A healthy diet is extremely important for anyone, but it’s especially important for diabetics. Many foods we consume are turned into glucose (sugar), which the body uses for energy during the metabolism of carbohydrates, proteins, and fats.
When the pancreas fails to produce the hormone insulin, blood sugar cannot get into the body’s cells. (Fortunately, you can help to prevent and even reverse this condition with the diabetes-fighting foods listed below! Plus, you’ll find a helpful summary you can keep referring back to at the end of the article.)
According to the annual National Diabetes Statistics Report from the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, 9.3% of Americans suffer from type 1 or type 2 diabetes—that’s more than 29 million people!
In fact, it is the seventh most common cause of death in the U.S. The disease can also snowball, and lead to many other serious health conditions, including blindness, nerve disorders, stroke, kidney disease, and heart disease.
Natural Foods That Reverse Diabetes
Luckily, diabetics can help reverse the condition with simple dietary changes. Food is definitely an important medicine for people with diabetes. What you eat can make all the difference between reversing the disease or making the condition even worse.
What foods should diabetics avoid?
They are likely some former favorites, such as bacon, French fries, and dairy products. A person with diabetes should stay away from processed foods, especially refined carbohydrates. For instance, pizza night should likely be cancelled.
Other high-glycemic-index foods diabetics should avoid include many wheat flour products, white potatoes, white rice, candy, sodas, many cereal products, and especially sugar itself. Alcohol and caffeine consumption should also be limited. Fruits high in natural sugar, such as bananas, peaches, and nectarines, should also be avoided.
Instead, you should focus on low-glycemic-load foods that reverse diabetes and control your blood sugar levels. The best anti-diabetes diet should mainly include whole, nutrient-dense, and natural foods that contain antioxidants and anti-inflammatory properties, and also help to detoxify the body.
So what foods are appropriate for a natural diabetes treatment?
9 Leafy Greens: Superheroes of the Diabetic’s Plate
Leafy greens and cruciferous vegetables are loaded with vitamins, minerals, antioxidants, and phytochemicals. They are also foods that rank low on the glycemic index, which means that they help to stabilize blood sugar levels. Researchers believe that a deficiency in magnesium reduces insulin production and increases insulin resistance.
1/2/3. Broccoli, Spinach, Collard Greens
These along with other leafy green vegetables are high sources of magnesium and can help combat magnesium deficiency complications. These green vegetables are also good sources of dietary fiber, omega-3 fatty acids, and antioxidants, such as vitamin A, vitamin C, vitamin E, and zinc.
Evidence also shows leafy greens are among the top foods that reverse diabetes. In a 2014 meta-analysis published in the journal BMJ Open, researchers found that the consumption of green leafy vegetables can drastically lower type 2 diabetes risk.
Broccoli, in particular, contains specific chemicals that may help prevent damaged blood vessels in diabetics. In a study published in the journal Diabetes in 2008, researchers found that the sulforaphane in broccoli promotes the production of the protective enzymes that limit diabetes-induced cell damage.
Heart disease is the number one cause of death for diabetics, and conditions such as strokes and heart attacks are largely associated with blood vessel damage. The increased consumption of cruciferous vegetables, therefore, reduces cardiovascular disease risk in diabetics.
4. Broccoli Sprouts
These are also important foods that reverse diabetes. The sulforaphane in broccoli sprouts are actually 20-times more potent than broccoli. In a 2012 randomized double-blind study published in the International Journal of Food Sciences and Nutrition, broccoli sprout powder significantly improved insulin resistance in type 2 diabetic patients.
The study observed 63 diabetics during the month-long trial. Another four-week trial from 2011 found that broccoli sprout powder reduced oxidative stress in patients with type 2 diabetes.
Sulforaphane also plays an important role in the body’s natural detoxification processes. The phytochemicals help enzymes transform destructive cancerous chemicals into easy-to-eliminate substances.
5/6/7/8/9. Swiss Chard, Kale, Green Cabbage, Arugula and Romaine Lettuce
These are other nutrient-dense leafy greens that can help you reverse diabetes naturally.
9 Spices and Herbs to Reduce Diabetes in a Healthier Way
1/2. Cinnamon & Turmeric
What spices and herbs can benefit diabetes patients? You can still enjoy eating without high-glycemic and sugary condiments. There are two spices that are especially excellent herbal remedies for diabetes. They are cinnamon and turmeric.
Heavy research supports that cinnamon (Cinnamomum cassia) is an important spice to help reduce blood sugar levels. In a 2013 meta-analysis published in the journal Annals of Family Medicine, researchers found that cinnamon reduced fasting blood sugar. The cinnamon also displayed cardiovascular effects.
It reduced total cholesterol, “bad” LDL (low-density lipoprotein) cholesterol, and triglyceride levels, and it increased “good” HDL (high-density lipoprotein) cholesterol. The meta-analysis included 10 randomized controlled trials with 543 diabetic patients, taking between 120 milligrams to six grams per dose of cinnamon for a four- to 18-week duration.
What about turmeric (Curcuma longa)? It has been used in Ayurvedic herbal medicine and traditional Chinese medicine for centuries. It is known as a detoxification herb for liver protection, and it also famously contains potent anti-inflammatory properties. Turmeric contains a bioactive compound, curcumin, which is responsible for its antioxidant and anti-inflammatory ability.
According to research published in Molecular Nutrition & Food Research in 2013, curcumin reduces inflammation and prevents insulin resistance–associated problems like liver disease and atherosclerosis. Curcumin and turmeric supplementation have also lowered oxidative stress in diabetic rats within other studies.
How can you incorporate turmeric and cinnamon into your anti-diabetic meals? The spice is perfect for many Indian-oriented dishes, scrambled eggs or tofu, brown rice dishes, and vegetable soups, or you can sauté them with some vegetables. Cinnamon is a great breakfast spice to sprinkle over fruits or low-glycemic buckwheat and blueberry pancakes. Turmeric or cinnamon are also ideal spices for great anti-diabetic tea or smoothie options.
Another way to add turmeric to your smoothie is with this delicious turmeric liquid extract from PuraThrive. This extract is made with liposomes, which are designed to deliver the nutrients straight to your cells as opposed to having you run the risk of urinating them all out. You can add a few droplets to a glass of water, to your morning smoothie or you can enjoy it straight. To purchase a bottle, follow this link and scroll down to place your order.
2-9. Fenugreek, Ginger, Garlic, Cumin, Ginseng, Bilberry, and Cayenne Pepper
Want to add other anti-diabetic spices to your meal? These are other herbal remedies for diabetes.
11 Fruits and Vegetables to Reverse Diabetes
It is well established that a wide variety of fruits and vegetables are important for a natural diabetes treatment. They are rich in antioxidants and fiber, which help reverse diabetes naturally. In a prospective study published in the journal Diabetes Care in 2012, researchers found that a diet with high amounts of vegetables and a variety of fruits helped reduce type 2 diabetes risk.
More specifically, blueberries, Indian gooseberries, and mango leaves are some fruits that are proven to help reverse diabetes.
Blueberries contain the natural chemical anthocyanins, which stimulate the release of the hormone adiponectin. As a result, heightened adiponectin levels help regulate blood sugar levels and increase insulin sensitivity. Blueberries are also high in fiber, which can help you lose weight and reverse diabetes naturally.
2. Indian Gooseberry
The Indian gooseberry (Emblica Officinalis) is also known as amla or Amalaki fruit. It is considered one of the strongest rejuvenating herbs within Ayurvedic medicine. The fruit can hel:
- Regulate blood sugar levels
- Reduce hyperglycemia
- Cardiac complications
- Diabetic nephropathy
- and promote proper pancreas function
Amla fruit is high in vitamin C and contains other important antioxidants, such as gallic acid, ellagic acid, corilagin, and gallotannic. Indian gooseberry powder may also increase HDL cholesterol and reduce LDL cholesterol levels.
3. Mango Leaves
Mango leaves are one of the great foods that reverse diabetes. They have been used in traditional Chinese medicine for many years. They help with insulin regulation in the blood and the reduction of blood sugar levels. Mango leaf tea is also easy to prepare; just boil three or four mango leaves in a cup of water and enjoy!
4-11. Apples, Grapes, Grapefruit, Strawberries, Oranges, Tomatoes, Onions, and Mushrooms.
These are other low-glycemic-index fruits and vegetables that can help prevent or reverse diabetes.
9 Nuts, Grains, and Beans That Fight Diabetes
Certain nuts, grains, and beans are low in glycemic load and are essential foods that reverse diabetes.
Nuts, such as walnuts, are welcome additions to an anti-diabetic diet. They can reduce inflammation with the polyunsaturated fatty acid alpha-linolenic acid. They also contain antioxidant, antiviral, anti-high cholesterol, and anti-cancer properties, which reverse diabetes progression.
In a study published in the Journal of Nutrition in 2013, researchers suggested that high walnut consumption may lower the risk in type 2 diabetes in women. The researchers observed 58,063 women between the ages 52 and 77, and 79,893 women aged 35 to 52 within two large cohort studies. There were 5,930 type 2 diabetes cases after a 10-year follow-up.
2-8. Quinoa, Oats, Amaranth, Barley, Brown, Wild Rice, and Buckwheat
Fibrous whole grains are considered a good anti-diabetic option and refined grain alternative. Quinoa is a nutritious seed that contains phytochemicals, which can help balance your blood sugar. Some studies also link quinoa consumption to the reduction of other factors associated with diabetics, such as total cholesterol levels and triglycerides levels.
Quinoa, and other whole grains like oats, amaranth, barley, brown and wild rice, and buckwheat, may also help diabetic patients control their appetite and reverse diabetes.
9. Cannellini Beans
Cannellini beans are also considered a good legume option that won’t raise your blood sugar levels. They also contain large amounts of soluble fiber and protein. In general, legumes are considered low-glycemic-index foods that reverse diabetes naturally. In a 2012 randomized, controlled study published in the Archives of Internal Medicine, daily low-glycemic bean consumption dropped average blood sugar levels twice as much as whole grains. The study observed 121 type 2 diabetic patients for a three-month period.
Protein-Rich Anti-Diabetic Foods for Your Daily Breakfast
Protein breakfasts will give you the energy to start the day. Organic eggs, brown rice protein powder, and nut butter are good options.
How to Plan Your Anti-Diabetes Diet
It is smart to plan ahead for a natural treatment for diabetes. Here are a few tips:
- Eat every four hours. This will help normalize glucose and insulin levels.
- Stop eating at least two or three hours before bedtime.
- You can improve insulin sensitivity and sugar metabolism with a daily exercise regimen. Simple exercises like walking can help reverse diabetes naturally and are a great complement to your anti-diabetes diet.
- Finally, it is also best to work with a holistic nutritionist or registered dietitian to develop the most appropriate anti-diabetes diet for you.
Anti-Diabetic Foods: 41 Foods that Reverse Diabetes
- Broccoli & Broccoli Sprouts: Sulforaphane, minerals, antioxidants, essential fats, and vitamins that reverse diabetes.
- Spinach: Rich in magnesium, dietary fiber, quality calories, vitamins, minerals, and phytochemicals.
- Collard Greens: Loaded with phytochemicals, nutrients, and vitamins that improve disease resistance.
- Swiss Chard: Highly nutritious and an excellent source of vitamins C, A, E, and K, zinc, and calcium; helps regenerate pancreatic cells that are responsible for insulin production.
- Kale: Low GI and an excellent source of vitamins, minerals, antioxidants.
- Green Cabbage: Antihyperglycemic and contains powerful antioxidants; it’s also a great source of fiber.
- Arugula: Low-calorie food and a rich source of vitamins A, C, and K.
- Romaine Lettuce: Contains high concentration of chromium that helps control your blood sugar levels.
Spices and Herbs
- Cinnamon: Anti-inflammatory, antioxidant, and a rich source of curcumin.
- Turmeric: A powerful antioxidant; contains active diabetes-fighting compound curcumin.
- Fenugreek: Contains high concentration of soluble fiber, which slows down the absorption of carbohydrates and lowers blood sugar levels.
- Ginger: Very low GI; inhibits production of enzymes that contribute to diabetes.
- Garlic, Cumin, Ginseng, Bilberry & Cayenne Pepper: High antioxidant properties, low GI, and high concentration of phytonutrients.
Fruits and Vegetables
- Blueberries & Strawberries: Excellent sources of antioxidants; contain anthocyanins that regulate blood sugar levels.
- Indian Gooseberries: High in vitamin C, a good source of antioxidants like gallic acid, ellagic acid, corilagin, and gallotannic.
- Mango Leaves: A good source of vitamins A, B, B6, and C, probiotic fiber, and magnesium.
- Apples: Loaded with soluble fiber.
- Grapes, Mushrooms, Oranges, Tomatoes & Onions: Good sources of vitamins A and C, potassium, iron, folate, lycopene, and magnesium, which are all helpful to reverse diabetes naturally.
Nuts, Grains, and Beans
- Walnuts & Quinoa: Contain polyunsaturated fatty acids, high in antioxidants, and have antiviral and anti-inflammatory properties that reverse diabetes progression.
- Oats, Amaranth & Barley: Low GI, high amount of soluble fiber, magnesium, omega-3 fatty acids, important vitamins, folic acid, zinc, and protein.
- Brown Rice, Wild Rice, & Buckwheat: Full of antioxidants and fiber, B vitamins, complex carbohydrates, iron, and protein that metabolize fats and stabilize blood sugar levels.
- Cannellini Beans: Contain protein and fiber; and deliver essential anti-diabetic minerals like potassium and magnesium.
- Organic Eggs, Brown Rice Protein Powder, & Nut Butters: Rich sources of protein; low in calories and carbohydrates.
There are so many foods that can help you to avoid type 2 diabetes and this guide should help. Try adding one or two of these ingredients into each meal to avoid complications with your blood sugar and diabetes. They won’t hurt you or your taste buds.
This article was republished with permission from doctorshealthpress.com.
Lose 11 pounds in 22 days?
Is it REALLY possible to lose 11 lbs. of fat in 22 days? Actually yes… BUT only when you’re a level 4 fat burner. Unfortunately, most people are stuck as level 1 fat burners. So, how do you become a level 4 fat burner to lose up to 11 lbs. in 22 days? Simply eat these foods daily:Lose up to 11 lbs. in 22 days by eating these foods daily
(upgrades you to level 4 fat burning status)