If you’re like most people, you’ve heard that fluoride is bad for you or that you should get fluoride-free toothpaste, but you’re still not 100% sure why you should be avoiding fluoride. Or you’re not able to explain the science behind it.
After this post, you will be. Here is a simple, chemistry lesson that no scientist will argue against.
Fluoride Dangers: Why Use Fluoride-Free Toothpaste
Remember the periodic table? The bane of your existence throughout high school? Unfortunately, we’ll have to revisit it briefly. If you look below, there is a class of elements called the “halogens”, which has been outlined. The halogens are fluorine, chlorine, bromine, iodine, and astatine.
Now here are the two facts about halogens that need to be understood to understand why fluoride isn’t a good idea:
Halogens compete with one another for absorption. That means if you drink heavily fluorinated and chlorinated water, you will block your body’s ability to absorb iodine properly. And what’s iodine crucial for? The thyroid gland, which regulates our metabolic rate and touches every single cell in the human body. Is it any wonder we’re seeing more and more thyroid and endocrine disorders?
- Halogens are highly electronegative (highly reactive). What’s more, the higher up on the chart, the more reactive the element is. That makes fluorine the most reactive halogen, which means no other chemical can displace it! That means when it comes to a showdown between iodine and fluorine, fluorine always wins out. That’s why fluorine is also never found in nature.
Now that you understand the science, here are a handful of tips for what you can do about it and make sure your thyroid stays healthy:
- Use fluoride-free toothpaste
- Use a water filtration system
- Avoid processed food. The more processed it is, the more fluoride it has.
- Avoid non-stick pans as research has shown this can increase fluoride content in food
- Swim in a saltwater pool if possible. If you only have access to chlorinated pools, be sure to supplement with iodine.
- Use a shower filter to remove chlorine
- Avoid non-organic strawberries (bromine is used as a pesticide mainly for strawberries)
- Avoid refined vegetable oils, specifically brominated vegetable oil
- Avoid citrus flavoured drinks i.e. Mountain Dew
- Minimize exposure to commercial bread and bakeries (used as a dough conditioner)
Our newest fat-burning dessert recipe book just released and we’ve reserved a free digital copy for you! Click the button and simply let me know where you want us to email it and you’ll have it in your inbox today…Grab my free copy
A Special Message From Our Founders
Over the past few years of working with health experts all over the world, there’s one major insight we’ve learned.
Most health problems can often be resolved with a good diet, exercise and a few powerful superfoods. In fact, we’ve gone through hundreds of scientific papers and ‘superfood’ claims and only selected the top 5% that are:
- Backed by scientific research
- Simple to use
We then put this valuable information into the Superfood as Medicine Guide: a 100+ page guide on the 7 most powerful superfoods available, including:
- Exact dosages for every health ailment
- DIY recipes to create your own products
- Simple recipes