This awesome post first appeared on MarniWasserman.com. Marni is a Certified Natural Chef, Culinary Holistic Nutritionist CNP and Health Strategist based in Toronto, ON. She owns Toronto’s first plant-based cooking studio, Marni Wasserman’s Food Studio & Lifestyle Shop, where she passionately educates others on how to adopt a plant-based diet. Check out her great blog or follow her on Facebook.
I have to confess. I have been addicted, terribly to Vega Sport Acai energizer for years now. Most mornings I wake up and I add a heaping scoop to my morning elixir. I have finally reached a point that I don’t want to do that anymore, I don’t want to put an artificial powder into my body that has sugar and other additives. Although I feel great when I drink it, and have the best workouts ever, its for sure not the most natural way to do this.
FINALLY this year, in fact last week, I came up with my own version of a morning energizing beverage. I love it! I am trying to mimic the aspects of what a good energizing drink should have.
– This is coming from yerba mate and green tea. This provides a boost of caffeine, but it’s not an aggressive hit. It is a bit more subtle but still gets you going. Yerba mate has vitamins, minerals, polyphenols and antioxidants and we all know that green tea has profound health benefits including antioxidants, while protecting against cancer and is an excellent metabolism booster.
Antioxidants + Superfoods
– Find foods that will give this juice a powerful punch of extra nutrients. I chose to use Goji Berries and Hibiscus Tea, both have loads of vitamin C and give this drink a beautiful red glow.
– For this I am using Ginger and Turmeric. When you exercise, the body is produces lactic acid and other waste build up. There is also the added stress on your muscles and joints that can cause micro levels of inflammation which can build up in our cells and tissues. So why not help to protect them before you work out?
– Most pre workout mixes have added sugars or are sugar free and have an strong after taste. Luckily with the addition of hibiscus and goji berries – a natural sweetness come through without any impact on your blood sugar levels (or very little). This is a good thing!
Our newest fat-burning dessert recipe book just released and we’ve reserved a free digital copy for you! Click the button and simply let me know where you want us to email it and you’ll have it in your inbox today…Grab my free copy
So with all of this in mind, I took the liberty to make myself an epic brew of goodness that I can sip on first thing in the morning before I tackle the gym, a spin class, yoga or just doing free style resistance training in my home. It’s a hydrating and refreshing way to start the day, naturally!
This Super Brew Has:
2 tea bags of yerba mate
2 tbsp hibiscus leaves (in teabag)
1 tbsp green tea with goji berries (in teabag)
1 tsp powered turmeric (organic traditions)
1 tsp ginger powder (organic traditions)
Steep the tea bags in a large pot hot water (approximately 8 cups) and then let it cool. Pour into a tall glass water bottle or jug that can seal air tight.
From here I mixed this with 1 scoop of Sunwarrior’s Ormus super greens, Thirsty Buddha coconut water and some drops of Giddy Yoyo reishi. This has now become my new morning pre workout fuel. So far I have tested it out with spinning, yoga and going to the gym – and it has been a success!
This article was republished with permission from marniwasserman.com.
A Special Message From Our Founders
Over the past few years of working with health experts all over the world, there’s one major insight we’ve learned.
Most health problems can often be resolved with a good diet, exercise and a few powerful superfoods. In fact, we’ve gone through hundreds of scientific papers and ‘superfood’ claims and only selected the top 5% that are:
- Backed by scientific research
- Simple to use
We then put this valuable information into the Superfood as Medicine Guide: a 100+ page guide on the 7 most powerful superfoods available, including:
- Exact dosages for every health ailment
- DIY recipes to create your own products
- Simple recipes