This awesome post was written by Alina Islam, a wonderful Certified Nutritional Practitioner from Toronto, Canada. She is a writer, speaker and nutritional consultant. You can read more of her work at AlinaIslam.com or follow her on Facebook, Instagram, and Twitter.
Who likes to snooze? I like to snooze. As winter rolls aroud (who am I kidding, it’s here), a make-ahead breakfast like this is a keeper. It lets me smush my face into the pillow saying “I don’t wanna I don’t wanna” a little while longer.
Get your Free copy of The Complete Ketogenic Diet For Beginners
Learn how you can lose weight and keep it off while eating your favourite foods like Pizza & Mac and cheese!
I called this recipe “mushroom & egg breakfast”, because really, you can make it a scrambled egg, an omelette or a frittata (pictured above). And you can also serve it with whole grain toast (I use Silver Hills gluten-free chia bread), or even a bed of quinoa.
Eggs are an awesome choice for breakfast because they’re high in protein. In fact, eggs have the highest protein quality of any other food (even beating chicken and beef). Protein and fibre both boost your metabolism in the morning, so if you’re looking for a breakfast that helps with fat burning…hello!
Mushroom & Egg Breakfast
- 2 cups small cremini mushrooms (you can use any other mushroom, I just chose them because they looked the cutest.)
- 1/6 of a small package of goat cheese
- 4 eggs
- 2 large collard green leaves
- 1 Tbsp coconut oil (for cooking)
- Cut collard green leaves into ribbons (roll up the collard leaves so it looks like a rolling pin, then slice along the shorter side. The result is little green ribbons).
- Crack eggs and beat together. De-stem and slice mushrooms.
- Mix together eggs, collard leaves and mushrooms.
- Take little bits of goat cheese and plop into mixture, spread evenly throughout.
- Heat coconut oil on a frying pan on medium-high heat
- Once melted, place mixture into frying pan, for about 5 minutes
- Hit the broil setting on your oven. (Yes, you finally get to use it!)
- Place pan into the oven to broil for 3-4 minutes, until fully cooked
- Remove from heat. Slice into four pieces.
- Drizzle with olive oil, sea salt, chili flakes and black pepper to taste. Serve on organic, sprouted, whole grain or gluten-free toast. You can also serve this on a bed of warm quinoa.
- Can keep in the fridge for 3-4 days. Warm up a slice in the oven whenever you need one.
This article was republished with permission from Alina Islam.
A Special Message From Our Founders
Over the past few years of working with health experts all over the world, there’s one major insight we’ve learned.
Most health problems can often be resolved with a good diet, exercise and a few powerful superfoods. In fact, we’ve gone through hundreds of scientific papers and ‘superfood’ claims and only selected the top 5% that are:
- Backed by scientific research
- Simple to use
We then put this valuable information into the Superfood as Medicine Guide: a 100+ page guide on the 7 most powerful superfoods available, including:
- Exact dosages for every health ailment
- DIY recipes to create your own products
- Simple recipes
Grab your copy before the offer runs out!