Diet? You're not alone!
Going "Keto" has helped so many of our friends drop weight and keep it off.
And it's the perfect time to try it because right now you can get a free copy of a brand new cookbook called
This cookbook is jampacked with 76 delicious ketogenic recipes that will help you burn fat like crazy. Even stubborn belly and thigh fat won't stand a chance because your body will have NO CHOICE but to burn that fat for fuel....all while you enjoy your favourite foods like pizza!!!!
If you've struggled to get rid of stubborn fat, you owe it to yourself to test-drive the keto diet and see how effective it really is. It’ll be easy once you have this free cookbook...
HURRY, this FREE offer won’t last long!