You can find weight loss tips everywhere you look, so it’s easy to get confused about the truth on the most effective way to lose weight. The truth is that when it comes to weight loss, what you eat is more important than how much you eat. Clean, whole foods will always win over processed foods. Foods that are rich in fiber play an especially important role in weight loss and it’s easy to incorporate them into the food you eat daily.
The role of fiber in weight loss
A study reveals that foods with a high-fiber content lead to weight loss. This is especially true for people who follow a more simplified diet. The researchers were interested in finding out whether increasing only one nutrient in someone’s diet would lead to weight loss.
The experiment was successful: The researchers discovered that the participants who simply added more fiber-rich foods in their diet dropped 2.1 kg, or more than 4.5 lbs, in weight in 12 months. If you don’t wish to change your diet drastically, increasing your fiber intake can help you lose more weight. (1)
Why you should target your middle
All participants in the study had metabolic syndrome. This syndrome includes five symptoms that can lead to heart disease. The symptoms include high blood pressure, high blood sugar, high triglyceride level (the fat in your blood), as well as low HDL cholesterol level, the “good” cholesterol that cleans the cholesterol in your blood.
The last symptom is having an excess of fat around your waistline. Having fat on your stomach area is more dangerous than having fat anywhere else on your body because it increases your risk of heart disease. If you develop at least three of these symptoms, you are at risk of metabolic syndrome and heart disease. (2) Having fiber in your diet can help to eliminate these risks.
Fiber-rich weight loss recipe
This recipe features four ingredients with a high fiber and water content.
What you’ll need
- 1 cup celery: fiber 1.6 g | water 96.38 g (4)
- 1 cup parsley: fiber 2.0 g | water 52.63 g (6)
- 1 cup cucumber: fiber 0.5 g | water 128.65 g (5)
- 1 cup pineapple: fiber 2.3 g | water 141.90 g (3)
Combine all ingredients in a blender. They already have a high-water content, but feel free to add water to your liking. Avoid juicing these ingredients because you will lose some fiber if you discard parts of them. You could have it for breakfast as it’s a refreshing recipe that combines fruit and vegetables and it’s perfect to help you begin your day.
This recipe will give you 6.4 g of fiber, which is important for weight loss, but your diet should include more fiber and other nutrients. The recommended amount of fiber is 25 g for women and 38 g for men per day. (7)
In addition to diet, physical activity also plays an important role in weight loss. Aim to exercise at least a few times a week. If you don’t have time for a full exercise routine, go for a walk. There are multiple factors that lead to weight loss, so it’s imperative to make healthy food choices and keep yourself active.
- The Flat Belly Routine: 3 Keys to Achievable Weight Loss
- Anti-Inflammatory Butternut Squash Soup Recipe Full of B-Vitamins, Potassium and Fiber
- 7 Ways to Naturally Relieve Constipation Without Laxatives or Fiber Supplements
(1) Ma, Y., Olendzki, B. C., Wang, J., Persuitte, G. M., Li, W., Fang, H., Merriam, P. A., Wedick, N. M., Ockene, I. S., Culver, A. L., Schneider, K. L., Olendzki, G., Carmody, J., Ge, T., Zhang, Z., Pagoto, S. L. (February 17, 2015). Single-Component Versus Multicomponent Dietary Goals for the Metabolic Syndrome: A Randomized Trial. Annals of Internal Medicine, 162(4), 248-257.
(2) National Heart, Lung, and Blood Institute. (June 22, 2016). What Is Metabolic Syndrome?
(3) United States Department of Agriculture. (May 2015). Basic Report: 09266, Pineapple, raw, all varieties.
(4) United States Department of Agriculture. (May 2015). Basic Report: 11143, Celery, raw.
(5) United States Department of Agriculture. (May 2015). Basic Report: 11205, Cucumber, with peel, raw.
(6) United States Department of Agriculture. (May 2015). Basic Report: 11297, Parsley, fresh.
(7) United States Department of Agriculture. (November 2007). The Food Supply and Dietary Fiber: Its Availability and Effect on Health.
A Special Message From Our Founders
Over the past few years of working with health experts all over the world, there’s one major insight we’ve learned.
Most health problems can often be resolved with a good diet, exercise and a few powerful superfoods. In fact, we’ve gone through hundreds of scientific papers and ‘superfood’ claims and only selected the top 5% that are:
- Backed by scientific research
- Simple to use
We then put this valuable information into the Superfood as Medicine Guide: a 100+ page guide on the 7 most powerful superfoods available, including:
- Exact dosages for every health ailment
- DIY recipes to create your own products
- Simple recipes
This offer is only available until December 31st, 2017. Make sure to grab your copy before the offer runs out.